LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Ethanol in Fuel

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Re: Ethanol in Fuel

Postby Scooterlam » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:25 pm

Fast n Furious wrote:Alcohol fuel runs with a very different Stoichiometric ratio to petrol.
Typically, the Air fuel ratio for petrol is about 14.7:1. For Alcohol, its about 6.4:1
So, adding alcohol to fuel will in theory richen's out the mixture with a lower A/F ratio. So, leaner jetting may be required.

Interesting figures
Goes against the commonly held beliefs and what I see on my egt.

Just did a quick Google

Etheynol peak flame temp 1900 degree c
Scooterlam

Postby Fast n Furious » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:33 pm

The addition of ethanol in our petrol waters down the calorific power of our fuel.
A Bugatti Veyron doesn't make that 1000Hp when running on Yankey Gasoline. You really do need the good stuff to make that top power.
Fuel injected, ECU controlled fuel systems can be mapped to run on just about anything that burns. Not so easy to do with a simple carburettor.

Saying that..........Earlier this year, I mistakenly fueled my TS1 up with 5 litres of Diesel. :shock:
It ran fine for the first mile and then I had to limp it with the choke on to the next garage.
I drained out a couple of liters and topped up with 2 liters of petrol.
I had to leave the choke on but that bike could still pull over 80MPH!
You just didn't want to be the one behind me. :oops:
Knackered my carbon footprint. :lol:
Fast n Furious

Postby dscscotty » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:05 am

The issue with ethenol in fuel is more related to its hydroscopic nature, in that it can absorb a large percentage of its volume in water over a relatively short period, the process itself is termed as separation. This process can start in the holding tanks or when stored in your petrol tank, I recently had a discussion with a Yamaha RD owner who's train of thought was that the unusually high temperatures and high humidity this year may have had an affect on fuel which may account for the higher than usual seizure/combustion issues,
Ethenol is in my view the governments secret weapon in getting classic vehicles and two strokes off the road, it may answer the question as to why they've been so generous to classic vehicle owners in terms of road tax and mot's, they'll play the green card, you don't get nothing for nothing especially from this lot! :shock:
dscscotty

Postby Andy B.L.C. » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:35 pm

Tried starting a bonfire with a jerry can of 'tank drainings'. The result spectacularly unsuccessful, ie no fire starting WHOOOOMPH! A bit like after unleaded petrol was introduced & the broken piston shelf had to be doubled in size...
Andy B.L.C.

Postby Nudger » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:44 am

Andy B.L.C. wrote:Tried starting a bonfire with a jerry can of 'tank drainings'. The result spectacularly unsuccessful, ie no fire starting WHOOOOMPH! A bit like after unleaded petrol was introduced & the broken piston shelf had to be doubled in size...

Stale fuel maybe? PS - careful Andy, skin grafts are painful...
Nudger

Previous

Return to Tuning & Kits