LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Small block kit???

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Small block kit???

Postby clyde » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:58 pm

Right I'm building a new scooter and just deciding on the engine upgrade.
My last scooter i ran a casa185, 42 big bore and 22 jetex carb all in the standard Li150 case and crank with a Indian12v kit. Seemed to go ok and is still running this set up but with a different carb.
I'm looking at possibly a Mugello 186 this time so would i require a gp crank? Would this require any packing etc, what would be the best carb and exhaust to run for decent mileage/power and what's regarded as a decent 12v kit these days...without taking out a mortgage.

So is this a decent set up..
Mugello 186, gp crank and 28 carb???? (Will be running remote filter as want to fit a bigger fuel tank)
What exhaust would best suit this set up and what's good 12v kit

Cheers in advance
clyde

Re: Small block kit???

Postby swissdean » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:38 pm

For what it’s worth I run an rt195, with 110/60 crank, delly 28, varitronic
and bgm big bore... it’s taken me 1000s of kms
.. very flexible engine.. and excellent cruiser..

I also have similar casa set up to you and find it
5mph -10 mph too slow for comfortable cruising but a
Great around town / short ride option
swissdean

Postby corrado » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:03 pm

BGM 195 kit, now it has a piston with no issues, has to be probably the best all round kit, 10cc more than the Mugello and a CNC head, plus it should be cheaper than a Mugello.
That'd be my choice with GP race crank, PHBL 25mm carb and Scootopia Ancilotti exhaust, should give good enough MPG that a long range tank isn't necessary. I'd use a crank with a Jap 110 rod that will require a 3mm base packer. Buy the very best crank that you can afford, it's the heart of your engine. Sil GP crank can be rebuilt with 110 rod for reasonable money or try Harry Barlow as he's highly regarded as a crank builder. I like Varitronic ignition, been fit and forget on mine but lots of people are now using ignitions built by Anthony Tambs, Scootronics, as he's developed a few innovations.
We all have our favourites though and it's an emotive subject. How long is a piece of string?
GT186 is also worthy of consideration as rarely a bad word spoken about it.
corrado

Postby burnside » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:30 am

I absolutely love my GT186 kit, with one of Richard Taylor's GT 60/110 cranks pushing the cc up to 193, I run this with PHBH30 open mouth (but am planning on putting a breath sweet on) and Franspeed Race. It is quick, will cruise at 60-65 with loads left and with good economy (11-12 miles per litre) but still rideable around town. I use a SIL electronic kit converted to DC.

A lot of people use this kit with a PHBL25 through airbox or remote filter and a clubman and still get decent touring speed and even better economy.
burnside

Postby clyde » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:46 pm

Thanks folks much thought to be given over the next few weeks thanks.
clyde

Postby EddieStone » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:14 am

Whatever you decide, it's best to replace the Li crank with a GP one
EddieStone

Return to Tuning & Kits