LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Driving on reserve

Might be worth while looking in here first, as we post the most frequently asked questions within here!

Driving on reserve

Postby Gsparky » Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:22 am

I have been driving all the time lately on reserve position due to a post I saw and the fact that I rarely have more than half a tank of fuel, no issues at all but I wanted to make sure it’s ok to do so, the post I saw before stated that he always rode on reserve fuel tap position to reduce the chance of fuel starvation and heat seizure?
Gsparky

Re: Driving on reserve

Postby MickYork » Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:26 am

Yup, mines on reserve all the time
MickYork

Postby Rich Oswald » Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:13 pm

I always put on reserve after 50 miles, especially when fast riding as IMO, going on to reserve, starves the barrel piston, rings and crank bearings of lubrication which is not good for any of them.
If you can judge the amount of fuel you have then there is nothing wrong with riding with the tap in the reserve position.
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby Solid Air » Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:06 pm

I'm on reserve all the time too, fixes a potential problem.... as long as you don't empty the tank while you're ragging it on full chat :lol:
Solid Air

Postby bookertmgs1 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:41 am

Depends on how regularly & how far you ride.

I ride on reserve - but I always start a journey with a full tank which will give me a max of 90 ish miles. We will generally stop well before (60/70'ish) that point to fill up anyway. After an hour or so riding - then its time to stretch your legs anyway

I can see that if you are a local potterer then it maybe hard to judge how far you've ridden over the course of a month.
bookertmgs1

Postby bsso78 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:17 am

Always run on “reserve”. Strictly speaking it’s not reserve it just feeds fuel from the bottom of the tap and not through a small tube. The length of the feeder tube denotes when you need to go on “reserve”.
bsso78

Postby ULC Soulagent » Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:37 am

I go against the grain and run main only but I’m getting roughly 100/120 miles on main ( depending on my pace) and have roughly 20 miles on reserve and by that time then I’m thinking about getting off for a coffee n fuel stop. Horses for Courses for everyone I suppose 8-)
ULC Soulagent

Return to Frequently Asked Questions