LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Retard, advance, retard add-on options?

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Retard, advance, retard add-on options?

Postby Adam_Winstone » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:02 am

Hi all,

I run a number of linear advance/retard profile add-on ignition modules (e.g. M-Tech & Agusto) on various motors and like what they do, however, I am building a high capacity motor and am looking to reduce the effort required to kick-start... and particularly looking to reduce the stress that the initially high advance puts through the transmission. As such, I am looking at my options for a profile more like the Varitronic profile, which starts low at low RPM, then quickly advances, then retards as per other units. This initially reduced advance for starting is key to my requirement.

Do any of the add-on modules offer such a profile or are they all linear?

I may well look towards the Varitronic (or other ignition kits that offer such a function) but was wondering whether they was such an add-on available, which may save over buying a whole kit and/or give options to chop and change in the future (the beauty of an add-on).

Cheers in advance (sorry for the poor pun!),

Adam
Adam_Winstone

Re: Retard, advance, retard add-on options?

Postby rossclark » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:03 pm

Isn't the Kepher unit fully programmable from your phone?
rossclark

Postby Toddy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:17 pm

rossclark wrote:Isn't the Kepher unit fully programmable from your phone?

You can programme on your Phone when the scooters running but you need to change it on the unit once the scooter stops as it reverts to the original setting , great App though
Toddy

Postby dickie » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:24 pm

The kytronic has a number of profiles similar to the varitronic but with differing retard angles and trip points. You change program by turning a switch to whatever curve you prefer a, b, c etc.

Personally I don't like the idea of using an app to programme the ignition because it just doesn't seem "garagey" enough for me. Not very scientific, I know, but that's the only argument I have. :D
dickie

Postby Fast n Furious » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:57 am

I use a programmable ignition which has its static timing set to 14 deg BTDC. The timing then quickly advances to 23 deg after 1600rpm.
It never kicks back when starting and the retarded timing gives a smooth tickover with the 1.8kilo flywheel.
Fast n Furious

Postby Adam_Winstone » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:28 pm

Sounds good. Certainly the function that I'm after, although I'd rather have a range of pre-set profiles. Something to think about, thanks.

Adam
Adam_Winstone

Postby martyn dwane » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:28 pm

Fast n Furious wrote:I use a programmable ignition which has its static timing set to 14 deg BTDC. The timing then quickly advances to 23 deg after 1600rpm.
It never kicks back when starting and the retarded timing gives a smooth tickover with the 1.8kilo flywheel.

What make are you using ?
martyn dwane

Postby Fast n Furious » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:28 pm

It was made by Nibbi. A Taiwan/Chinese group. They typically make carburetors for the Chinese scooter and quad scene. Unfortunately they don't seem to be available anymore, which is pity, as they were dead cheap. Foreseeing this, I bought a spare as a just in case.
If I see them advertised again I'll let you know.
Fast n Furious

Postby coaster » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:34 pm

Fast n Furious wrote:I use a programmable ignition which has its static timing set to 14 deg BTDC. The timing then quickly advances to 23 deg after 1600rpm.

Does that retard again further up the rev range? 24 degrees of advance will see a hole in your piston pdq with todays low octane fuels :shock:
coaster

Postby Fast n Furious » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:58 am

Yes.... It retards a few degrees after 6K.
Fast n Furious

Return to Tuning & Kits