LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Insurance

Might be worth while looking in here first, as we post the most frequently asked questions within here!

Re: Insurance

Postby Fast n Furious » Fri May 19, 2017 12:37 am

If your scoot was registered 01/01/1976 it is now over 40 years old and became eligible for a class change to "Historic" on the 1st of April 2016.
If you've changed the class then not only is the excise tax duty at zero you can also use monochrome plates.
Fast n Furious

Postby St George » Fri May 19, 2017 4:49 pm

Bikesure insured my registered scoot yesterday without an MOT, they told me I am not insured to ride it unless I have a pre-booked MOT appt'. I have a brand new rear drum and brakes and a new complete front disc assembly with sintered pads. Somehow I have got to bed them in on the way to the MOT. !!!
St George

Postby Jim » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:21 pm

Rich Oswald wrote:
citydaz wrote:No, you have to get it insured first before you can register it and get an Mot

Sorry but you are incorrect. Insurance is not needed to register.

I'm just registering
Due you just leave the tax payable blank along with period of tax blank on the form then?
Jim

Postby Rich Oswald » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:36 pm

Jim wrote:
Rich Oswald wrote:
citydaz wrote:No, you have to get it insured first before you can register it and get an Mot

Sorry but you are incorrect. Insurance is not needed to register.

I'm just registering
Due you just leave the tax payable blank along with period of tax blank on the form then?

Leave Tax Payable blank and put 12 months in period.

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby Jim » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:21 pm

Thanks again rich
The forms going Monday fingers crossed
Jim

Postby Fast n Furious » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:10 am

solostax wrote:After finally getting around to putting an indian GP back on the road came across first problem . Confidant that the GP was fit for an MOT test with many new parts fitted and run up in back yard the scooter had not actually been road tested. So after booking an MOT I intended to serve two purposes in riding to the MOT station.
However when trying to add this scooter to the existing two scooters already on my insurance I was informed cover could not be arranged because the vehicle had no MOT. Despite trying to explain the logic of needing insurance to ride to the MOT station this Chicken and egg situation was unresolved.
The frustration in trying to talk to someone other than the ‘box ticker’ taking your details over the phone is immense. Now I’m left with the impression that it would be illegal for an Insurance company to issue cover for a vehicle liable for but without MOT, is this the case? I read that some LCGB members got insurance just on a frame no, I would appreciate a pointer to that insurance co.
The second problem is anticipated because I want to retain the Scooters White on Black number plate that came with it .This had obviously been in use by previous owners but reading the legislation on Gov.org regarding number plates see that the wording could be ambiguous to my MOT tester.
The crux of the matter is:- Driver & Vehicle Licensing Agency document “INF 104” page 11 states :-“Since April 2016 vehicles manufactured before 1 January 1976 can display the older style plates”
The terms “manufactured “and” Registered” appear quite often in their documentation and therefore taken to have specific meanings.
My only documentation I was given on purchase is the V5C Registration Certificate, that states “Date of first registration 01 01 1976.” (Thursday New years day ,public holiday in India ..ie probably no one manufacturing scooters on that day!!!!)
I need now to logically claim that given the date of first registration was 01 01 1976, it should be obvious that it was actually manufactured before this date and therefore qualifies for the Older style plates.
Is there a way of tracing the actual manufacture date from the frame number?

"Manufactured" or "registered" doesn't really matter in your case because the scoot turned 40 on 01/01/2016.
This means it became eligible for historic status from 01/04/2016.
When you go to the post office and tax the vehicle you just have to hand over the log book with the classification changed to "Historic" and it will get taxed for £0.00. They will happily send your log book to Swansea for update and it should get returned to you within 6 weeks.
Because it is now "Historic class" you can confidently sport those monochrome plates. No problems with the MOT or plod.
It's a bit academic anyway cos as of next May your scoot won't need anymore MOT's if it's more or less standard spec.
Fast n Furious

Previous

Return to Frequently Asked Questions