LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Bolt on kit or not?

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Re: Bolt on kit or not?

Postby Hughieboy » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:18 am

bike grim wrote:If I were you, and it is one of Harry’s Suzuki conversions, I’d be trying to get that set up to work as you require rather than starting again as he knows his stuff. Chances are it’s a 116mm rod if it’s a Suzuki TS185 piston. I’ve got a Suzuki converted smallbkock using an SR type barrel and it uses a TV rod with a 2mm packer. (not one of Harry’s but another tuner)

Maybe you should look at what gearing it’s running as the pacemaker is a “leggy” box and dropping a sprocket size could do what you need. As for the heat seizes, it may just need setting up. Why don’t you ring Harry?

Actually, that sounds about right. However I did ring Harry when I first had it (I bought it ready built) and although he was helpful, he recommended I stayed with the 22mm Jetex and Indian Big Bore pipe insisting it should do somewhere near 70mph but the fact is it did about 50 - 55mph GPS and I wanted more from it. He wouldn't be drawn on how to get more out of it and couldn't specifically remember the engine hence me going off and trying things. I'm no expert but adding the bigger carb and expansion plus matching the ports has added about 5mph and a bit more get up and go but I'd really prefer better performance.

I've emailed Mark Broadhurst and he's been really helpful. From what he says, I think an RT kit is going to be the way forward although I need to check the conrod length about which I think youre correct.
Hughieboy

Postby burnside » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:01 pm

Hughieboy wrote:
bike grim wrote:If I were you, and it is one of Harry’s Suzuki conversions, I’d be trying to get that set up to work as you require rather than starting again as he knows his stuff. Chances are it’s a 116mm rod if it’s a Suzuki TS185 piston. I’ve got a Suzuki converted smallbkock using an SR type barrel and it uses a TV rod with a 2mm packer. (not one of Harry’s but another tuner)

Maybe you should look at what gearing it’s running as the pacemaker is a “leggy” box and dropping a sprocket size could do what you need. As for the heat seizes, it may just need setting up. Why don’t you ring Harry?

Actually, that sounds about right. However I did ring Harry when I first had it (I bought it ready built) and although he was helpful, he recommended I stayed with the 22mm Jetex and Indian Big Bore pipe insisting it should do somewhere near 70mph but the fact is it did about 50 - 55mph GPS and I wanted more from it. He wouldn't be drawn on how to get more out of it and couldn't specifically remember the engine hence me going off and trying things. I'm no expert but adding the bigger carb and expansion plus matching the ports has added about 5mph and a bit more get up and go but I'd really prefer better performance.

I've emailed Mark Broadhurst and he's been really helpful. From what he says, I think an RT kit is going to be the way forward although I need to check the conrod length about which I think youre correct.

As that it his kit I would be amazed if he recommended anything else
burnside

Postby bluebob » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:25 pm

the first line of bookert,s post is were your answer to both kit and crank lies.yes, you could probably get away without changing the crank and fitting an rt 195 kit.BUT if you intend long rides at say,keeping at 65 for any length of time you are pushing the kit to the top of the rev range,so now you are pushing your crank to its limit .MB recommend stronger cranks with their kits.if you want more speed ,play safe.if you don't,maybe get someone to look over the one you have got.gearing sounds too high,check squish ,timing again.It might not be too far of what you need.
bluebob

Postby Hughieboy » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:50 pm

bluebob wrote:the first line of bookert,s post is were your answer to both kit and crank lies.yes, you could probably get away without changing the crank and fitting an rt 195 kit.BUT if you intend long rides at say,keeping at 65 for any length of time you are pushing the kit to the top of the rev range,so now you are pushing your crank to its limit .MB recommend stronger cranks with their kits.if you want more speed ,play safe.if you don't,maybe get someone to look over the one you have got.gearing sounds too high,check squish ,timing again.It might not be too far of what you need.

To be fair, I've never had anyone who really knows what theyre doing look at it. Probably not a bad idea before forking out on new stuff...
Hughieboy

Previous

Return to Tuning & Kits