LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Exhaust temp gauge sensor - which one?

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Exhaust temp gauge sensor - which one?

Postby Knowledge » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:00 pm

Hi,

My ETG is constantly showing a very high temp, so I suspect the sensor has burnt out. It didn’t seem to last very long.

This is my first ETG, so are some sensors better than others? Any advice?
Knowledge

Re: Exhaust temp gauge sensor - which one?

Postby martyn dwane » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:08 pm

I`ve had 3 sensors go and when they did i got no reading at all.
martyn dwane

Postby Scooterdude » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:04 pm

The K type egt sensors are crap, the main problem is the vibration, ive shook three to bits this year, last one was about 12 quid off eBay and I’ve ordered another one today for £4.50 but didn’t realise it was from China until I’d paid for it so may have to wait a few weeks.

When mine fail the temps shoot through the roof then it just dies and thats it with a reading of 0 on the screen.

Remember if you push the sensor in a bit to far it will read high, try siting it so the tip protrudes about 8-10mm in to the exhaust tube.
Scooterdude

Postby Rich Oswald » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:59 am

I used one of these and found them ok,

http://www.skydrive.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=EP001%2FS

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby Knowledge » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:39 am

Thanks all.

The tip about not pushing the sensor too far into the exhaust may be what I should have done.
Knowledge

Postby coaster » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:22 am

I've tried loads of these including ther expensive Ski DRive ones and cheap ones from China off ebay and none lat that long. I once spoke to the guy from Ski Drive and I(m sure he told me that theirs were of Chineseorigin too. They need to be considered as a consumable item really. They consist of two dissimilar metallic wires twisted together which generate a small electrical DC signal which rises according to temperature and as said, vibration eventually destroys them...accidentally running over them doesn't do them much good eithr
coaster

Postby martyn dwane » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:39 am

ive had two of the Sky dive one`s but the type in a "jubilee clip" and also A Koso stage 6 , all failed so guess you might as well buy cheap buy twice ,cos your do the same buying expensive.
martyn dwane

Postby Dibs/SFSC » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:34 pm

Rich Oswald wrote:I used one of these and found them ok,

Rich'

+1 although I think I got the last round one a few months ago, but good quality and no problems
Dibs/SFSC

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:15 pm

Competition two stroke motors have been using EGT sensors for years, & it's fair to say that their use in Kart racing pre-dated the trend in Scooter racing.

Principally, there are two main brands of Data Logging equipment, Mychron & Alfano, & their products include EGT sensors that must be robust to survive the rigours of competition use.

Unfortunately, they are not cheap, unless you can buy secondhand, in which case there is some risk entailed.

However, some time ago I looked into the possibility of sourcing UK made Thermocouples & there are quite a few manufacturers that might be keen to help, especially with what seems to be the rise in popularity in using them on our favourite two wheelers..... :idea:
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Scooterlam » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:17 pm

Rich Oswald wrote:I used one of these and found them ok,

Rich'

Plus 1 5 years out of minestill going and it was 2nd hand when I got it.
Scooterlam

Postby steveg » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:56 pm

As you may recall Martin I've run skydrive EGTs for a number of years and the probes are definitely a consumable item. Mine have all failed to zero when gone.
As an aside I haven't connected the one on 22 to my most recent exhaust and don't have one on Brian. As a result I've had a much more relaxed year of scootering not worrying about temps, maybe it's the future?
steveg

Postby bike grim » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:09 pm

steveg wrote:As you may recall Martin I've run skydrive EGTs for a number of years and the probes are definitely a consumable item. Mine have all failed to zero when gone.
As an aside I haven't connected the one on 22 to my most recent exhaust and don't have one on Brian. As a result I've had a much more relaxed year of scootering not worrying about temps, maybe it's the future?

Totally agree. I’ve got a Gamma tech on one tuned lump and a SIP with CHT on another big cc engine and I’m always looking at the Fuffing things . On my 2 with relatively standard motors and no gauges or gadgets I’m much more relaxed.
bike grim

Postby Knowledge » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:14 pm

Wise words fellas. I recall offering similar advice to a local scooterists who had become obsessed with his ETG readings, and this was spoiling his riding. Now I am falling into the same trap.

Perhaps I’ll take the gauge out and put in a (time) clock. That would be more useful.
Knowledge

Postby Adam_Winstone » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:08 am

steveg wrote:As you may recall Martin I've run skydrive EGTs for a number of years and the probes are definitely a consumable item. Mine have all failed to zero when gone.

I use the Skydrive ones too and love having the ability to see the temp that the motor is running at (NB: massive difference can easily be seen when refilling = good fuel vs bad fuel) but rarely look at it as I'm busy watching the rev counter... and occasionally glancing at the road :shock:
Adam_Winstone

Postby Scooterdude » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:19 pm

Mine always fracture were the spring connects to the sensor obviously being shook until it finally gives up the ghost and breaks off.

What I intend to do with my new one is to slide a piece of garden hose over were the spring is and fill the void with silicone sealant then wait until the silicone has cured then. Cut away the hose leaving a slug if silicone around the spring so hopefully should cure the breakages.
Scooterdude

Postby coaster » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:02 pm

Scooterdude wrote:Mine always fracture were the spring connects to the sensor obviously being shook until it finally gives up the ghost and breaks off.

What I intend to do with my new one is to slide a piece of garden hose over were the spring is and fill the void with silicone sealant then wait until the silicone has cured then. Cut away the hose leaving a slug if silicone around the spring so hopefully should cure the breakages.

Try using the ones with a 90 degree bend in them, a little less stress.

I agree that they can be a distraction but really there is little point having an EGT without a CHT to compare the reading with as the EGT will naturally give a high temp reading under normal circumstances especially if you have variable ignition or an expansion exhaust due to the moving flame front.
coaster

Postby Adam_Winstone » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:04 pm

I like watching my temp fluctuate with RPM, especially if I have an advance retard fitted. It is a real eye opener to go on a lazy low speed/low RPM Sunday rideout and watch the temp slowly rise, then break away for a thrash and watch the temp come back down as the ignition retards.
Adam_Winstone

Postby Wack » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:50 pm

Although not scooter related,it's an interesting read http://www.rcrcnt.com/articles/tuning.htm
Wack

Return to Tuning & Kits