LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

What type of Horn should my 67 SX200 have DC or AC

Might be worth while looking in here first, as we post the most frequently asked questions within here!

What type of Horn should my 67 SX200 have DC or AC

Postby Trevor S » Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:20 pm

My 1967 SX200 has a battery. The horn just goes click with the ignition on or engine running. It could be I have the wrong horn, or it could be US.
Before I dismantle the front to get to it, what type of horn should it be, DC or AC? I suppose it likely the scooter ran without a battery in the past. Would it need a change of horn type to work without a battery?
The electrics are all original 6 volt system. Before anyone chirp's up, it will not be changed to 12 volt while it all works nicely.
Trevor S
Trevor S

Re: What type of Horn should my 67 SX200 have DC or AC

Postby Fast n Furious » Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:46 am

You need a 6V DC horn.
Originals are available albeit a bit pricey.
As it is a component not on dispaly, then most people just use the cheap Taiwanese made generic equivalents which are much cheaper.
Fast n Furious

Postby missing lynx » Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:40 pm

As said it should be 6v DC. Before you buy another check the connections (make sure you've got power going to it) and that the diaphragm isn't stuck there maybe a nut in the middle of the front with an adjuster try slackening that of the give the horn a couple of taps with a hammer this may do the trick then adjust the pin in the middle of the nut (this changes the tone) ten tighten the nut. Your horn may be buggered but it's worth a try.
missing lynx

Postby nsaints » Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:43 pm

My GP had this issue using a DC horn

Thankfully I managed to sort it out cleaning the contacts inside the DC horn and then using the adjusting screw on the back of the horn. It’s only a DC horn that has contacts similar to ignition points and a screw to make an adjustment to set the noise output AFAIK

I’m glad I took the trouble to fix an original horn rather than give up and buy a new horn which would likely be inferior
I have no idea if modern DC horns can be adjusted in a similar way.
nsaints

Postby Trevor S » Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:40 pm

Thanks for the replies on the horn.
I am loath to remove the horn casting again, but I just need to suck it up.
Trevor S
Trevor S

Return to Frequently Asked Questions