LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Bgm flywheel. Weak spark.

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Bgm flywheel. Weak spark.

Postby Jimmyjames » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:39 pm

Hi all , this is a very frustrating problem i have ,
Recently upgraded to a new flywheel stator and kytronic kit
Had a issue first of all with the CDI ,changed to BGM one ,
Changed stator as i thought this was faulty ,
After all that its really hard to start very weak spark.
When you finaly get it going its great works well as it should ,but i am baffled as to what is wrong all the readings from the stator are correct cant understand the weak spark ,
When you take the plug out and kick it over somtimes there's no spark at all.
Flumexed. :oops: .
Any advise would be appreciated.
Jim.
Jimmyjames

Re: Bgm flywheel. Weak spark.

Postby jonashford » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:50 pm

try ur old flywheel back on c if it improves, then try the bgm flywheel with out the kytronic, see if it will start,
jonashford

Postby Rich Oswald » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:52 pm

Recently came across a breakdown where the owner had tried 2 brand new BGM stators and both proved to be faulty,

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby mick094m » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:54 pm

have you thought about something simple like the HT lead and suppressor cap and spark plug, before going for the expensive stuff that would be the first I would check one by one to eliminate each one
mick094m

Postby foremanbob » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:20 pm

Check that you have a good continuity of a ground connection between the stator and the engine, and the engine and the CDI unit.

Recently I've also seen two cases where the flywheel had worn away the insulation on the stator leads to the CDI and was intermittently shorting them out....
foremanbob

Postby dscscotty » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:50 pm

I have recently had issue with new BGM stators that have appeared to have been faulty, however on further investigation it was found that the back of the stator had been machined to deep and required packing out by 1.5mm or so. Once this was done the pick-up re-aligned with the flywheel correctly and solved theproblem.
dscscotty

Postby Jimmyjames » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:32 am

dscscotty wrote:I have recently had issue with new BGM stators that have appeared to have been faulty, however on further investigation it was found that the back of the stator had been machined to deep and required packing out by 1.5mm or so. Once this was done the pick-up re-aligned with the flywheel correctly and solved theproblem.

Well that sounds posible ,when i had the old indian fly on spark was stRong i think i will look at this option.
Will check and old indian stator and the BGM one for thickness.
Cheers.
Jimmyjames

Postby Jimmyjames » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:34 am

foremanbob wrote:Check that you have a good continuity of a ground connection between the stator and the engine, and the engine and the CDI unit.

Recently I've also seen two cases where the flywheel had worn away the insulation on the stator leads to the CDI and was intermittently shorting them out....

All good new everything :(
Jimmyjames

Postby Jimmyjames » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:35 am

mick094m wrote:have you thought about something simple like the HT lead and suppressor cap and spark plug, before going for the expensive stuff that would be the first I would check one by one to eliminate each one

All new mate.
Jimmyjames

Postby Jimmyjames » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:36 am

Rich Oswald wrote:Recently came across a breakdown where the owner had tried 2 brand new BGM stators and both proved to be faulty,

Rich'

Done the ohms test and all good.
Jimmyjames

Postby Jimmyjames » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:38 am

Thanks for the help lads looks like a big strip down again ,now of for an MOT this morning hope it gets me there. :shock:
Jimmyjames

Postby Jimmyjames » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:30 am

jonashford wrote:try ur old flywheel back on c if it improves, then try the bgm flywheel with out the kytronic, see if it will start,

Old fly hade to cut off ,issue with crap replacement nut.
But i do have a old lightened indian somewhere ,thats an option.
Jimmyjames

Postby Jimmyjames » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:34 am

Rich Oswald wrote:Recently came across a breakdown where the owner had tried 2 brand new BGM stators and both proved to be faulty,

Rich'
i think the Germans need to get there act in order
We pay enough for these goods .
Jimmyjames

Return to Tuning & Kits