LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

TS1 keeps smashing reed petals

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

TS1 keeps smashing reed petals

Postby LuiLui » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:12 pm

Hi all,

Looking for some help, again, so posting this on here and the other forum.

Any ideas appreciated before I set fire to this scooter... :x

I’ve just destroyed either the 4th or 5th set of reeds in a year, I’ve lost track! I haven’t even taken the reed block off this time, I just know what the problem is :cry:

TS1 with MB Race Tour tune it’s been on two different engines, one with a 58/110 crank the other a 60/110. I’ve had three different exhausts on it, all expansion types, and always with a TMX35. Standard reed block and vetronite petals.

First time a definite back fire did it, not noticed one since. Twice the petal has had a chunk blown out the middle (this stops the scooter dead) twice the petal has had fraying at the bottom or little bits of the corners; runs like this just very rich. Definitely five sets then because I haven’t checked this occurrence.

Pretty sure no electrical issues and backfire, apart from the first time. Squish is quite low on current engine from memory about 1.13, could this be a factor? :?

What about solutions? Can you double up reed petals on a TS1? Would a reed stuffer/packer help? I looked at V Force reviews and think the reeds may be even weaker. The BGM Yamaha reeds look less brittle but you need a 3mm packer with the block and I don’t have that spare under the frame.

Thanks Mark

I’ll even take advice on how to set the feckin thing alight if I can’t sort it :D
LuiLui

Re: TS1 keeps smashing reed petals

Postby Covboy » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:02 pm

I blew two sets of reeds
Turned out to be a faulty spark plug
Covboy

Postby LuiLui » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:14 pm

Thanks for the reply Covboy, I am actually still running the same plug. Could that impact the reeds if the detonation timing was corrupted? I’ll put a new one in at the weekend but also think I need to get a bgm reed block, maybe with a packer.

Time, trouble and money again ...... :cry:

Mark
LuiLui

Postby Adam_Winstone » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:01 pm

Advance retard ignition? Exhaust duration?

I ask the above as I believe that the early GT kits had similar issues with damaging reed petals, which is why they didn't recommend using advance retard ignitions and used to double up on reeds to make them last longer. If the MB tune was to machine the base off the cylinder (to get a broader spread of power) and you've since changed to a longer stroke crank... could this be a factor?

Good luck getting it sorted.

Adam
Adam_Winstone

Postby LuiLui » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:46 pm

Hi Adam, static ignition at 17 and a packer under the base supplied with the crank so should be pretty standard. The mb work is just on ports.
I don’t want to mask a problem with stronger reeds or doubling up so will check timing and squish at the weekend and change plug... plus more petals :cry:

I sometimes think there is a bit of blow back when it kicks over but doesn’t start, possibly fraying reeds :? not sure though.

Mark
LuiLui

Postby Wack » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:19 pm

If you are using the late type block with the short stops then beware as the reeds can actually touch the piston when fully open.Doubling up on the block's base gasket will move the petals away a touch.I've also read somewhere that the petals don't like overly rich jetting and in over ten years I've never had to change petals only upgraded, apart from a friends smallframe that backfired when the stator moved and smashed the V-Force cage to bits.
Wack

Postby Adam_Winstone » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:14 pm

LuiLui wrote:Hi Adam, static ignition at 17 and a packer under the base supplied with the crank so should be pretty standard. The mb work is just on ports.
I don’t want to mask a problem with stronger reeds or doubling up so will check timing and squish at the weekend and change plug... plus more petals :cry:

I sometimes think there is a bit of blow back when it kicks over but doesn’t start, possibly fraying reeds :? not sure though.

Mark

Yep, this tendency to blow back is what I understand can damage reeds. You might want to consider retarding the timing to 16 and see if that extends the life of your reeds.

Good luck with getting this sorted.

Adam
Adam_Winstone

Postby LuiLui » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:50 pm

Wack/Adam thanks for the posts.

I’ve just come indoors after putting in my remaining set of petals and read Wack’s post too late :( the petals touching the piston make sense as when I broke the last set I’d only done about ten miles after putting my Protti exhaust back on and was approaching 10,000 rpm, presumably the petals were wide open. I do also run rich considering it the safe side. Someone else (other forum I think) had commented that they had a standard block with modified stops and a 3mm packer, this too makes sense now.

In the morning I’ll add another base gasket. I’ve also just added an extra earth to the cdi, changed the plug and removed the kill circuit to eliminate a bad earth in the loom possibly being a contributing factor - should rule out electrics altogether with the previous changes.

If they fail again I’ll try a 3mm packer, if they fail after that I’ll change the ignition to 16 if it fails another time I’ll have plastic surgery and buy a Modena :D

Cheers
Mark
LuiLui

Postby hullygully » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:50 pm

never had any go on me after 20yrs of TS1-ing, I allways use reed block packers, jap blocks & boyeson petals,
even when using A'F's blocks I've used carbon petals with no probs 8-)
hullygully

Postby LuiLui » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:53 pm

Evening Hully,
Fingers crossed by tomorrow I’ll have the jap block, packer and some Boyesen reeds so hopefully this will sort my scooter out, as long as I can get frame clearance.

Worst problem though is I seized the wife’s TS1 on the way back home from work :cry: after promising I'd look after it :?

So that’s currently on the ramp why I get a new piston and try and figure where all the unwanted air suddenly came from.
It gets worst...... not only do I need to spend more money I have to ride a Vethpa to go and collect all the parts :shock:

Cheers
Mark
LuiLui

Return to Tuning & Kits