LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

shot/bead blasting bad, acid dipping good?

Might be worth while looking in here first, as we post the most frequently asked questions within here!

shot/bead blasting bad, acid dipping good?

Postby Andy B.L.C. » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:10 am

I appreciate that blasting panel work is potentially bad news, as in warping/bending etc. My question is, pertinent to the different processes proximity to where I live & the costs thereof. Has anyone had any issue after blasting a frame (tuff enuff to take the process surely)? I've heard the chemicals secreted in an out of the way frame nook space not being rinsed out properly & eating their way out of a subsequent spray job nightmare stories...? Thanking you in advance!
Andy B.L.C.

Re: shot/bead blasting bad, acid dipping good?

Postby steve t » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:26 pm

I had a frame ,panels and legshields chemical stripped about 4 years ago made a fantastic job been painted shortly after no issues I think it's a lot kinder than blasting they came back with the same amount of damage as they went with . When I get round to doing my next resto I'll do it again . It was painted and primed with 2 pack paint
steve t

Postby sunrisemac » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:20 pm

I had all my stuff including panels soda blasted with no problems
sunrisemac

Postby Andy B.L.C. » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:39 pm

Nice1, ta boys! Carrying distance(ish) blasting on frame & internet bought (that apparantly actually work...) strippers for the rest. Which leads to the next question any ideas of how to neutralise/wash off any remnant stripper before applying paint..? Ta up front
Andy B.L.C.

Postby Fast n Furious » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:51 am

I used to work for a scaffold hire company when I was a teenager.
One day a lad brought in a Lammy frame for shot blasting.
It came out looking like it had just gone through world war 3

If you're basting it, be care how industrial it is. Thankfully, there are much kinder solutions available today. :o
Fast n Furious

Postby Jim Rose » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:43 am

My project is currently with a powdercoater. They "lightly dusted" everything but on the engineers advice he pressure tested the new tanks again and a hole had appeared. Even with with a lite blast damage can occur and I'd prefer chemical any day.

When I chemical strip stuff I neutralise it with meths
Jim Rose

Postby coaster » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:04 am

You need to find a blaster that knows what he is doing, I took my Jet to a guy operating out of a farm building in Norfolk. When I visited he was busy blasting a stripped out slit screen VW bus, I talked to him about what I wanted him to do and he explained that he would use a lower pressure on some parts to avoid any distortion. He did it all including the headset with no damage that I could detect other than exposing some small areas of corrosion damage that needed welding. Paid about £60 but that was a few years ago now. It all needed rubbing over lightly with emery cloth after though as the surface 'held' tiny bits of grit and I would also advise masking over the frame number especially with Spanish frames as they can be a bit faint to start with and will almost disappear with a decent coat of paint :?
That said, if soda blasting is available near you it would be kinder to your panels but I likely to be relatively expensive.
coaster

Return to Frequently Asked Questions