LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

OMG fuel taps

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Re: OMG fuel taps

Postby HxPaul » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:40 pm

HxPaul wrote:It begs the question,why dont they fit these new,after all in my opinion OMG are the best taps you can get............apart from this obvious fault.

Apparently they do.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAMBRETTA-RE ... SwpmNbKmXj
HxPaul

Postby rossclark » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:32 pm

It would be a simple matter of extending the tube which would give you a bigger reserve. The Scootopia one is about half the size of a standard tube.

The one on my OMG was basically up to the seam on the tank :o .

If I'd known that when I went on reserve on the way back from Kelso I wouldn't have been so delicate nursing it the 20 odd miles to Biggar.
rossclark

Postby Scooterdude » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:03 pm

In fairness the scootopia one should be fine on a long range tank (providing you dont strip the thread).
Scooterdude

Postby Norrie Bodge » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:43 am

Scooterdude wrote:In fairness the scootopia one should be fine on a long range tank (providing you dont strip the thread).

me mate Gaz Powell managed to source us some longer pipe to increase the scootopia taps reserve
hopefully he will post here where to get it
Norrie Bodge

Postby ToBoldlyGo » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:43 pm

I've seen something about that recently. It might have been on Scooterotica.
ToBoldlyGo

Postby Storkfoot » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:01 pm

Storkfoot wrote:Yes, thanks for the information. I am definitely going to check the flow rate though as I sometimes think I am too trusting in the blurb that accompanies products.

Half full Diablo tank produced a litre in 74 seconds through Scootopia fast flow.
Storkfoot

Postby gaz_powell » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:56 pm

I`ve always used OMG fast flow and never had a problem with the plastic parts - I actually like the big reserve on them.

On my indian S2 bitsa build the OMG tap, it was very close to the engine mount and I found the Scootopia one smaller in body and giving more clearance. I`ve yet to use this tap in anger.

I extended the reserve by replacing the brass tube with a 62mm long piece of thin walled 5mm OD tube - bought from China of Ebay - unfortunately I have non left as I used one on my tap, two mates and someone on here.

the plastic tube in the OMG taps is not the same size as the scootopia so can be interchanged.

Gaz
gaz_powell

Postby gaz_powell » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:55 pm

rossclark wrote:I had to buy a new tap yesterday at a local dealer and opted for the Scootopia one but the dealer also showed me a different all alloy OMG one, which I now wish I had bought, as I had to drain the tank again because the Scootopia one was running about 150mls a minute ... I'd filled the tank and it took over an hour to drain it...

On dismantling the tap I found that the inner plate with the tree holes in was rotated partially occluding the holes. Turned it round, reassembled and it flows 500ml in 49s - just goes to show how little it takes to cut the fuel flow to next to nothing :o

Using a scootopia tap but fortunately been running in - first problem bike wouldn't run in the on position, only reserve after about 30 miles, so I brimmed the tank, no difference , just continued on reserve.
Decided to strip it down so started to drain the tank, the flow was pitiful ! Eventually I got the tap out and stripped it and found the rubber washer has shrunk, then moved round covering the on position, the three holes have raised edges to fit into the holes in the body of the tap these are all distorted/broken down so its knackered.
Have emailed Scootopia with pictures tonight so lets see what they say. Looks like and adverse reaction to the petrol.

I used the Scootopia tap due the smaller body size over my normal choice of OMG FF - I think I can get a rear exit in so that's what I`ll be doing
Luckily Ive got another bike to head off to Malton tomorrow

its a pain in the arse but im glad I checked I would urge anyone with a Scootopia tap to check them out just in case

Gaz
gaz_powell

Postby rossclark » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:35 am

I've now received the alloy replacement parts (replacing the fragile plastic tap connector) for the OMG, they'll be going back in when I get a dry day.
rossclark

Postby gaz_powell » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:12 am

Scootopia sent me a new tap. Which I stripped to checked the rubber washer, it was okay so it's fitted

Will do some more miles and see what happens.

Rear exit OMG is on the shelf!
gaz_powell

Postby rossclark » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:17 am

Got the alloy parts from Lambretta Upgrades and have repaired my two.

Hardest part of this was getting the pins out of the plastic parts to release the tap connector rod. I ended up having to drill them out. I've used some peaned over panel pins to secure the new part to the rods.

image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rossclark

Postby Fast n Furious » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:24 pm

gaz_powell wrote:Scootopia sent me a new tap. Which I stripped to checked the rubber washer, it was okay so it's fitted

I had this problem with a FF tap. The rubber disc was fine until it was subjected to petrol. I made a new disc from some neoprene sheet, and it's worked fine ever since.
Fast n Furious

Postby gaz_powell » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:05 pm

Fast n Furious wrote:
gaz_powell wrote:Scootopia sent me a new tap. Which I stripped to checked the rubber washer, it was okay so it's fitted

I had this problem with a FF tap. The rubber disc was fine until it was subjected to petrol. I made a new disc from some neoprene sheet, and it's worked fine ever since.

I`m obviously not the only one this has happened to - I`ll see what happened with this one, I`m hoping they are using a different material for the rubber washer - as I said there`s a rear exit waiting in the wings.

I asked Scootopia if they had come across this before but had no response.
gaz_powell

Postby gaz_powell » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:05 am

Received replacement tap from Scootopia and got round to fitting it.
Left petrol on so the washer was exposed to the fuel, left it a week.
Tested flow yesterday and it did 1 pint in 40 seconds in the on position.
I'm gonna do a few miles and then strip the tap to see what condition the washer is in
gaz_powell

Previous

Return to Tuning & Kits