LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Scootopia Electronic Ignition

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Scootopia Electronic Ignition

Postby Brash » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:30 am

Anyone know if its possible to change it to static instead of variable timing? I'm using this on a standard tv175 and it ran better on the 4 pole static points system. I wouldn't of bothered changing if it wasn't for the dim lights , and car drivers that couldn't see me.
Brash

Re: Scootopia Electronic Ignition

Postby ULC Soulagent » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:44 am

Best bet is too point that question directly to Scootopia themselves as it’s probably down to the cdi trickery box. I’ve the new Ducati casatronic sport system but also bought spare standard cdi just in case I fancied going static ;)
ULC Soulagent

Postby Brash » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:00 am

Yeah, forgot to mention I asked scootopia if I could change the cdi to make it static and they said no , everything matched to work together.Surely it's the cdi that makes it variable though?
Brash

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:24 pm

if you have one of the usual CDI's - as adopted by most electronics - of the Piaggio/Ducati Electronica type, you should try that with a strobe in place of the Scootopia CDI supplied. I can't think it can do any harm to try.

The advance/retard trickery used to be built in to just the stator with, say, Motoplats but there are CDI's that perform the function, but they do tend to be an 'add on' or substitute.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby dickie » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:26 am

Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote:if you have one of the usual CDI's - as adopted by most electronics - of the Piaggio/Ducati Electronica type, you should try that with a strobe in place of the Scootopia CDI supplied. I can't think it can do any harm to try.

The advance/retard trickery used to be built in to just the stator with, say, Motoplats but there are CDI's that perform the function, but they do tend to be an 'add on' or substitute.

Mark I, don't think that's an option. The "ducati" type rely on a separate trigger pulse whereas scootopia and varitronic use the sine wave output from the coils to determine crank angle and generate an internal trigger. You could however just use it as a generator and add an external trigger. This is actually what I always do.
dickie

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:20 am

dickie wrote:
Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote:if you have one of the usual CDI's - as adopted by most electronics - of the Piaggio/Ducati Electronica type, you should try that with a strobe in place of the Scootopia CDI supplied. I can't think it can do any harm to try.

Mark I, don't think that's an option. The "ducati" type rely on a separate trigger pulse whereas scootopia and varitronic use the sine wave output from the coils to determine crank angle and generate an internal trigger. You could however just use it as a generator and add an external trigger. This is actually what I always do.

Many thanks for the information.

I bet you also know how to get a Motoplat tachometer to function on other systems that don't comprise a dedicated connection, which some Motoplat CDI's have.....

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14395
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby vegansydney » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:59 pm

BGM manufacture a CDI for all IDM type ignitions that has static timing. The idea behind it is that the default curve on the IDM type CDIs are not compatible with standard or touring tunes.
vegansydney

Postby Brash » Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:43 pm

vegansydney wrote:BGM manufacture a CDI for all IDM type ignitions that has static timing. The idea behind it is that the default curve on the IDM type CDIs are not compatible with standard or touring tunes.

This could be the way forward , thanks. I'll report my findings back on here when I've fitted one.
Brash

Postby dickie » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:32 pm

Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote:
Many thanks for the information.

I bet you also know how to get a Motoplat tachometer to function on other systems that don't comprise a dedicated connection, which some Motoplat CDI's have.....

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14395

I could, but it would take a bit of time, which I just don't seem to have at the moment. If you can wait for few months, I could do it.

The comments that "they can't be converted" would be better as "it's a bit tricky and I don't know how". Anything can be converted into anything. Didn't alchemists used to convert lead into gold? I might give that a shot when I have time :lol:
dickie

Postby bike grim » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:59 pm

https://www.readspeedscooters.com/produ ... -lamb.html

Brash, have a look at this…I’ve been looking at it. Also remember I bought a Vespatronic off you years ago for Smallframe? I’ve still got it and that’s got 4 curves..never tried it.
bike grim

Postby Leotech » Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:17 pm

I asked CamLam ages ago about a flat curve for a Varitronic as my Lambrettas are low revving and hardly get to the higher RPM, they said only option was to buy a programmable type CDI and program a flat curve. That option was about £250 quid or something stupid.

Not 100% but think the Scootoipa is a copy of the Varitronic.
Leotech

Postby vegansydney » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:56 am

Leotech wrote:I asked CamLam ages ago about a flat curve for a Varitronic as my Lambrettas are low revving and hardly get to the higher RPM, they said only option was to buy a programmable type CDI and program a flat curve. That option was about £250 quid or something stupid.

Or get one for €88 from SCK or your local BGM dealer.
vegansydney

Postby Leotech » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:04 am

vegansydney wrote:
Leotech wrote:I asked CamLam ages ago about a flat curve for a Varitronic as my Lambrettas are low revving and hardly get to the higher RPM, they said only option was to buy a programmable type CDI and program a flat curve. That option was about £250 quid or something stupid.

Or get one for €88 from SCK or your local BGM dealer.

They must be new ish, never seen them before, I asked years ago.
Leotech

Postby missing lynx » Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:13 pm

I don't think your problem will be solved going to static timing as it won't change the output to the rectifier
missing lynx

Postby vegansydney » Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:04 am

If you're trying to improve the lighting output using an IDM type stator then this full DC conversion developed by Captain Pugwash is the way to go.
vegansydney

Postby corrado » Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:33 pm

I'm probably not the only one who had to "Google" it. :mrgreen:

As mentioned above, IDM is used as an acronym in text messages to represent Ignition Diagnostic Module.
corrado

Return to Tuning & Kits