LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

PHBH anti surge washer

Want to know which carb to choose? Having problems setting up the jetting details on your scooter? Wheter you are using a standard or tuned carb, ask your question here.

PHBH anti surge washer

Postby Andy B.L.C. » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:02 pm

How important is it & is it an issue if it's missing...?
Andy B.L.C.

Re: PHBH anti surge washer

Postby ULC Soulagent » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:01 pm

I’ve always removed mine and ain’t had any issues ;)
Although I do think they helped in solid mounted carbs due to vibration :D just surmising on that point :mrgreen:
ULC Soulagent

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:12 am

According to the Dell'Orto carburettor technical document that describes most of their current range, the anti surge washer is important.

They would say that, though, wouldn't they? Having designed it for that range of carburettors. ;)

The document is available as a pdf & well worth a read. For example, there's mention of slide profiles & the best shapes for two strokes to avoid turbulence in the venturi.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Hat » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:56 am

pretty much impossible to know for sure, but if the carb is designed to have one, why not use one? you wouldn't leave off other carb parts on the basis that you're not sure of they do anything or not
Hat

Postby bolzenanker » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:34 am

You've lost it, haven't you Andy.
bolzenanker

Postby bolzenanker » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:36 am

Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote:According to the Dell'Orto carburettor technical document that describes most of their current range, the anti surge washer is important.

They would say that, though, wouldn't they? Having designed it for that range of carburettors. ;)

The document is available as a pdf & well worth a read. For example, there's mention of slide profiles & the best shapes for two strokes to avoid turbulence in the venturi.

I'd like to read that WT1, where can I find it (i know I'm being lazy).
bolzenanker

Postby dickie » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:18 pm

But if you fit it one, make sure it's the right way up.

Bloody nightmare to diagnose.
dickie

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:20 pm

These links are very good IMO. There is a lot of overlap within the two publications, but that may mean a better chance for the information to sink in.

Inevitably based upon their own products, the publications are still excellent for the principles of any carburettor's in general, though it should be remembered that not all manufacturer's products require everything that may be the norm for Dell'Orto. The shielding of the atomiser/needle as commonplace in Dell'Orto, Keihin etc may not be necessary in some other makes. Interestingly, despite references to power jets, I have yet to see any Dell'Ortos fitted with their own components, which probably explains the reasoning behind the choke being used as an enrichening device for WOT, compared to the solenoid operated power jet type as common with Kehin, for example.

There are some shortcomings to the publications IMO as far as the subject of float bowl capacity. Personally, I would not select any carburettor with a round slide for a two stroke under normal circumstances, but I do believe that the ageing design is biased toward gravity feeds that suit 'us' in general. With the VHBC's etc being a carburettor probably manufactured to meet demands of kart racing, flying etc, it would be good if there was information concerning float bowl capacities having consequences & the availability of the larger bowl.

With acknowledgements to both sites for hosting the pdf's.

https://www.dellorto.it/wp-content/uplo ... manual.pdf

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/mg_manual ... de_1.1.pdf
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Andy B.L.C. » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:50 pm

bolzenanker wrote:You've lost it, haven't you Andy.

Not yet... What you saying Warren...?! Not gonna get all libel on you this time... :lol:

Not my carb M8, just part of my ongoing am I or aren't I going to do miles on & dyno the RB20 lump that has migrated from the kitchen table into a roadready frame dilemma... On my own carbs I do however get all OCD & make sure 1 of the holes is directly over the idle jet mind... ;)

With thanks to all replies, filling gaps in my lack of knowledge is an ongoing project :D
Andy B.L.C.

Postby bolzenanker » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:35 pm

Andy B.L.C. wrote:
bolzenanker wrote:You've lost it, haven't you Andy.

On my own carbs I do however get all OCD & make sure 1 of the holes is directly over the idle jet mind... ;)

That's proper OCD, but now the seed is sown I shall be doing the same from now on.

Miss not bumping in to you Andy, hopefully not too long.

Take care mate.
bolzenanker

Postby bolzenanker » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:36 pm

Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote:These links are very good IMO

Thank you WT1.
bolzenanker

Return to Carburettors