LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Miss fire???? Help.

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Re: Miss fire???? Help.

Postby Jimmyjames » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:44 pm

Yes cdi taken off an imola set up high reving ,so not the issue .
Noticed there a score marks on the flywheel, not hitting the pickup but must be rubbing on the coils when under load.
Jimmyjames

Postby Jimmyjames » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:49 pm

Well still haven't sorted it yet, going to try a new exhaust .
Why?? Because I am convinced the gases are not be expelled enough .
Plug is split in colour half chocolate ,and other half black .
Strange. Will see what the result is .
Hoping. :(
Jimmyjames

Postby Adam_Winstone » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:10 pm

FYI - I've been suffering a similar 2-tone plug colour issue for a couple of years and have worked my way through most of the clubmans on the market, with it being impossible for me to jet/time/compression/plug grade/fuel flow this away. However, I recently changed to Ron Moss's latest offering for a 600+ mile trip to/from the 4-nations rally in Northern Ireland and wondered if this free flowing option might help, having noticed how a change in pipe would dramatically change the colour of the plug for no other changes. Having had it confirmed by Shiny Red Tuning that my bike was seriously over-jetted with the previous pipe, but knowing that it still showed hot/worryingly light at the plug (!), I wondered what the change of pipe might result in.

The new pipe did drop a little bottom end but still rode well, increasing in power through the mid range and continuing on to a higher peak RPM. However, the bike now felt rich and checking the plug at the rally showed that it had changed from light to seriously BLACK, which it should have been showing all along based on the jetting that it was running. This suggests to me that the previous pipes were 'gassing up' and cooking the plug (too hot), rather than giving a colour that reflected the jetting. I dropped the needle 1 clip for the return 300 miles and the bike ran much better, regaining much of the bottom end that I had previously lost.

BTW - Mine is a 240cc Mugello, which goes a long way to explain why mine might gas up on some clubmans, whereas I've run these pipes on other smaller cc machines without issue.

Adam
Adam_Winstone

Postby Jimmyjames » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:22 am

I see your point Adam.
I am hoping a pipe change will sort my problem, getting beyond a joke now . :oops:
Jimmyjames

Postby Jimmyjames » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:25 pm

Ok so here's an update.
Pipe changed , great change but , not quite there.
I've come to the conclusion that the Rt kit is so hard to jet correctly , but I think I have it now .
Few!!. :roll:
Jimmyjames

Postby coaster » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:13 pm

Jimmyjames wrote:Ok so here's an update.
Pipe changed , great change but , not quite there.
I've come to the conclusion that the Rt kit is so hard to jet correctly , but I think I have it now .
Few!!. :roll:

Hopefully you have it soted but if not, 'm surprised no one has mentioned pickup alignment especially as you said there were signs of rubbing :?
coaster

Postby ROClarke » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:38 pm

Head Gasket.
ROClarke

Postby Jimmyjames » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:11 pm

All sorted, originaly the mag side bearing was a fake I think as the race just came loose.
Changed all bearings and rebuilt .
Used external pick up so there was no chance of pick up misalignment.
It was pipe and carb tuning .
First time I've had such an issue .
The Rt kit has very high compression.
Bugger to kick over .
Jimmyjames

Postby Dazts1 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:23 pm

Been down this route before. I had what I thought was electrical issues. Symptoms totally pointed towards it. It turned out to be a blocked exhaust.
Have you got a different one you can try to eliminate. Guess your clutching at straws now.
Another member on here around a year ago also had the same issues as you.
His also was a blocked pipe.
Just something else you can try.

Good luck.
Dazts1

Postby dickie » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:21 am

Rich Oswald wrote:Carburation problem?

I chased a high rpm ignition misfire for weeks and it turned out to be carb.
dickie

Postby Jimmyjames » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:32 am

Yep carb , to rich to much fuel ,lean it of and ran better so now I am on 266 av with x7 needle and one and a quarter turned. New clubman made a hell of a lot of difference.
Jimmyjames

Previous

Return to Tuning & Kits