LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Sputtering and lots of spit back? Reeds?

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Sputtering and lots of spit back? Reeds?

Postby Fat Trucker » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:31 pm

Hello needs some help please, this is my first reed valve engine so not sure.
Symptoms are very spluttery low down and lots of spit back, won't tick over anymore.
It's a GT240 with phbh 30mm carb. Not pick up as swapped to external pick up and still the same. Changed plug same.
80 miles from home is it safe to ride back if reeds damaged?
Cheers ove.
Fat Trucker

Re: Sputtering and lots of spit back? Reeds?

Postby ROClarke » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:59 pm

Fat Trucker wrote:Hello needs some help please, this is my first reed valve engine so not sure.
Symptoms are very spluttery low down and lots of spit back, won't tick over anymore.
It's a GT240 with phbh 30mm carb. Not pick up as swapped to external pick up and still the same. Changed plug same.
80 miles from home is it safe to ride back if reeds damaged?
Cheers ove.

Had the same problem with mine,changed reeds,CDI and was pulling my hair out!
Turned out to be head gasket in the end.
ROClarke

Postby al pushpak » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:34 am

Hi, first thing to check would be if your jetting is correct for your set-up ,that aside I had a similar problem on my ts 225 running a 30mm phbh, turned out to be a worn needle, fitted a new one & it sorted the problem, worth a try, hope this helps ;)
al pushpak

Postby coaster » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:38 am

How many miles as a matter of interest?
coaster

Postby Raveydavey » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:07 am

I would have thought it wouldn't start at all if the reeds were shot. Loads of spit back when kicking it over, flooding like hell. Won't run at all though? :?:
Raveydavey

Postby Scooterdude » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:10 pm

My RT 235 reed spits more so than any Lambretta ive seen, i was hoping it was a jetting issue but now its been professionally set up its just the same so must be more down to port timings I would have guessed, just got to learn to live with it im afraid.
Scooterdude

Postby Fat Trucker » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:21 pm

Just a quick update, rode the 80miles home on Sunday no extra problems. Had a quick check over this morning, re checked choke was fully closing, checked all jets still tight, started her up without the filter and from cold there is very little if any spitback. I've given the filter a good clean, I shall put it back together near the weekend and see what happens.
Colin I've done about 700miles that's all, are you thinking the rings might be worn?
Fat Trucker

Postby Fat Trucker » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:33 pm

Both petals on one side have splits in so I guess I've found the problem, but how common is it for both on one side to split but nothing on the opposite side?
I would put a photo on here but I've tried and I lost the will to fucking live.
ove
Fat Trucker

Postby holty » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:41 pm

oow yeah they are well past usable condition, i have heard of folks fitting 2 sets, maybe a call to rich taylor for his recomendation might be best
holty

Postby Fat Trucker » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:02 pm

Cheers holty, got in touch with Rich and said sometimes people double them up but that is only masking the problem as to why they are getting damaged in the first place. He thinks by looking at the petals that they got in that condition due to a bad spark i.e. Faulty spark plug/cdi/points.
Fat Trucker

Postby Covboy » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:14 pm

This was a duplicate
Last edited by Covboy on Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Covboy

Postby Covboy » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:15 pm

I blew two sets on a RB set up the issue turned out to be a faulty spark plug .
I also now double up my reeds after I blew a one on the way back from Belgium on my gt186
A very knowledgeable scooterist advise me to do this if using an expansion exhaust.
Covboy

Postby Fast n Furious » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:38 am

Reeds are subject to serious abuse during their lifespan and do weaken considerably in their time. They are a consumable service cost and as such need changing now and again before they break up. Unfortunately, a fixed mileage on these doesn't exist for various reasons.
If your current ones have given good service for the last 3000 miles before acting up then you can set this as a benchmark for those reeds. Different reed materials and designs will move this figure higher or lower.
It takes time to work out what works best.
I'm just about to retire the AF reedvalve in my TS1/200 which has done 4800 miles before feeling the performance loss, which I don't think is too bad considering the thrashing it gets.
Fast n Furious

Postby burnside » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:34 pm

It's recommended that you double up on reeds with the GT kits, I went through a set pretty quickly on my 1st kit and have doubled up ever since and not had any issues
burnside

Postby Fat Trucker » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:45 pm

Cheers for all replies, i take it it's best to double up both side?
ove
Fat Trucker

Postby burnside » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:20 am

Fat Trucker wrote:Cheers for all replies, i take it it's best to double up both side?
ove

I think you can get away with just doubling up on the exhaust port side but mine are doubled up on both, Eden does the same I believe
burnside

Return to Tuning & Kits