LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Rear hub not worked loose

Might be worth while looking in here first, as we post the most frequently asked questions within here!

Rear hub not worked loose

Postby Gsparky » Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:41 am

Hi all, I took my scooter for an mot yesterday, which it passed, he did say the rear brake was bottoming out which would need adjusting, however I wanted to put some miles on it as I recently put a new scootopia 185 kit, within about 10 miles I didn’t seem to have much power in fourth gear so had to keep dropping back to third which after a while worried me I thought the top end may be seizing, eventually it would hardly move, luckily outside berkhamstead golf club, struggled to push it over the chipping/putting green and put her on the stand, engine ticking over lovely by the way! The rear wheel hub nut was missing but the locking washer was still in place albeit rounded! Any ideas how this could of happened?, the threads on the lay shaft look ok!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gsparky

Re: Rear hub not worked loose

Postby Storkfoot » Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:46 am

Some locking rings have a too large a chamfer at the bottom. This allows, on occasion, for the nut to work loose and ride over the locking nut. Personally, I’d buy new locking ring too.

You also need to check that the cone is the correct type for the hub itself and that there is a shim underneath the cone.

What make of hub is it?
Storkfoot

Postby Gsparky » Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:25 am

Looking at sticky’s book it’s a li/sx type, there is no makers mark, I have ordered a new hub and cone from Cambridge lambretta and new hub nut kit, I also ordered a longer type hub nut and thicker locking washer from mb, the shim was in place before cone
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gsparky

Postby Fast n Furious » Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:06 pm

That hub and cone are definately goosed. :(
Fast n Furious

Postby hullygully » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:04 am

you were lucky there bud, I'd go for Broadys locking washer kit every day, nut is sq @ the base, sits ace in washer, washer has no play on nut,
last weekend put a new nut @ washer kit on mates LI that he cheaply bought off evil bay, (S****n Scooters) & the nut spun in the locking washer due to a chamfer @ base of nut!!!!!!!!!!!! a f**king rider killer :evil:
hullygully

Postby Gsparky » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:15 pm

Thanks, yes I was lucky and hopefully wiser from now on!
Gsparky

Postby Lord-Spanner » Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:19 am

Not sure if this would apply here but currently going through a resto myself, I ordered a cone (early S3 type) from scooter restorations and a new hub nut, shim and locking ring (with 3 cap head screws to hold it in place) from MB, on inspection of the new cone it looked different to the old one I took out (different taper), I tried both old and new cones in the rear hub, the new one fitted bang on with the correct taper, but the old one was the incorrect taper that had been fitted while in Italy :shock: where there scooter originates from, so the moral of the story is, never presume if it came to you like it that the correct parts have been fitted by the last person who owned it.

It does seem to be the case (certainly on my scooter) that if something went wrong or broke, bodgeitandscarper would come out the woodwork to fix it, I've found a few self tapping screws just wound in to a threaded alloy part cause they lost the original screw, though I guess they were only slow cheap shopping carts and in there millions so anything would do to keep it running and on the road. :roll:
Lord-Spanner

Postby gizmo » Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:21 am

Lord-Spanner wrote:Not sure if this would apply here but currently going through a resto myself, I ordered a cone (early S3 type) from scooter restorations and a new hub nut, shim and locking ring (with 3 cap head screws to hold it in place) from MB, on inspection of the new cone it looked different to the old one I took out (different taper), I tried both old and new cones in the rear hub, the new one fitted bang on with the correct taper, but the old one was the incorrect taper that had been fitted while in Italy :shock: where there scooter originates from, so the moral of the story is, never presume if it came to you like it that the correct parts have been fitted by the last person who owned it.

It does seem to be the case (certainly on my scooter) that if something went wrong or broke, bodgeitandscarper would come out the woodwork to fix it, I've found a few self tapping screws just wound in to a threaded alloy part cause they lost the original screw, though I guess they were only slow cheap shopping carts and in there millions so anything would do to keep it running and on the road. :roll:
Agree, I bought a gp imported from Italy complete with mud. It was same. Billy bodge it. SX mudguard, self tappers in where a bolt should be. Great hole cut in side panels. Must have been a farmyard run around. :lol:
gizmo

Postby Lord-Spanner » Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:34 pm

gizmo wrote:
Lord-Spanner wrote:Not sure if this would apply here but currently going through a resto myself, I ordered a cone (early S3 type) from scooter restorations and a new hub nut, shim and locking ring (with 3 cap head screws to hold it in place) from MB, on inspection of the new cone it looked different to the old one I took out (different taper), I tried both old and new cones in the rear hub, the new one fitted bang on with the correct taper, but the old one was the incorrect taper that had been fitted while in Italy :shock: where there scooter originates from, so the moral of the story is, never presume if it came to you like it that the correct parts have been fitted by the last person who owned it.

Agree, I bought a gp imported from Italy complete with mud. It was same. Billy bodge it. SX mudguard, self tappers in where a bolt should be. Great hole cut in side panels. Must have been a farmyard run around. :lol:

:shock: I had bucket loads of crusty mud which had dried like concrete and mud like critter nests as well. :mrgreen:
Lord-Spanner

Return to Frequently Asked Questions