LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

2 stroke oil

Might be worth while looking in here first, as we post the most frequently asked questions within here!

2 stroke oil

Postby Marksoul » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:15 am

Can anybody reccomend a good 2 stroke oil for my Lanny tv 175 with 225 mugello thanks mark
Marksoul

Re: 2 stroke oil

Postby Rich Oswald » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:33 pm

Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby MickYork » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:09 pm

I use the Exol fully synthetic. There used to be a LCGB code you could use to get a small discount, don't know if the code is still available ?

TBH you don't hear of many bad 2T oils and the deciding factor usually comes down to cost.
MickYork

Postby Rich Oswald » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:39 pm

MickYork wrote:I use the Exol fully synthetic. There used to be a LCGB code you could use to get a small discount, don't know if the code is still available ?

TBH you don't hear of many bad 2T oils and the deciding factor usually comes down to cost.

Each to their own but I've stopped using Exol a couple of years ago due to major issues. I now use the oil in the link above. Highly recommended by Scotty and the DSC Race Team. I've 5l of Exol in my garage that anyone can come and get if they want it.

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Postby Tractorman » Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:48 pm

Rich Oswald wrote:
MickYork wrote:I use the Exol fully synthetic. There used to be a LCGB code you could use to get a small discount, don't know if the code is still available ?

Each to their own but I've stopped using Exol a couple of years ago due to major issues. I now use the oil in the link above. Highly recommended by Scotty and the DSC Race Team. I've 5l of Exol in my garage that anyone can come and get if they want it.

Rich'

I agree with your comments regards Exol I had problems with both my scooters using it. I have been using Rock oil groundsman since without any problems.
Tractorman

Postby Rich Oswald » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:17 pm

Tractorman wrote:
Rich Oswald wrote:

Rich'

I agree with your comments regards Exol I had problems with both my scooters using it. I have been using Rock oil groundsman since without any problems.

Agreed David, Exol is cheap, that's why people use it but it has issues. Groundsman is cheap also but i've not heard of anyone having issues with that.

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Postby rowly » Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:21 pm

Rich Oswald wrote:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303982522676?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=sedlIGgKSai&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=b789fo83Q7-&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Sorry to resurrect an old post but I'm on the hunt for a new oil to use after just having to have a new RT225 kit fitted to my series one after the old kit was totaled (Nicasil irregularly worn on one side of the barrel and rings badly worn, crank also twisted) I've been running 3% Exol optima fully synth and E5 fuel for years. The mechanic who did the work reckons the oil is very likely to be the reason.

Is the oil in the above link still giving good results? How about the Rock Oil Groundsman is that still recommended? Anyone tried Stihl HP Super? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/385716577245?epid=9027198346&hash=item59ce7fe3dd:g:VUEAAOSwriVknDuw&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwCupaOAAJf0Zy7lNrZIwWUUD8Dnc%2F9bXqZD98C%2F3Ur%2BWVqctiqa0puJPpyt8pWYtfI811yychyzoSy%2FZB68Z7VvdWRLGGc0P1btYp%2F8M0gKffysmfmoKXluPUUHXFJYVOhPn0ttApPxeDYP3AbtBkm27jJUXZDglBtlbkPJNC41DM0MENGiW2yFCGh%2FEApU4xE1WE8APXgTgHXLSyMgtEd4plsZjEBeHDwfOwe%2FK5BSu1fswV2BAbdP4QChfGT02MQ%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR5iw-9q-Yg
thanks In advance!
rowly

Postby Rich Oswald » Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:39 am

rowly wrote:
Rich Oswald wrote:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303982522676?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=sedlIGgKSai&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=b789fo83Q7-&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Sorry to resurrect an old post but I'm on the hunt for a new oil to use after just having to have a new RT225 kit fitted to my series one after the old kit was totaled (Nicasil irregularly worn on one side of the barrel and rings badly worn, crank also twisted) I've been running 3% Exol optima fully synth and E5 fuel for years. The mechanic who did the work reckons the oil is very likely to be the reason.

Is the oil in the above link still giving good results? How about the Rock Oil Groundsman is that still recommended? Anyone tried Stihl HP Super? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/385716577245?epid=9027198346&hash=item59ce7fe3dd:g:VUEAAOSwriVknDuw&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwCupaOAAJf0Zy7lNrZIwWUUD8Dnc%2F9bXqZD98C%2F3Ur%2BWVqctiqa0puJPpyt8pWYtfI811yychyzoSy%2FZB68Z7VvdWRLGGc0P1btYp%2F8M0gKffysmfmoKXluPUUHXFJYVOhPn0ttApPxeDYP3AbtBkm27jJUXZDglBtlbkPJNC41DM0MENGiW2yFCGh%2FEApU4xE1WE8APXgTgHXLSyMgtEd4plsZjEBeHDwfOwe%2FK5BSu1fswV2BAbdP4QChfGT02MQ%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR5iw-9q-Yg
thanks In advance!

I am still using the Smith and Allen Powertech Ultra with no issues.

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Postby Tractorman » Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:55 am

I have been using Groundsman for several years now without problems unlike the issues I had with exol.
Tractorman

Postby rowly » Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:21 pm

Thanks chaps - just ordered some of the Smith & Allen.
rowly

Postby Toddy » Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:16 pm

Rock oil Groundsman covered a few miles with it
Toddy

Postby GP Kevo » Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:40 am

I use Motul 800 Road Race 2T in my TS1 Annihilator and it's still going well for 20 years.
GP Kevo

Postby Speedy Hufton » Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:33 pm

Lots of good opinions here and I hope yer get sorted. Now personally because I'm curious I use 3 different ones in my 3 lambretta motors, well I did, now just 2. I've always run 4% but I like to personally. Now my ts1 225 was Rock oil synthesis injector, my cast gt200 kit is putoline classic scooter x ester tech fully synthetic and in my jet 200, open mouth cast iron, Ralph saxelby stage 4 200, I use SIP Race fully synthetic.
Now lots love Rock oil and that's fine, but in 4,880 miles I have had a b grade and d grade piston(asso), now a replate back to Agrade oh and now big end bearing , so new crank built for it. Not impressed with it especially since its so pricey. Swapped to the putoline in this, 2,000 mile check and its fantastic. No carbon, film on crank, bore, piston and head but nothing stuck in, like Exol always did, so top oil I think. Finally the SIP race. 10,000 mile strip on open carb!!! Yes wrong I know but I've a spare crank, pistons and rings in that and oversized too. I was amazed because I hammer this scooter always. Full bore on motorway and in for fuel, straight out again and full bore, everything a cast iron hates!!!! Strip down for check and minimum new rings, yikes, I couldna believe it. No carbon, the polishing on the ports was as new, film protection brilliant and no carbon. Only changed the plug twice in 10k also. I've treated her to new rings, that's it. Price on this has gone up due to brex shit, but I've just bought a case at £90, 12 litres. £7.50 a litre. So there yer go. Cheers, Speedy
Speedy Hufton

Postby bookertmgs1 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:54 pm

Speedy Hufton wrote:Lots of good opinions here and I hope yer get sorted. Now personally because I'm curious I use 3 different ones in my 3 lambretta motors, well I did, now just 2. I've always run 4% but I like to personally. Now my ts1 225 was Rock oil synthesis injector, my cast gt200 kit is putoline classic scooter x ester tech fully synthetic and in my jet 200, open mouth cast iron, Ralph saxelby stage 4 200, I use SIP Race fully synthetic.
Now lots love Rock oil and that's fine, but in 4,880 miles I have had a b grade and d grade piston(asso), now a replate back to Agrade oh and now big end bearing , so new crank built for it. Not impressed with it especially since its so pricey. Swapped to the putoline in this, 2,000 mile check and its fantastic. No carbon, film on crank, bore, piston and head but nothing stuck in, like Exol always did, so top oil I think. Finally the SIP race. 10,000 mile strip on open carb!!! Yes wrong I know but I've a spare crank, pistons and rings in that and oversized too. I was amazed because I hammer this scooter always. Full bore on motorway and in for fuel, straight out again and full bore, everything a cast iron hates!!!! Strip down for check and minimum new rings, yikes, I couldna believe it. No carbon, the polishing on the ports was as new, film protection brilliant and no carbon. Only changed the plug twice in 10k also. I've treated her to new rings, that's it. Price on this has gone up due to brex shit, but I've just bought a case at £90, 12 litres. £7.50 a litre. So there yer go. Cheers, Speedy

Thats a good price - but not sure where you are loacted. Just looked on the SIP website & with the VAT / duties / handling charges it comes out at £139.30 for a case delivered in UK - so £11.60 a litre.

Are you buying it from a different place to get £7.50 litre
bookertmgs1

Postby Speedy Hufton » Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:28 pm

I am mate and that's expensive I think. On the rallies disco dave sells at£10 a litre and I bought mine from my mate And Butler, Midland Scooter Solutions, V@@@a club committee. There's a lad from Stoke that trades at rallies with a lot of being stuff and I seen last August he was selling it at £7.50 a litre. Hope this helps. Pm me if yer need Andy Butlers number. I'm based in Swadlincote, South Derbyshire and he's in Ilkeston Derbyshire.
Speedy Hufton

Postby Speedy Hufton » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:43 pm

Just to add to this he sells at £9.00 per litre individually, or 3x 1 litres for£24. I've just checked and I must offer an apology here as I was wrong. I paid £8.00 per litre based on me collecting a case, I was looking at the previous receipt for that price, but still a lot cheaper than what you've been looking at. The Smith and Allen seems good with those running it but what always amazes me is the Rock oil groundsman. Loads of folk use it and never seem fut have an issue, yet its semi synthetic strimmer/ chainsaw oil ffs. :shock: . If yer spoke to a Rock oil representative and said yer were gonna use it, they'd panic and say don't, whatever you do, don't!!!! But I suppose they're after promoting their oils at 4x the price. I wouldn't use it, but stacks do and it seems fut do them all ok. Sorry I went off topic but there yer go, £8.00 a litre, fully synthetic and its good. With me I've ditched using 3 oils, basically an experiment, and am sticking with the putoline classic scooter x ester tech 100% synthetic and the sip formula race fully synthetic. Why both? I have isdues :lol:
Speedy Hufton

Postby Toddy » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:44 pm

Groundsman is good but the price is rising due to popularity :(
Toddy

Postby Speedy Hufton » Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:11 pm

Toddy wrote:Groundsman is good but the price is rising due to popularity :(

I bet there's loads of landscaping businesses out there planning on giving the scootering bretheren a rayt good hiding :lol:
Speedy Hufton

Postby shamrockexpress » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:31 am

Talking of horticulture oils i,ve been using semi-synthetic Oregan 2 stroke for years and never an issue. If canadian chainsaws can run all day at 10k revs i cant see why my moped should have any issues. costs under 30 quid still for 5 litres.
Each to their own , this works for me on most of my lammies and vespas.
btw my tuned TS1 only gets Motul 8000 (just in case) :D
shamrockexpress

Return to Frequently Asked Questions