LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Hot Starting Problem

Want to know which carb to choose? Having problems setting up the jetting details on your scooter? Wheter you are using a standard or tuned carb, ask your question here.

Hot Starting Problem

Postby LammySX » Sun May 19, 2019 8:09 pm

Hi, I am posting here as I think I have a carburetor/fuel problem.

Scenario

A modified SX200 starts first or second kick every time
After about 30/40 mins of riding if I switch off 9 times out of 10 it won't start. If switch off petrol and leave it half an hour and it starts on the first kick.

Very difficult to maintain tickover, always have to keep the revs up at traffic lights or it will die and I'll be stuck there for half an hour (;-) Sometimes I miss it and it dies, like a fuel starvation problem.

Initially thought it was flooding and got into the habit of switching off fuel for a few minutes before cutting the engine. Seemed to work for a while.

Stripped the carb, cleaned everything and blew jets with compressed air. Replaced float and a new red tip needle which was 1/32" longer than the one I took out. That seemed better but it's now gone back to a difficult hot start.

Drained the tank and cleaned all the crud out, measure flow 200ml per minute.

I am now thinking fast flow tap or new carb.

BTW if I am lucky enough to stop on a decent hill it bumps every time.

I am not thinking electrics at the moment

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
J

Regards

J
LammySX

Re: Hot Starting Problem

Postby MickYork » Sun May 19, 2019 8:23 pm

A few options, but all carb' related.

You're trapping fuel in your bellows and flooding. Some bellows have a drain on them to help overcome this.

Your pilot may be too large and/or your choke may be sticking and/or air filter may be blocked

90% sure it's carb' related.
MickYork

Postby LammySX » Sun May 19, 2019 10:18 pm

MickYork wrote:A few options, but all carb' related.

You're trapping fuel in your bellows and flooding. Some bellows have a drain on them to help overcome this.

Your pilot may be too large and/or your choke may be sticking and/or air filter may be blocked

It does have a drain and the choke sticking and or too large a pilot was my next options. Air filter is new

Is there any guidance available on choke adjustment/maintenance i.e. how would I know if it's sticking
LammySX

Postby rossclark » Sun May 19, 2019 10:42 pm

With the hose off you should be able to see the plunger lift / drop by looking down the front of the carb as you pull the cable. You need to make sure it closes off properly when shut and that the cable has a mm or two of slack before it operates off the lever.
rossclark

Postby CHRIS in MARGATE » Sun May 19, 2019 11:02 pm

I assume it is a SH1/20 or perhaps 22mm Jetex.
First question:
Has it always done this or did it just suddenly start?

What modifications to the SX200?

Silly fixes but try a new spark plug. Take the fuel cap off.
Have you by chance fitted an inline fuel filter.

Your rings might be worn. You need a compression test.
CHRIS in MARGATE

Postby Fast n Furious » Mon May 20, 2019 12:02 am

Could also be an air leak on the inlet side. This would also explain lousy tickover.
Fast n Furious

Postby LammySX » Mon May 20, 2019 7:29 am

CHRIS in MARGATE wrote:I assume it is a SH1/20 or perhaps 22mm Jetex.
First question:
Has it always done this or did it just suddenly start?

What modifications to the SX200?

Silly fixes but try a new spark plug. Take the fuel cap off.
Have you by chance fitted an inline fuel filter.

Your rings might be worn. You need a compression test.

Always done it, no modifications, new plug fitted, no filter, fuel cap off makes no difference although I can't see any visible signs of a breather I believe there are two types.
LammySX

Postby LammySX » Mon May 20, 2019 7:29 am

rossclark wrote:With the hose off you should be able to see the plunger lift / drop by looking down the front of the carb as you pull the cable. You need to make sure it closes off properly when shut and that the cable has a mm or two of slack before it operates off the lever.

Thanks, I'll take a look.
LammySX

Postby Rich Oswald » Mon May 20, 2019 10:05 am

If it is none of those, I am thinking worn rings,

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby LammySX » Mon May 20, 2019 12:23 pm

LammySX wrote:Hi, I am posting here as I think I have a carburetor/fuel problem.

Scenario

A modified SX200 starts first or second kick every time
After about 30/40 mins of riding if I switch off 9 times out of 10 it won't start. If switch off petrol and leave it half an hour and it starts on the first kick.

Very difficult to maintain tickover, always have to keep the revs up at traffic lights or it will die and I'll be stuck there for half an hour (;-) Sometimes I miss it and it dies, like a fuel starvation problem.

Initially thought it was flooding and got into the habit of switching off fuel for a few minutes before cutting the engine. Seemed to work for a while.

Stripped the carb, cleaned everything and blew jets with compressed air. Replaced float and a new red tip needle which was 1/32" longer than the one I took out. That seemed better but it's now gone back to a difficult hot start.

Drained the tank and cleaned all the crud out, measure flow 200ml per minute.

Update

I should have said, last week it was running at very high revs when I stopped. I didn't do anything, it resolved on its own

I am now thinking fast flow tap or new carb.

BTW if I am lucky enough to stop on a decent hill it bumps every time.

I am not thinking electrics at the moment

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
J

Regards

J
LammySX

Postby LammySX » Mon May 20, 2019 12:23 pm

I should have said, last week it was running at very high revs when I stopped. I didn't do anything, it resolved on its own
LammySX

Postby LammySX » Mon May 20, 2019 7:18 pm

MickYork wrote:A few options, but all carb' related.

Pilot is 48, that's standard - is going any lower beneficial?
LammySX

Postby MickYork » Mon May 20, 2019 7:25 pm

With the high revving it sounds like an air leak, definitely worth investigating.

Drop the size of the pilot, but plug chop and check you're not too lean. You can always go back to 48.
MickYork

Postby LammySX » Mon May 20, 2019 9:27 pm

Update

Looking on various threads I see that no throttle is recommended, I tried it tonight. Ran for 30 mins, switched off petrol before the engine and waited 5 mins. Started the first time, repeated the exercise three times with success, feeling chuffed I went for a spin while the sun was out and confidently stopped for the fourth time. Big mistake, couldn't get it started, tried fuel on and fuel off, eventually got it started after about twenty kicks, drove 100yds and it died. Then spent 45 minutes trying to get it started and ringing the RAC and the wife to bring me a plug spanner.

Faced with the prospect of being out in the cold until midnight which was the ETA of the RAC, I tried again with the choke on. It started after about three kicks.

So I have a hot/warm engine that needs the choke, what does that tell me?

J
LammySX

Postby MickYork » Mon May 20, 2019 10:21 pm

The choke adds more fuel, altering the ratio of fuel to air.......so you have either either too much air (air leak) or too little fuel (bigger pilot jet).

With the over rev' you mentioned previously this would point to an air leak.

An air leak can cause serious problems, with the potential of holing your piston.
MickYork

Postby CHRIS in MARGATE » Mon May 20, 2019 10:25 pm

If your carb is adjusted correctly and your engine is revving too high at tickover and is slow to return to idle then you most definitely have an overly weak mixture that is more often than not caused by an air leak.
Your initial posting stated that you had a modified SX 200.
CHRIS in MARGATE

Postby LammySX » Mon May 20, 2019 11:21 pm

CHRIS in MARGATE wrote:If your carb is adjusted correctly and your engine is revving too high at tickover and is slow to return to idle then you most definitely have an overly weak mixture that is more often than not caused by an air leak.
Your initial posting stated that you had a modified SX 200.

Hi Chris, it's definitely unmodified , that was a mistake (;-)

I'll need to look at the air leak possibility

John
Last edited by LammySX on Mon May 20, 2019 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LammySX

Postby LammySX » Mon May 20, 2019 11:23 pm

MickYork wrote:The choke adds more fuel, altering the ratio of fuel to air.......so you have either either too much air (air leak) or too little fuel (bigger pilot jet).

With the over rev' you mentioned previously this would point to an air leak.

An air leak can cause serious problems, with the potential of holing your piston.

Hi Mick, are you suggesting smaller or bigger pilot?
LammySX

Postby LammySX » Mon May 20, 2019 11:27 pm

Where would I start to look for an air leak?
LammySX

Postby rossclark » Tue May 21, 2019 12:31 am

you need to do a leak down test, basically find a means to pressurise the cylinder and crankcase and see how long it holds pressure for.

A simple way to do it is with the piston at BDC place a section of bicycle inner tube with one end over your carb manifold and the other over the end of your exhaust U bend. Pump it up to about 5 psi and see if it holds - if not start spraying soapy water round the various joints - inlet manifold, cylinder head, base gasket, round the mag housing etc.
rossclark

Next

Return to Carburettors