LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Wave goodbye to hand signalling.

Whether you have seen an advert on the tv, a program ude on, sales leaflets, web sites, or other, discuss all forms of Lambretta media material in here.

Wave goodbye to hand signalling.

Postby solostax » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:18 am

The Brexit deadline is now geared to the last day of March 2019.As a consequence of Brexit ,the British Road Safety organisation have timed their presentation to coincide with the official untangling of European meddling.
So,on the first day of “freedom” (presumably the next day after the last day in March) they intend to have enabled certain changes. This they hope will become the historic first example of British independent legislation since the divorce.

Despite the recent concession to exempt 40 + year old vehicles from the MOT requirement ,there is a current proposal for the mandatory retrofitting of mechanical or electrical powered turn indicators to all road going historic vehicles.. This will obviously affect our vintage Lambrettas.

Before being offered for consultation to the interested organizations that represent such vehicles, the Road Safety group have forwarded their arguments backed by factual case study evidence to the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (dvsa@public.govdelivery.com) to consider “Justifying said amendments to the Road Traffic Act”.
Amongst many examples put forward to bolster their petition are the following reports detailing road traffic incidents involving veteran scooter riders and younger motorists which they claim illustrates the misunderstandings that can arise from the traditional art of hand signalling …These documented reports are being used as evidence to support their quest to make amendments to the Road Traffic Act. 1921 |(Equipment and usage) (sec F) (subsec
para 69).
Case#1-4-2019, The statement read in magistrate’s court outlining the “Road Rage” incident resulting in serious personal injury.This account was given by the car driver (charged with GBH.)

“As I was approaching the roundabout the road began to narrow from three to two lanes and at about 80 metres a Scooter suddenly surprised me on my left causing me a to swerve right.On making eye contact with the rider, he made a strange sign by outstretching his right arm out in my direction and rotating his hand in a clockwise manner.This I took to be a provocative gesture which I Immediately took offence at.Then whilst stationary at the roundabout and abreast of the rider, I responded with an offer to knock his blinking lights out ,but his retort about not needing blinking lights further enraged me .My intention to take the third exit from the roundabout changed when he then stuck out his left arm which I took to be an invitation to “sort it out” on the first exit’s grass verge.”

A further example from a confused motorist that phoned the police warning of a scooter rider seemingly drunk ...

Case # 1-4-2019
“As I followed the scooter onto the dual carriageway ,I observed the billowing blue smoke getting thicker.Believing the smelly bike was about to burst into flames I increased the distance between us by slowing down.Although the speed limit was 70 mph I could see the vehicle was struggling to attain even 40 mph and thought the rider either crazy or drunk to attempt a journey on such an old machine.Further evidence to support my suspicions arose when the rider started flailing his right arm about as if whipping an imaginary horse , in reverse. I eventually took this as an invitation for me to overtake him ,but as I was increasingly concerned for his welfare I continued following.
The final reason to call the police on my hands free mobile came when the rider suddenly alternated outstretched arms, first his left arm horizontally then his right arm making an up and down waving motion.My first thought was that he was preparing to abandon the moving vehicle and was deliberating whether to jump off to the left or right handside. However the scooter pulled into a layby and the rider commenced to lecture me regarding Highway Code signalling rules relevant to his 50 year old Lambretta , this at that time I believed to be pure fantasy which he was making up”.

Whilst the Road Safety Campaign organisers concede that most of the hand signals are still valid and shown in the Highway Code they maintain that hand signals are not easily seen during the period of dusk to dawn and that it would be more expedient to mandate the fitting of modern type signal equipment rather than an never ending expensive advertising campaign to remind or educate motorists of the relevant passages in the Highway code.

Clearly the generation gap between veteran motorcyclists and drivers of later experience gives cause for concern.Whilst still operating under valid Highway Code rules, the vintage rider’s art of hand signalling is alien to the modern day younger motorist that take for granted illuminated indicators.

In an effort to avoid the need for legislation and stop this proposal involving physical modification” in its tracks” ,a novel but credible compromise has been suggested by Mr Cedric Hootwhistle ,Chairman of the” Morris Dancing Bells and Whistles Association”., (and co-incidentally a Vintage Vespa rider) who knows from experience gained from formation Morris dancing the dangers of misunderstood movement intentions. I quote his approach…...
and solution:
“It has long been a fundamental requirement to prevent being repeatedly struck about the body and head by colleague’s sticks and or severe kicking injury caused by misunderstandings when performing our dance routines, for this very reason it was necessary to adopt certain safety practices.These now form part and parcel of our dancing and were evolved over the centuries. I see there are clear parallels within our passion and the vintage motorcycling community”.
“The problem of making clear and unambiguous turn signals from vehicles not originally fitted with such means might be solved by the mandatory wearing of coloured gloves.These should be Red , which shall be regarded as “Left “ , and Green signifying “Right”.The use of embedded LED bulbs in the gloves which only activate when the arm is outstretched will serve as illumination for nighttime use. The optional tying of a coloured ribbon weighted by a small bell from the wrists could also raise visibility. These add ons serve us well in traditional Morris Dancing where the casualty figures before and after adopting these attachments were drastic.
The fluorescent pigment used in the manufacture of the gloves and ribbons should be guaranteed to last at least 24 months and thereafter may be subject to an annual test by an authorised body.

Certain precautions to prevent the gloves being inadvertently turned inside out ,and then worn on the wrong hand indicating their opposite meaning must be incorporated during manufacture.It is suggested that sharp needle like protrusions are stuck to the outside surface to counter this.”

It is hoped that if ,by an early widespread voluntary adoption of this solution, the need for alternative mandatory legislation might be avoided.

If found acceptable by the Vehicle and Driver Standards , the “gloved answer” together with illustrated signal diagrams should be incorporated more prominently in future editions of the Highway Code together with a universal publicity campaign on Television and Press media.
In anticipation of an enthusiastic take up for this easy remedy ,the “Hootwhistle Glove Company” has started mass production of the gloves.
At the moment red gloves and green gloves are being produced at two different locations (to prevent staff pilfering) and are to be matched by size at the point of sale.However we have obtained several hundred pairs of pre market samples that are available online at a price of £22 (batteries not included).
As with most prototype projects there have been some manufacturing rejects that feature either too many or too few fingers, but can with a little twisting and “fist clenching” be made to fit.These of course are offered at a reduced price of 50p per pair,batteries included ,post free.Further details at chootwhistle.con

The Ministry of Transport welcome any and all comment or advice on this subject and after consultation may forward their recommendations to Parliament for consideration.
solostax

Re: Wave goodbye to hand signalling.

Postby MickYork » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:31 am

should have waited till April before posting........ :D
MickYork

Postby Digger » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:42 am

Beat me to it.
Digger

Postby solostax » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:41 am

OK Mick
Just an 'early indication' of things to come to relieve the Brexit boredom. Spoofs for 1.4.2019.? yes indeed.
solostax

Postby Tractorman » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:20 pm

Back in the early 70's one of our club proudly showed off his new pair of gloves with lights in them for use when turning left or right. They consisted of a brass terminal on the thumb and forefinger so with your arm out you could tap them together making the light on the back of the glove flash. Each glove had it's own battery.
Tractorman

Postby solostax » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:36 pm

Jeez ,nothings new........,sounds a better way of doing it...........I'll get on to Hootwhistle , he' will change the tooling at the factories. Thanks for the info!!
Incidently,he was toying with the idea of cheek sensors to activate left or right..Touch sensitive pad stuck on both cheeks that when tongued from inside the mouth would trigger the appropriate signal. Had to give that up though ,test pilot just twisted his head to check the mirror prior to turning right, uneven air pressure fired a left turn ,confused the local traffic...spent three months in hospital.!!
W'eve only got four months to get this sorted....keep the ideas coming.
solostax

Postby missing lynx » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:03 pm

I don't see what the fuss is from what I can see when I'm out driving or riding most car drivers don't bother to use indicators anyway
missing lynx

Postby Digger » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:57 am

Sadly that would appear to be true of a lot of drivers.
Digger

Postby Tractorman » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:27 pm

Digger wrote:Sadly that would appear to be true of a lot of drivers.

I firmly believe drivers think a steel spike comes up through their seats and into their rectums every time they touch the indicator lever. :lol: :lol:
Tractorman

Postby solostax » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:12 pm

Fantastic idea Tractorman ,provided such a modification is not designed with devious sexual connotations! As a reminder aid ,Perhaps a spike SHOULD spring up if a turn is made without prior indication?
solostax

Postby solostax » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:33 pm

In reply to the many pms sent mainly casting doubt about Mr Hootwhiste's existence,some admitting they have never even heard of Morris dancing, whilst others not seeing the relevance to Lambrettas in the context of signalling.
I include links that addresses these issues. Clip #1
..1min 1sec Cedric Hootwhistle in action, guess who he is , (clue ,straggly beard and glasses) ……...3min1sec .Jack not signally clearly, nearly wallops Cedric. …...3min.59sec. That’s me sitting in the middle of the bench with my two girlfriends., ….8min28sec Cedric's’ old Vespa is appropriately parked up by the green ‘recycle me ‘rubbish bins and my purple GP is behind the hedge, .you might just make out the headset of Jack's SX Lambretta peeping over the wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V72qxbTu5ao

Clip#2
Mr Hootwhiste and myself in action .Coincidently, the group usually perform this dance to Desmond Dekker’s “Israelltes”.(Turn the volume down and start humming on the 1st stick beat.)
In closing, my reply to 'Mr Big Stuffs' suggestion that I have "dissed" Morris Dancing,. We Morris dancers have done more to resist the Bully Boy attitude of EU authority imposing on our hobbies than any other club. It was us who stuck two fingers up to their Health and safety directive to wear EU approved crash helmets with armour plated Upper torso aprons, chainmail trousers complete with crush resistant gloves when performing our routine. (That might make us look silly ). Let's send the EU a clear signal not to mess with lambrettas or …….Morris dancing!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCEuvvrU40c
solostax

Return to Lambretta in the media