LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Fuel starvation then high revs.

Want to know which carb to choose? Having problems setting up the jetting details on your scooter? Wheter you are using a standard or tuned carb, ask your question here.

Re: Fuel starvation then high revs.

Postby Watfordwhite » Thu May 04, 2017 5:32 pm

Thanks Grandpa,
Will give this a go. I may swap my Lambretta for a bus pass. More reliable...
Watfordwhite

Postby St George » Thu May 04, 2017 5:59 pm

Hi Martin. Have you got a spare carb you can put on the scooter just to answer the question. Unfortunately all I have is my OKO and a new Jetex otherwise you could borrow one. Keep at it mate.
Regards Colin
PS all my electrics are finished Yipee.
St George

Postby Watfordwhite » Thu May 04, 2017 10:27 pm

Thanks Colin, yes I have the same carb on the 175GP so plan to swap over the weekend just to see if that's the problem.
I do hope for a ride out on Sunday on either the S2 or the GP.
Well done on yours. I might come down to Essex one day on the S2 for a ride out with you mate.
Watfordwhite

Postby Watfordwhite » Sat May 06, 2017 9:39 am

A great read for those of us with little / no carb knowledge

http://bristollambretta.webs.com/dellorto_manual.pdf
Watfordwhite

Postby Watfordwhite » Sat May 06, 2017 3:58 pm

:D All working fine now. Stripped the carb once more this time with the diagram and below the float needle was a jet I didn't know as there. There was a massive bit of fluf in the jet. This was obviously blocking the flow and stopping the floats from closing. Blew that out. Rebuilt. Started first kick. Went for a run, and all is good with the world. Until the next time.

Thanks guys, I could not of done this without all of your help and advise. Just in time for the club run tomorrow morning.
Watfordwhite

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Sat May 06, 2017 4:54 pm

Phew! :lol:

Well done & its great that you've let us all know the good news! ;)
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby St George » Sat May 06, 2017 5:02 pm

That was a good thread Martin. A lot of input from the boys and a learning curve for all. Till next time LOL.
St George

Postby bike grim » Sun May 21, 2017 6:47 am

Just out of interest, did you stick with the massive 158 main jet? The reason I ask is I am running a 138 in a Rapido with reed, 30mm PHBH and BGM clubman and I think that is on the big side but the ride and plug colour was telling me that it was ok. (266 atomiser and X7 needle on third clip and a breath sweet air filter) So I did a leak down test for the first time ever and there was a indeed a leak on the inlet manifold gasket. I have now stripped and rebuilt and will do another leakdown test later. I am expecting to down jet as a result of finding the air leak even though I had no real symptoms, just a gut feeling that 138 sounds too big. Or is it?
bike grim

Postby Watfordwhite » Sun May 21, 2017 7:14 am

Yes at the moment, but it's booked into JB to have the carb set up and dynoed. Strangely JB said it may show up an air leak.
Will let you know mate.
Watfordwhite

Postby ULC Soulagent » Tue May 23, 2017 5:31 pm

bike grim wrote:Just out of interest, did you stick with the massive 158 main jet? The reason I ask is I am running a 138 in a Rapido with reed, 30mm PHBH and BGM clubman and I think that is on the big side but the ride and plug colour was telling me that it was ok. (266 atomiser and X7 needle on third clip and a breath sweet air filter) So I did a leak down test for the first time ever and there was a indeed a leak on the inlet manifold gasket. I have now stripped and rebuilt and will do another leakdown test later. I am expecting to down jet as a result of finding the air leak even though I had no real symptoms, just a gut feeling that 138 sounds too big. Or is it?

Hi Gareth,
I'm running HB 240 now with a modified bgm clubman and 28 Vhst delly, currently on 135 main but I think it can come down a f w more points
ULC Soulagent

Postby bike grim » Tue May 23, 2017 8:20 pm

Cheers S. Dyno today. Sticking with the 138 main jet after all. Tried it with a 130 ( too lean) and 135 no real difference between that and the 138 so safety rules OK. Rather a tad rich.
bike grim

Postby ULC Soulagent » Wed May 24, 2017 2:34 pm

bike grim wrote:Cheers S. Dyno today. Sticking with the 138 main jet after all. Tried it with a 130 ( too lean) and 135 no real difference between that and the 138 so safety rules OK. Rather a tad rich.

Yes rich is better the devil ya know
ULC Soulagent

Postby Watfordwhite » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:54 pm

Quick up date. Been on some good run outs with little issuse (about 40 miles) However problem returns. This time weak spark. Changed Plug, HT lead and cap worked fine.
40 mile run, put it away. Got it out next week, wouldn't start. Checked plug, weak spark. Changed plug worked fine.
Changed over the coil from my GP same thing. Could this all of been a faulty stator plate braking down?
Watfordwhite

Postby grandpa » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:02 pm

Hi Watfordwhite,
I assume engine has good earth?
Grandpa
grandpa

Postby Fast n Furious » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:03 am

As Grandpa sez. Make sure all your earth's are in order.
Use a digital multimeter set on AC volts (200v or more scale)
Pull the green wire of the cdi (the one that goes to the ignition switch)
Connect the multimeter red lead to the now open terminal on the CDI box.
Connect the black lead to earth.
Start the engine.
It should read at least 60VAC at tickover and rise to around 200VAC when revved out.
If you're not getting this value then most likely the magneto primary coil is goosed.
It's quite a common problem.
Fast n Furious

Postby Watfordwhite » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:54 pm

Thanks Grandpa,
yes it's a copper earth lead from engine to frame to CDI bracket. New condition and all solid connections.
Working away in Goole ATM so won't get to test until the weekend.
Will this never end?
When it's going it's great, but feels like it's holding back a bit. Probably down to the jetting. Still trying to get it to PM for setting up.
Watfordwhite

Postby Watfordwhite » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:58 pm

Amuse a quick up date. After trying everything else I have had the stator replaced. I did about 40 miles on Sunday and all seams good. Still need to sort out the jetting next. But at the moment all is running well fingers crossed...
Watfordwhite

Postby St George » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:13 pm

Have you got a pet name for your scooter ? :D
St George

Postby Watfordwhite » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:00 pm

Named after the James Dean Porsche. Litle Bitch...

Out on the ride out last night, 30 degrees and it broke down again. Pushed it 3 1/2 miles back to the lock up. ( 1 1/2 hours )
So, all new jets and reed valuve ordered. It's the only thing left to change ( apart from getting a VE**a only kidding)

To top,off the week, just been told I'm to be made redundant tomorrow :roll: so now plenty of time to ride, but no scooter..
Watfordwhite

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:20 pm

Hey Mate.

Jumping in with both my feet :roll: I doubt that I'm the only one that would suspect the recent change of stator to be the root cause of this latest issue...

How is the spark?
Warkton Tornado No.1

PreviousNext

Return to Carburettors