LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Leaky carb

Want to know which carb to choose? Having problems setting up the jetting details on your scooter? Wheter you are using a standard or tuned carb, ask your question here.

Leaky carb

Postby Knowledge » Sun May 19, 2019 1:19 pm

After a bit of investigation into what was causing the petrol-mess on the inside of my panels, I now suspect it is the overflow from the carb (those two nozzles on the exterior wall of the slide compartment).

If this is the case, what could be causing the carb to discharge fuel from these breathers? How can I stop it happening?
Knowledge

Re: Leaky carb

Postby missing lynx » Sun May 19, 2019 2:08 pm

Wouldn't that be caused by the float sticking or not floating or a worn float needle causing the carb to flood. I get a petrol/oily mess on the inside of my panels but that because I run with an open carb
missing lynx

Postby Knowledge » Sun May 19, 2019 2:44 pm

I have gone to a lot of trouble to fit a filter to my carb, in order to banish the oily mess caused by open carbs, so I was surprised that there was any mess at all.

However, That was kind of what I was suspecting with respect to float heigh, float needles etc. The VHSH carb is new, so I was not expecting the needle and float jet to be the issue. The carb is not at an unusual angle, so I was not expecting the floats and float arm to be a problem, but perhaps this is where I should be looking.

Any thoughts as to what I should look for?
Knowledge

Postby missing lynx » Sun May 19, 2019 3:43 pm

First make sure the float floats. I would give the carb a good clean just in case there's any swarf from the manufacturing process left in it then with the float bowl off lower the carb into some petrol to make sure the whole float mechanism moves as it should (a glass bowl is handy for this) if all seems ok then it could be catching on the float bowl I hope this helps PS you could put 2 small tubes on the overflows place them in a tin leave the petrol on then if there's a problem with the float you should find petrol in the tin in the morning
missing lynx

Postby Knowledge » Tue May 21, 2019 12:52 pm

Thanks ML.

I have already put the tubes on the overflows and when I rode the scooter on Sunday, there was no mess inside the panel. It would be easy to say that the problem is solved, but there appears to be nothing dripping from the new tubes either.

I don't know whether to be pleased, or keep looking for the source. There is quite a smell of petrol in the workshop, but no obvious leaks.

Very odd.
Knowledge

Postby missing lynx » Tue May 21, 2019 8:01 pm

Try putting some cardboard under the scooter I had a fuel leak and all you see on the card is a faint out line of the fuel puddle
missing lynx

Postby Knowledge » Thu May 23, 2019 1:10 pm

Thanks ML. I think it is be membrane on the Suzuki tap that is fitted to my non-standard tank.

Whilst the carboard idea is sound, the fuel has been taking such an elaborate route, it would not have given me the answer. The answer came with a better work-light. :D
Knowledge

Return to Carburettors