LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Insurance

Might be worth while looking in here first, as we post the most frequently asked questions within here!

Insurance

Postby steveiow » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:27 pm

Just got my renewal through from Carole Nash £172 for Serveta and two other Italian scooters. Footman James £138 same scooters, but then extra £20 to allow me to ride to work on them. Still a lot cheaper though. Also cannot seem to get them to understand that I've got an Imola 186cc in a 150 frame. I have 186cc on the V5 but every year I tell them and every year the insurance documents are wrong. Up until last year they changed them.They don't recognise a 186 cc as being a Lambretta engine size, 125, 150,175 & 200 are they only ones they recognise. Last year it was insured as a 150, but I m a bit dubious about this year as I don't want to give them a chance to wriggle out of any payment I might need in the unfortunate event of a claim. How do you all insure Imola, RT TS1s etc?. Should I say it's a 200cc as then it wouldn't confuse them? Or is that still not strictly legal?
steveiow

Re: Insurance

Postby Fast n Furious » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:39 pm

Hmmm. When I had 225's and 250's it was easier to just say it was a 200 just cos it saved a lot of bother even though it was technically incorrect. This was a long time ago.
Do insurance companies recognise these overbored sizes today?
I wonder how the boys with the LC350 bike engines shoehorned in fair?
Fast n Furious

Postby St George » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:53 pm

I would insure on the barrel size and engine number that backs up that size.
St George

Postby Fast n Furious » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:01 am

St George wrote:I would insure on the barrel size and engine number that backs up that size.

Yeah. A no brainer.
Fast n Furious

Postby Watfordwhite » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:34 am

Had no problem insuring mine as a 225, told them of the modifications. You know what insurance companies are like. ANY excuse not to pay out. Legalised robbery. It's also MOTed and registered as an LI225. Don't take the chance.
Watfordwhite

Postby MickYork » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:04 am

I've got an agreed valuation with FJ and listed virtually all modifications and none standard items......100/90 tyres, 225 kit, expansion exhaust, seat, legshield toolbox, pull down tensioner, etc, etc. It was quite a comprehensive list :) The additions and modifications didn't affect the cost of my insurance, so it's well worth doing.
MickYork

Postby Rich Oswald » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:58 pm

St George wrote:I would insure on the barrel size and engine number that backs up that size.

Absolutely not, I would advise against that totally. That WOULD give them an excuse to wriggle out of paying out.

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby Fast n Furious » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:36 pm

Rich Oswald wrote:

Absolutely not, I would advise against that totally. That WOULD give them an excuse to wriggle out of paying out.

Rich'

Fortunately, I've never had to make an insurance claim in all my 45 years of driving.
If I had to document all the changes on my bikes it would read like war and peace.
It all sounds like you're dammed if you do and dammed if you don't with machines that you don't want insurance companies to write off?
Fast n Furious

Postby steveiow » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:16 pm

Now legitimately insured as an Imola engined 186. Listed as modified only £10 different than their original quote. Works out at 17p a day Inc roadside recovery,so not too bad a deal. It took me 35 mins on the phone though, and they still list it as an L1 not an LI. But hey it's sorted for Shipston.
steveiow

Return to Frequently Asked Questions