LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Gearing help

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Gearing help

Postby coaster » Fri May 20, 2022 10:36 pm

I have a Grand Tourisimo 200 engine in one of my scoots and it struggles on hills and into head winds so suspect that the gearing needs ganging as its currently 4.7: 1(LiS 124 20/47). Its been suggested that it needs to be close to 5:1. a 19 tooth front sprocket would give 4.95:1 or I could change the box to Li150 with 16/47 which gives 4.8:1. Which combo would be preferable?

Cheers

Colin
coaster

Re: Gearing help

Postby Leotech » Sat May 21, 2022 10:36 am

My GT200 kit ran a Li150 box with standard sprockets. I tried lots of different combinations but always came back to that for all round use.

It had a CST3 pipe and it was in a series 2 chassis.
Leotech

Postby hullygully » Sat May 21, 2022 11:16 am

"My GT200 kit ran a Li150 box with standard sprockets. I tried lots of different combinations but always came back to that for all round use." +1 8-)
SX200 = 1:4.82, std sprockets, but I allways use a 47T clutch to give it a bit of umph, 1:4.92
TV200 = 1:4.46, nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
GP200 = 1:5.22,
hullygully

Postby coaster » Sat May 21, 2022 12:53 pm

Thanks for the replies which confirm the need to go higher on the gearing but I have a couple of options in achieving it and at the back of my mind is giving the clutch the easiest time possible and speed that the gears are spinning at which is probably not going to be much of a factor at the speeds that I ride at anyway ;)
coaster

Postby Storkfoot » Sat May 21, 2022 2:32 pm

In my opinion, mate, you should also do something about changing the Supertourer exhaust at the same time. Whilst I have only ever used a Supertourer on a TS1, it was only after I replaced it with a CST3 that my life changed for the better :D

If you want, you could have my version 1 mb/bgm Clubman although it needs a cut and weld as there’s something rattling inside. This served me well for many thousands of miles on a GT186. I suspect it would suit the GT200 very well too. I replaced it with a Ron Moss Avanti which allows my GT186 to rev on more but the mb/bgm, in my opinion, is worth the occasional cut and weld :)
Storkfoot

Postby coaster » Sat May 21, 2022 4:38 pm

Storkfoot wrote:In my opinion, mate, you should also do something about changing the Supertourer exhaust at the same time. Whilst I have only ever used a Supertourer on a TS1, it was only after I replaced it with a CST3 that my life changed for the better :D

If you want, you could have my version 1 mb/bgm Clubman although it needs a cut and weld as there’s something rattling inside. This served me well for many thousands of miles on a GT186. I suspect it would suit the GT200 very well too. I replaced it with a Ron Moss Avanti which allows my GT186 to rev on more but the mb/bgm, in my opinion, is worth the occasional cut and weld :)

I appreciate the offer mate but I reckon thw gearing change will sort it out, its absolutely fine in 3rd, no hesitation at all
coaster

Postby Leotech » Sat May 21, 2022 7:22 pm

Storkfoot wrote:In my opinion, mate, you should also do something about changing the Supertourer exhaust at the same time. Whilst I have only ever used a Supertourer on a TS1, it was only after I replaced it with a CST3 that my life changed for the better :D

Having tired various pipes and all of those above I will concur, the Supertourer, I'd have to say both the BGM box and CST3 were much better on the GT200. The ST didn't have any where near as much low down and unless you revved the tits off it it didn't have much more up top. The GT is quite low revving and the ST is aimed more towards TS1 type power delivery. I even ran my GT200 with an AF 48 twin pipe box and it ran great with that too. I found box pipe and standard LI150 gearing to be the best, the CST liked the same gearing too. CST revved on a tad more BGM had a bit more round the country lanes.

I didn't try an ex box on the GT200, I have one now on my RT and I cant find a fault with the power it makes.
Leotech

Postby ULC Soulagent » Sun May 22, 2022 9:26 am

I’d go with the 19t front sprocket change as the cheapest option providing ya have an 83 link chain and believe the larger sprocket gives the clutch an easier life. Agree on the Supertourer( not a great pipe) on my old setup which ran 4.8 gearing
ULC Soulagent

Postby coaster » Sun May 22, 2022 5:27 pm

Thanks fellas, I did purchase an unused pipe a couple of years ago as it was advertised as a Fran Race and it hung in my garrage awaiting firment to my GT240 but when I went to swap it onto the GT200 I realised it was another Supertourer :roll: Cant recall who or where I bought it from now :? at getting on for £500 for a race Ill be selling both of the Supers first ;)
coaster

Postby burnside » Thu May 26, 2022 4:24 pm

Colin, I'm running Li150 17/46 (4.6) in my GT200, but that's with a BGM clubman mk1, and that pulls really well, I started with 16/47 (4.99) but that was under-geared. I spoke to Richard T about exhausts when buying the kit and he advised not to use a Supertourer but to go with a Fran Race instead if going down the expansion route (when they were still available). If changing pipe now I'd look at either the ex-box or CST3.
burnside

Return to Tuning & Kits