LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

SIP Active Sensor Install

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

SIP Active Sensor Install

Postby bennn » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:45 pm

Got my SIP speedo up and working today but cant get the active sensor to register properly.

Mounted it above the bolts for the SPAQ disc as I thought it'd pick up the bolts as they pass, but if I adjust it inwards on the bracket so the light on the sensor glows it doesn't go out if that makes sense, I'm thinking maybe because the bolt heads are so low profile.

Have attached pics (hopefully) so you lot can have a look and hopefully point out the error of my ways.. again!

Thanks, Ben.

ImageDSC_0257 by Ben Smith, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0258 by Ben Smith, on Flickr
bennn

Re: SIP Active Sensor Install

Postby Fast n Furious » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:50 am

Yes it looks like you have a lack of discrimination between the bolt heads and the disc.
I assume you've already done this but try adjusting the sensor so it only just lights up when directly over a bolt head.
If this doesn't work, then change one or all of the disc bolts for something with a higher head profile and repeat tests.
PS. Stainless and titanium bolts don't work as good as ferrous bolts when it comes to sensing with these inductive pick-ups.
Fast n Furious

Postby bennn » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:52 am

Thanks for the reply, thought this might be the case.

I have the magnet that I bought as part of the sensor kit, so I might just araldite that to the disc between two of the bolt heads and change the number of passes over the sensor from 5 to 1, the magnet seems to be pretty strong so I'm guessing will give a better signal to the sensor?

Thanks, Ben.
bennn

Postby Fast n Furious » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:25 am

Just checked that type of sensor you have there which is is a hall effect switch so it needs the magnet.
You cant use it like a reluctance pickup.
Fast n Furious

Postby bennn » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:06 am

OK thanks for the advice, will get the araldite out!

Thanks again, Ben.
bennn

Postby Andyf » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:42 pm

Fast n Furious wrote: Stainless and titanium bolts don't work as good as ferrous bolts when it comes to sensing with these inductive pick-ups.

Nor magnetic pickups I suspect.
Andyf

Return to Tuning & Kits