LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Insurance

Might be worth while looking in here first, as we post the most frequently asked questions within here!

Insurance

Postby Special » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:19 pm

Hi have insured my scooter as you have to to get it registered and had a letter today saying I have 30 days to give them the number plate which I don't have jet or they with cancel insurance,bit funny as they are getting money for a scooter that's not on the road because it has no number plate and is indoors so nobody can steal it,is this usual ?
Cheers
Special

Re: Insurance

Postby modster79 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:29 pm

Yes, any insurance company that will insure on a frame number will only give you 30 days.
modster79

Postby Special » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:42 pm

Cheers have sent everything off to DLVA but have heard it can take up to five weeks,fingers crossed,happy now I know they are not just picking on me
Special

Postby Phil D » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:01 pm

I thought you could register a vehicle without insurance .
Insurance is only required if you choose to tax at registration ????? or have I got this wrong ?
Phil D

Postby Special » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:16 am

I was doing both at the same time,on the V55/5 it did say send insurance with forms,don't think you can do it without
Special

Postby Rich Oswald » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:39 am

Phil D wrote:I thought you could register a vehicle without insurance .
Insurance is only required if you choose to tax at registration ????? or have I got this wrong ?

Correct Phil', it can be done without insurance but on receiving your reg' No from DVLA you need to immediately either Insure and tax it or sorn it or you will be fined.
Special, it only normally takes about 2 weeks if everything is ok and you do not get selected for inspection.

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby Special » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:21 pm

Thanks for that,two weeks I can handle that
Special

Postby citydaz » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:59 pm

When i went through the process of registering my scoot, DVLA/HMRC or whoever, took longer than the 30 days so my insurance was cancelled and I had to reinsure with a different provider. Talk about money money for nothing - just how much risk is there in insuring a scooter that cannot be ridden due to red tape delays? :roll: :roll:
citydaz

Postby Special » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:12 am

Don't like the sound of that, did you lose all your money? you think the insurance would be put on hold
Now I am worried
Special

Postby Rich Oswald » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:38 pm

citydaz wrote:When i went through the process of registering my scoot, DVLA/HMRC or whoever, took longer than the 30 days so my insurance was cancelled and I had to reinsure with a different provider. Talk about money money for nothing - just how much risk is there in insuring a scooter that cannot be ridden due to red tape delays? :roll: :roll:

Don't insure it until you get your reg' No...............simple!
Rich Oswald

Postby citydaz » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:26 pm

No, you have to get it insured first before you can register it and get an Mot
citydaz

Postby Rich Oswald » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:28 pm

citydaz wrote:No, you have to get it insured first before you can register it and get an Mot

Sorry but you are incorrect. Insurance is not needed to register.
Rich Oswald

Postby citydaz » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:46 pm

sorry but you are incorrect.

If you look on the hmgov website, you will see that to get a vehicle registered it gives you a list of requrements, the last one in the list says you need an insurance certificate.
granted this only applies to residents of northern ireland.

so as not to upset our friends across the water lets call this a score draw! :lol:
citydaz

Postby Special » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:56 pm

Hi after a little bit of misinformation,I can stop stressing my registration turned up today,did have everything in place before I insured my scooter,it was the last thing I did,so my lammy is taxed as well,with hindsight I would have insured the most cost effective way instead of the bells and whistles insurance I had,but anyway Iam a happy bloke time to hit the road not literally I hope,thanks for the advice,did come on here for guidance,so thank you for the helpful posts
Special

Postby citydaz » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:07 pm

congratulations mate!
despite the complex rules and regulations youve done it.
ride safe
citydaz

Postby Jim Rose » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:15 pm

I have registered various scooters over the last couple of years. I have never insured them nor was I asked to. You get the NOVA, you get a dating certificate from Rich and you get an MOT based on the chassis number. You fill in the relevant bits of the form and you send it to the DVLA, Sometimes they inspect it and send you a plate other times they just send you a plate. The only exception to this is if you live in Northern Ireland where they do ask for insurance.

Why you want to waste you money is beyond me but it's your money
Jim Rose

Postby Special » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:14 am

citydaz wrote:congratulations mate!
despite the complex rules and regulations youve done it.
ride safe

Cheers
Special

Postby Special » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:31 am

Jim Rose wrote:I have registered various scooters over the last couple of years. I have never insured them nor was I asked to. You get the NOVA, you get a dating certificate from Rich and you get an MOT based on the chassis number. You fill in the relevant bits of the form and you send it to the DVLA, Sometimes they inspect it and send you a plate other times they just send you a plate. The only exception to this is if you live in Northern Ireland where they do ask for insurance.

Why you want to waste you money is beyond me but it's your money

Thanks this was my first time and I am trying to learn,they keep moving the goalposts and not having the benefit of a local DVLA office to check it all out,have to come on to this forum to find out,where you get different views on the subject,would have been nice if you put your thoughts in at the beginning .I wanted to insure mine and tax it at the same time, anyway was just unaware of the 30 day rule with my insurance,read somewhere on here that someone insured on the frame number and did not have a time limit,so people say different things.Its hard for a novice to work out what is best, anyway I have more knowledge now, thanks for your input
Special

Postby solostax » Wed May 17, 2017 1:52 pm

After finally getting around to putting an indian GP back on the road came across first problem . Confidant that the GP was fit for an MOT test with many new parts fitted and run up in back yard the scooter had not actually been road tested. So after booking an MOT I intended to serve two purposes in riding to the MOT station.
However when trying to add this scooter to the existing two scooters already on my insurance I was informed cover could not be arranged because the vehicle had no MOT. Despite trying to explain the logic of needing insurance to ride to the MOT station this Chicken and egg situation was unresolved.
The frustration in trying to talk to someone other than the ‘box ticker’ taking your details over the phone is immense. Now I’m left with the impression that it would be illegal for an Insurance company to issue cover for a vehicle liable for but without MOT, is this the case? I read that some LCGB members got insurance just on a frame no, I would appreciate a pointer to that insurance co.
The second problem is anticipated because I want to retain the Scooters White on Black number plate that came with it .This had obviously been in use by previous owners but reading the legislation on Gov.org regarding number plates see that the wording could be ambiguous to my MOT tester.
The crux of the matter is:- Driver & Vehicle Licensing Agency document “INF 104” page 11 states :-“Since April 2016 vehicles manufactured before 1 January 1976 can display the older style plates”
The terms “manufactured “and” Registered” appear quite often in their documentation and therefore taken to have specific meanings.
My only documentation I was given on purchase is the V5C Registration Certificate, that states “Date of first registration 01 01 1976.” (Thursday New years day ,public holiday in India ..ie probably no one manufacturing scooters on that day!!!!)
I need now to logically claim that given the date of first registration was 01 01 1976, it should be obvious that it was actually manufactured before this date and therefore qualifies for the Older style plates.
Is there a way of tracing the actual manufacture date from the frame number?
solostax

Postby Special » Thu May 18, 2017 7:08 pm

Hi when I insured my scooter,I wasn't asked about MOT when I questioned it,I was told that the scooter has to be road legal ie have a MOT, I think that means they will take your money but won't pay out because it doesn't have a MOT and therefore isn't road legal and you can get a dating certificate on the frame number
Special

Next

Return to Frequently Asked Questions