LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Electrex

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Electrex

Postby rossclark » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:27 pm

I've just swapped out the motor in my GP, the old one was standard AF Ducati electronic wired for DC with Wassell.

The new motor has an Electrex ignition.

Has anyone any success wiring this to work with the Wassel? I'd like to keep the advantages of the battery / DC.
rossclark

Re: Electrex

Postby dickie » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:19 pm

If You send me the electrex wiring diagram I'll do you one for your set up.
dickie

Postby rossclark » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:15 pm

Thanks

What come out of the stator is a red, white and a green for the CDI plus two yellows and a white.

I found a diagram that says the 'spare' white should go to earth and the two yellows should go to a small BGM style regulator, with output as a yellow to the loom, a red to the battery and a black to earth. I'm presuming that I can just connect the two yellows as they were from my old stator to the Wassel unit and leave the rest alone.

I'll take some pictures and post it later on.

While we're at it anyone know if there's anything different about the CDI used with this kit?
rossclark

Postby dickie » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:48 pm

rossclark wrote:
I found a diagram that says the 'spare' white should go to earth and the two yellows should go to a small BGM style regulator, with output as a yellow to the loom, a red to the battery and a black to earth. I'm presuming that I can just connect the two yellows as they were from my old stator to the Wassel unit and leave the rest alone.

Yes, this will get the battery charging ok. Not sure about the cdi though.
dickie

Postby rossclark » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:45 pm

Thanks, here is the diagram I found

image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rossclark

Postby coaster » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:43 pm

I could be wrong but I thought the electrex was 3 phase? the Wassel you will have been using is single phase :?
coaster

Postby rossclark » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:16 am

I'd have expected more wires for three phase, I've had it years but never got round to fitting it, originally came from Brolam but not sure if they're still trading?

The supplied reg looks very much like the BGM one - will see if it gives a clue and post a pic in the morning.
rossclark

Postby dickie » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:49 am

rossclark wrote:I'd have expected more wires for three phase, I've had it years but never got round to fitting it, originally came from Brolam but not sure if they're still trading?

The supplied reg looks very much like the BGM one - will see if it gives a clue and post a pic in the morning.

Yes, for 3 phase you'd have 3 x yellow wires, but these are single phase. To get 3 phase you'd realistically need an external pick up or there wouldn't be enough space for the charging coils.
dickie

Postby rossclark » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:49 pm

Interestingly it does have an external pick up and plenty of coils, not much to see about how these are wired though.

image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rossclark

Postby dickie » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:29 pm

That's not really what I mean. The pick up needs to have no influence on the charge coil spacing otherwise you can't make a sensible 3 phase alternator.

I think Anthony tambs is trying to get one made at the minute. Hopefully on my next one.
dickie

Postby rossclark » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:18 pm

I think see what you mean - you'd need three (or six or nine) evenly spaced coils to generate the three pulses 120 degrees apart.
rossclark

Postby dickie » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:10 am

rossclark wrote:I think see what you mean - you'd need three (or six or nine) evenly spaced coils to generate the three pulses 120 degrees apart.

Yes, that's right, plus the magnets need to be arranged so that they hit each set of magnets 120 degrees out of phase with each other.
dickie

Postby rossclark » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:53 pm

Ok to answer the question on the CDI.

I started it today, having connected the Electerx up to the genuine Ducati CDI (from my 80s AF kit) which was fitted to the frame and had been working fine on my Rapido motor which has just come out. Once started it would tick over but not rev at all just bogged off like it was way too rich when you rolled the throttle on. Having my suspicions about the CDI compatibility I got the strobe out and it showed good timing at tickover but this broke down as soon as any revs were applied.

I then connected up the (unbranded) CDI that comes with the Electrex kit and bingo up it fires, revs out cleanly and Is steady on strobing with what looks like 2-3 degrees of retard.

For curiosity I added the Augusto, which had also been connected to the Ducati ignition, and it wouldn't start at all.
rossclark

Postby carlos fandango » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:11 pm

Hi Ross
Just seen this thread , ive been running a Electrex for 9 or so years, i converted it to run a wassell about 4 years ago.
My electrex is 3 phase , same as yours ( they used to do a single phase version) but running a "master igniter" cdi/coil.
From memory, the original set up was run as a single phase ac system . leaving aside the ignition/cdi side, mine had 3 yellow wires, 1 was blanked off , 1 was earthed and 1 went to the small regulator.
To convert to wassel i just connected the earthed yellow and the reg. yellow, to the wassell , much the same as you would do with converting a "normal" stator to a wassell full dc system.
You can buy a 3 phase wassell , it has 5 wires instead of 4 , and you use the 3 yellow wires connected to the 3 on the 3ph wassell . This was going to be my next step some years ago , but tbh it powers enough for me so i havent bothered :)
Electrics arnt my thing tbh and i have no idea if its a "true" 3ph system ....or even if 3ph would be better than 1ph :? :? :lol: :lol:
Russ
carlos fandango

Postby dickie » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:05 am

The advantages of 3 phase are that the current is reduced for a given power and a smoother voltage; less ripple as the sum of the phases at any moment is zero.

Probably neither hither nor thither on a lambretta unless you're running pathfinders etc.
dickie

Postby bsso78 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:38 am

Do you want to sell your original ignition?
bsso78

Postby rossclark » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:40 am

bsso78 wrote:Do you want to sell your original ignition?

Not yet thanks - I still need one for that engine.
rossclark

Return to Tuning & Kits