LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Is it ok

Want to know which carb to choose? Having problems setting up the jetting details on your scooter? Wheter you are using a standard or tuned carb, ask your question here.

Is it ok

Postby Steve Shoosmith » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:14 pm

Hi,
I have a 1966 Li125 italian original that I am refurbing. It has what I assume to be a standard DelOrto SH1/18 carb fitted. Would I jst need to upgrade the jetting if I fitted a (planned) 175 head and piston?
Cheers. Steve
Steve Shoosmith

Re: Is it ok

Postby bookertmgs1 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:02 pm

To be honest - you'd need to swap to a SH20 or 22

All depends on what kit you are fitting. If its an alloy 175 kit from ebay - steer clear - lots of bad reports on those.

If its a TV175 barrell head & piston from another scooter - then you;d need to change the crank, unless the piston isnt a stock piston.
bookertmgs1

Postby Scooterdude » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:38 pm

As above the cheap eBay 175 kits are dire as are the alloy ones from Beedspeed. When i was running my 175 conversion i had from Harry Barlow it was ok and I started off by using my existing sh18 then swapped to a Scootopia sh22 and to be honest it didn’t offer anything over the sh18.

If you can afford it get a better kit something like an RT195 (I really rate these) decent clubman and Delortto PHBL25 you can run this through the air box so as not to alter the look any.
Scooterdude

Postby CHRIS in MARGATE » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:26 pm

It will run OK with the 18mm and will need slifht upjetting. Best carb you could get would be an original 20mm. Bigger carbs don't necessarily give you any great gains; sometimes they just make the whole set up very fussy and not a pleasure to ride.
CHRIS in MARGATE

Postby Steve Shoosmith » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:39 pm

Thanks Guys,
I have a bit to think about. Currently just stripping the parts off and getting the original engine to start, then do the rebuild. Every comment is most appreciated.
Steve
Steve Shoosmith

Return to Carburettors