LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Oil and Petrol

Might be worth while looking in here first, as we post the most frequently asked questions within here!

Oil and Petrol

Postby Willamb » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:49 pm

Hi Guys
I'm just about to pick up a series 3 Li 150 in standard trim after a break from scootering of almost 50 years!
As things have moved on in terms of fuel and oil since my teens, I would welcome any advice on the best petrol and 2 stroke oil to use. I am more interested in keeping the bike running rather than speed and performance.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Willamb

Re: Oil and Petrol

Postby Tractorman » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:40 pm

Welcome to the forum. You have opened a can of worms here, Willamb so sit back and prepare for diverse opinions. IMO a semi-synthetic will be fine for your standard scooter and most standard octane fuels are OK.
Tractorman

Postby rossclark » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:27 am

The standard motor is designed to run on leaded 2 star at 4% of whatever could be found 50 years ago...

Nowadays with unleaded, various additives, detergents, ethanol etc. it is a bit of a lottery.

For a standard motor basic unleaded or if you're flush, super, with a good mineral or semi synthetic will be more than adequate. If you push on to a tuned motor then you should look to always use ethanol free petrol and at least a good quality semi synthetic oil designed to mix in tank.
rossclark

Postby citydaz » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:52 pm

For a standard-ish engine I would advise any fully synthetic oil at 3% mix.
citydaz

Return to Frequently Asked Questions