LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Disc brake spindle nuts

Might be worth while looking in here first, as we post the most frequently asked questions within here!

Disc brake spindle nuts

Postby Marrsy7 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:04 pm

Hi all I’m just on fitting a hydraulic front disc brake to my gp and the original spindle nuts don’t fit anybody know wot size nut and thread I will need to buy ? Cheers
Marrsy7

Re: Disc brake spindle nuts

Postby dickie » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:17 pm

Marrsy7 wrote:Hi all I’m just on fitting a hydraulic front disc brake to my gp and the original spindle nuts don’t fit anybody know wot size nut and thread I will need to buy ? Cheers

I've just had this problem on 2 hubs from different suppliers.

The thread should be 12 x 1.5mm and both mine were as were the nuts I had.

However, the threads on the spindle and the nuts were badly cut. I tried nuts from different suppliers and some were better than others. I found stainless were worst.

So I bought a die nut and tap. The die nut would not go down the spindle as it was so bad that my vice (not the best vice around) would not hold the spindle. But I improved the nuts with the tap enough that I could get them.onto the spindle. Still a little tight but ok.

Which hub have you got?
dickie

Postby hullygully » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:34 pm

be careful as they're a fine thread
hullygully

Postby steveg » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:41 pm

I swapped the axle and used standard nuts
steveg

Postby hullygully » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:45 pm

dickie wrote:
Marrsy7 wrote:Hi all I’m just on fitting a hydraulic front disc brake to my gp and the original spindle nuts don’t fit anybody know wot size nut and thread I will need to buy ? Cheers

I've just had this problem on 2 hubs from different suppliers.

The thread should be 12 x 1.5mm and both mine were as were the nuts I had.

However, the threads on the spindle and the nuts were badly cut. I tried nuts from different suppliers and some were better than others. I found stainless were worst.

So I bought a die nut and tap. The die nut would not go down the spindle as it was so bad that my vice (not the best vice around) would not hold the spindle. But I improved the nuts with the tap enough that I could get them.onto the spindle. Still a little tight but ok.

Which hub have you got?

I broke a die holder on a mates new spindle :shock:
hullygully

Postby Scootie32 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:19 pm

Just had the same problem. I had stainless nuts and when fitting one of the nuts caught up and could not be undone. Had to grind the nut off. I ran a die nut down both sides and the amount of swarf that came off was frightening! Fitted some original Italian spindle nuts and all is good. Why can’t these manufacturers cut a decent thread?
Scootie32

Postby Fast n Furious » Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:39 pm

hullygully wrote:be careful as they're a fine thread

+1
M12 x 1.5mm pitch.
Fast n Furious

Postby dickie » Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:19 pm

Use goop with stainless fasteners. Not a big deal on little stuff like m6, but bugger stuff like hub nuts will gall up easily, especially if the threads are badly cut.
dickie

Return to Frequently Asked Questions