LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Standard wheel rims...?

Might be worth while looking in here first, as we post the most frequently asked questions within here!

Standard wheel rims...?

Postby Andy B.L.C. » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:36 am

Lost 3 sets of beyond serviceable Innocenti rims (when I say that I mean pairs) with the van (another story!). So these days what are the recommendations...? BGM?/Scootopia? & why are they not sold as a pair...?!
Andy B.L.C.

Re: Standard wheel rims...?

Postby Tractorman » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:18 am

I think you must be miss reading the scootopia rim wording, Andy. I think what they mean when they say 2 per scooter.
Tractorman

Postby Storkfoot » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:51 am

I bought a couple of Scootopia ones a few weeks back. The rims themselves appear fine but whoever does the powder coating puts it on way too thick which makes getting the tyres on more difficult than it needs to be.
Storkfoot

Postby gizmo » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:59 pm

I've used the imola safe ones from Cambridge lambretta. Nice finish and fit
gizmo

Postby Toddy » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:39 pm

Storkfoot wrote:I bought a couple of Scootopia ones a few weeks back. The rims themselves appear fine but whoever does the powder coating puts it on way too thick which makes getting the tyres on more difficult than it needs to be.

Paul I found the same very hard to get tyres on I find the fa Italia better
Toddy

Postby Andy B.L.C. » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:16 pm

Tractorman wrote:I think you must be miss reading the scootopia rim wording, Andy. I think what they mean when they say 2 per scooter.

Think you're right, it was late/early... :lol:
Andy B.L.C.

Postby citydaz » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:21 pm

Toddy wrote:
Storkfoot wrote:I bought a couple of Scootopia ones a few weeks back. The rims themselves appear fine but whoever does the powder coating puts it on way too thick which makes getting the tyres on more difficult than it needs to be.

Paul I found the same very hard to get tyres on I find the fa Italia better

+1, had to send 1 set back as the powder coating completely covered the threads of the bolts.
citydaz

Postby ULC Soulagent » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:04 pm

I’ve used both Fa Italia and scootopia versions, as said above the heavy coating on the scootopia rims can be a right pain in the arse. No issues with the fa italia rims 8-)
ULC Soulagent

Postby davla » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:14 pm

Scootopia or FA Italia for me. Never had an issue fitting tyres on Scootopia rims, just use some tyre lube and let the air push them on when you pump them up.
davla

Postby Storkfoot » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:16 pm

Since I last posted, I sent an email to Scootopia just to give them feedback.

They have replied and thanked me. They are working with the manufacturer to improve the rims of the wheels and the powder coating.

As an aside, they mentioned that with tyres now being produced as tubeless, that has exacerbated any issues.
Storkfoot

Postby citydaz » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:01 pm

That explains why it took me about 3 days to fit tyres (Conti twists) to two scootopia rims just before christmas.
Back in the day it would taken about 10 mins per tyre!
One of the tyres still isnt sitting quite right, but i will wait till its warmer before attempting to wrestle with it again
citydaz

Postby Andy B.L.C. » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:25 am

The higher speed rated tyres, with the crosswired sidewalls will always beat an SC83 (or whatever) from back in the day & sometimes take a vice & then inflating to fit... Shouldn't but can...
Andy B.L.C.

Postby Storkfoot » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:57 am

citydaz wrote:That explains why it took me about 3 days to fit tyres (Conti twists) to two scootopia rims just before christmas.
One of the tyres still isnt sitting quite right, but i will wait till its warmer before attempting to wrestle with it again

You may have done this already but, if you put tyre soap on the tyre and rim before you inflate the inner tube, the tyre soap will ease the tyre to get to the edge of the rim.
Storkfoot

Postby citydaz » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:54 pm

Storkfoot wrote:
citydaz wrote:That explains why it took me about 3 days to fit tyres (Conti twists) to two scootopia rims just before christmas.

You may have done this already but, if you put tyre soap on the tyre and rim before you inflate the inner tube, the tyre soap will ease the tyre to get to the edge of the rim.

Thanks for the advice - i think i will definitely buy some tyre soap / lube to help me when i come to re-fit it.
citydaz

Return to Frequently Asked Questions