LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Anti-theft systems

Might be worth while looking in here first, as we post the most frequently asked questions within here!

Anti-theft systems

Postby Bothie » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:21 am

What are folks doing to help stop theft of bikes if left unattended?
Are there any easy ways to disable the bike to make it harder to steal?
Bothie

Re: Anti-theft systems

Postby missing lynx » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:06 pm

Not really, You can chain it to something solid, if I park mine I try to leave it somewhere busy but awkward to lift as to me the main threat with classic scooters is a gang in a van. I use a large insurance rated chain and lock to deter opportunists and I try to leave my scooter outside my house for as short a time as possible and this may seem paranoid if I have the same vehicle behind me when I'm heading home I'll go round the block a couple of times
missing lynx

Postby Scootie32 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:15 pm

I use a screamer disc lock. I only have to bump into my scooter and it screams for 10 seconds then shuts off. Also you can’t push the scooter. If some one tries to move it the screaming continues. I realise if you don’t have an external disc on the front this limits it’s use. A small loop welded on underneath would work.
Scootie32

Postby bookertmgs1 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:52 pm

Loop welded onto stand & put a chain through that to another scooter or a solid object

Its more about deterant rather than stopping the theft. If someone wants it they'll nick it

- Just have make it more hassle to nick yours rather than something else at a rally
- generally I dont leave it unattended for much more than a couple of mins - most thefts from the street use a van. If you are really worried about someone riding off on it - take suppressor cap off or remove spark plug and put a duff one in its place
bookertmgs1

Postby hullygully » Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:42 pm

bookertmgs1 wrote:Loop welded onto stand & put a chain through that to another scooter or a solid object

Its more about deterant rather than stopping the theft. If someone wants it they'll nick it

- Just have make it more hassle to nick yours rather than something else at a rally
- generally I dont leave it unattended for much more than a couple of mins - most thefts from the street use a van. If you are really worried about someone riding off on it - take suppressor cap off or remove spark plug and put a duff one in its place

+1
hullygully

Postby citydaz » Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:04 pm

Taking my dl frame to the welders to get a loop welded on the underside on Friday.
Also getting some brackets welded onto the inside of the side panels and will attach a cable and padlock through them to prevent the panels from being illegally removed.
I think the more chains, & padlocks you have the better, as the thieving scumbags being lazy will always target an easier option.
citydaz

Postby GRTDKAD » Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:38 am

Managed to buy an Oxford Nemesis chain at a discount price; £114 instead of £190! It’s not really portable (it weighs a ton) but is great in the garage attached to a ground anchor. The lock that it comes with can be used as a disc lock.

I’m also trying the Monimoto 7 tracker. Sends a message to your phone if the bike moves without the dongle near to it. Can then track the scooter to the nearest canal/camp/wasteland/container port (delete as appropriate).
GRTDKAD

Postby hullygully » Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:06 am

GRTDKAD wrote:Managed to buy an Oxford Nemesis chain at a discount price; £114 instead of £190! It’s not really portable (it weighs a ton) but is great in the garage attached to a ground anchor. The lock that it comes with can be used as a disc lock.

I’m also trying the Monimoto 7 tracker. Sends a message to your phone if the bike moves without the dongle near to it. Can then track the scooter to the nearest canal/camp/wasteland/container port (delete as appropriate).

now that would be handy, gives you time to get booted up & get the boyz aready 8-)
hullygully

Postby Marksoul » Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:06 am

I use Oxford disc lock and Oxford thick chain I find these very good
Marksoul

Postby bbb » Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:42 am

GRTDKAD wrote:I’m also trying the Monimoto 7 tracker. Sends a message to your phone if the bike moves without the dongle near to it. Can then track the scooter to the nearest canal/camp/wasteland/container port (delete as appropriate).

Do you have any positive/negative feedback on this as I’ve been looking at fitting one
Cheers
bbb

Postby GRTDKAD » Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:58 am

bbb wrote:
GRTDKAD wrote:I’m also trying the Monimoto 7 tracker. Sends a message to your phone if the bike moves without the dongle near to it. Can then track the scooter to the nearest canal/camp/wasteland/container port (delete as appropriate).

Do you have any positive/negative feedback on this as I’ve been looking at fitting one
Cheers

I have bought a second one for my other GP. They are more or less fit-and-forget. You receive a daily health status text from the tracker and that’s about it. I’m pretty happy with them. Good peace of mind.

I have bought the latest version-7 of the Monimoto. No discounts around but if you have TopCashBack you can get decent %age back from various retailers. I bought mine from Demon Tweeks.
GRTDKAD

Postby nickw » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:48 pm

I bought the earlier version and it has worked very well. Following a RTA a while ago, Police put scooter in a compound and I had a friend pick scooter up and deliver it home. I was able to use tracker to see where it had been stored, when my friend picked it up and I was able to follow its journey home. All from my hospital bed lol.
nickw

Postby GRTDKAD » Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:33 pm

nickw wrote:I was able to use tracker to see where it had been stored, when my friend picked it up and I was able to follow its journey home. All from my hospital bed lol.

Nice :)
GRTDKAD

Return to Frequently Asked Questions