LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Scootopia 22 mm or Jetex 22 mm

Want to know which carb to choose? Having problems setting up the jetting details on your scooter? Wheter you are using a standard or tuned carb, ask your question here.

Scootopia 22 mm or Jetex 22 mm

Postby St George » Tue May 30, 2017 4:37 pm

Just been looking at these carbs on the website. Obviously different makes, they both look like they came out of the same jelly-mould. Why is the Scootopia so much better, just a few jets and a slide, they don't seem to come with a manifold as standard. ? Thanks.
St George

Re: Scootopia 22 mm or Jetex 22 mm

Postby Samz » Tue May 30, 2017 8:27 pm

I bought a scootopia carb after struggling with trying to set up a jetex. To be honest I wasn't that impressed with quality of the scootopia carb. The manifold clamp stripped its threads the 2nd time of tightening and the carb top screws are pretty crap. The jets are supposed to be superior in quality and sizing to jetex ones but it's hard to tell without accurately measuring them. You do get 2 different slides and atomizers though.
I guess it's pot luck. If you happen to get a good jetex carb all well and good. Just don't expect paying a lot more for a scootopia one will automatically improve things or solve any problems.
TBH if I was buying again I would try and get a more modern carb instead of something designed 40+ years ago.
PS. no manifold included.
Samz

Postby burnside » Wed May 31, 2017 12:34 pm

Using Dellorto jets in Jetex carbs seems to resolve most of the issues, the other common fault with Jetex is sticking float but that is easily rectified. What the cost difference between a Scootopia version and a Jetex + dellorto jets?
burnside

Postby St George » Wed May 31, 2017 3:34 pm

I bought a Jetex a couple of years ago. I drilled the float straight away so it wouldn't stick and fitted Delly Jets. I put it on my scoot yesterday and it started quite well and was quite progressive. On the whole Ideal for local summer rideouts. The clamp looks stronger than the Scootopia version. All cables fitted perfect. It's got my vote.
St George

Postby Phil D » Wed May 31, 2017 4:03 pm

I know it's probably tempting fate but the Jetex on my Li works just great .
I've heard all the stories about them being crap but that's not my experience.

Granted they are not in the same league as all the performance must have stuff but if you run a more or less standard no frills Lambretta like me on a budget I couldn't be happier.

I would also add when you get the whole lot set up right the fun factor is worth all the grief.
Phil D

Postby HxPaul » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:11 pm

Samz wrote:I bought a scootopia carb after struggling with trying to set up a jetex. To be honest I wasn't that impressed with quality of the scootopia carb. The manifold clamp stripped its threads the 2nd time of tightening and the carb top screws are pretty crap. The jets are supposed to be superior in quality and sizing to jetex ones but it's hard to tell without accurately measuring them. You do get 2 different slides and atomizers though.
I guess it's pot luck. If you happen to get a good jetex carb all well and good. Just don't expect paying a lot more for a scootopia one will automatically improve things or solve any problems.
TBH if I was buying again I would try and get a more modern carb instead of something designed 40+ years ago.
PS. no manifold included.

The manifold clamp on a Scootopia carb doesn't tighten enough,when tightened fully you can still turn the carb on the manifold.I have used a Jetex manifold clamp.
HxPaul

Return to Carburettors