LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

VIN or Frame Number Location LC 1950 Model

Might be worth while looking in here first, as we post the most frequently asked questions within here!

VIN or Frame Number Location LC 1950 Model

Postby LambrettaJourney » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:13 pm

Hi All,

I have a 1950 Italian Lambretta 125 LC (with side panels). I have various original documentation verifying the frame and engine number and two owners ( Log book for Italian owner in June 1951, and this looks like it's first registration and sold in 1955 to a second owner). It also still has the original number plate rusted onto it. The engine number is where it should be and easy to read (on the side and 6 numbers) . However, I am not able to find the frame number (6 number prefix). I have carefully removed the paint from areas where the frame number should be to no avail ( right hand side of the vertical frame tube directly in front of the rear wheel - above the engine number?). I have also carefully removed paint from the side frame part and around the frame where the engine is (front and back part of the frame near the engine) and where I can get access to under the seating area.

I read somewhere that some frame number were under the rear seat (In the D models - without side panels?).

My last thoughts are that it started out in life as a D model and frame number placed under the rear seat area and then made into a LC model (with the outer frame them put on top - I hope that makes sense) and sold in 1951, or during frame number printing, it was placed under the rear seat area. If that was the case, I would need to remove the outer part and weld it back on just to see it. The other possibility is that at some stage of it's life, the frame number was rubbed off. It had around two layers of paint on it and I assumed that when I removed the paint, I would get to the frame number.

I am going to strip it soon, but have an inspection being carried out this week and at home for UK registration, so would like to know where the frame number is in case the inspection person asks to see it prior to reporting back to the DVLA to register a non transferable UK plate.

Thanks for your help.
LambrettaJourney

Re: VIN or Frame Number Location LC 1950 Model

Postby roli150lam » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:51 pm

May be better posting this question in the Anorak Corner.LD etc section.It,s possible you may get a response there.
roli150lam

Postby Rich Oswald » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:06 am

The frame number is located on the left-hand side of the front engine mount bracket (close to the low voltage current supply).

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby LambrettaJourney » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:12 pm

Roli150lam - thank you for the comment. I did not know about that area and will also review it in the future when researching for information.

Rich - thanks also for the information. After careful paint stripping in that area, I was able to find the VIN and matched it to the log book as well. I have spent a good few hours looking for it over the last week and trying to research where it might be online, to no avail. I would never have looked in that area (tucked right out of the way) and would probably have only found it after stripping it down in the coming months. I'm now in a position to point it out to the inspector during tomorrows report if they ask to see it. Very much appreciated.

All the best... John (LambrettaJourney)
LambrettaJourney

Postby Rich Oswald » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:07 pm

LambrettaJourney wrote:Roli150lam - thank you for the comment. I did not know about that area and will also review it in the future when researching for information.

Rich - thanks also for the information. After careful paint stripping in that area, I was able to find the VIN and matched it to the log book as well. I have spent a good few hours looking for it over the last week and trying to research where it might be online, to no avail. I would never have looked in that area (tucked right out of the way) and would probably have only found it after stripping it down in the coming months. I'm now in a position to point it out to the inspector during tomorrows report if they ask to see it. Very much appreciated.

All the best... John (LambrettaJourney)

You are welcome mate, best of luck with the inspection

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Return to Frequently Asked Questions