LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Best Clubman Type Pipe (with decent longevity)

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Best Clubman Type Pipe (with decent longevity)

Postby NorthernJordan » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:03 am

I'm thinking of building a kitted motor with say an RT kit and a clubman style pipe. Carb will be probably be a 30mm dellorto.

I've always found clubman pipes to fall apart quite quickly on the longer runs and that studs coming loose was a real problem. However, I'm sure the latter has improved massively with the introduction of stub manifolds and spring fittings etc.

Obviously, the BGM would be a good bet with the RT kit but how are these for holding together these days?
What other options are there?

Jordan
NorthernJordan

Re: Best Clubman Type Pipe (with decent longevity)

Postby Solid Air » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:22 am

My BGM v4 is still solid Jordan after about 18 months and 8k+ miles, including the winter and Spain so a lot better than earlier versions.

Mark
Solid Air

Postby ULC Soulagent » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:34 am

Having used bgm clubman from the 1st version( still going strong) through too the v3 have not been too bad, agree the 2nd n 3rd version fell apart inside but they was replaced/ modified by the seller. Have got the V4 too fit on my Jet200 so can’t say much about it.
Ron Moss clubman gets good mentions as does the scootopia ( Pro porting) modified clubman
ULC Soulagent

Postby NorthernJordan » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:56 pm

BGM sounds like best option. Gori is getting into big money, but I don't like the idea of not having a stub fitting.
NorthernJordan

Postby Rich Oswald » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:02 pm

I've had a V1 BGM from the very first batch on my S Type, quiet and still going strong. V3 on the J range, much louder but still good also.

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby Hammer RB230 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:56 pm

I have a BGM V4 on my RT195, can't fault the the pipe or Kit, quiet, with a broad range of power, also fits well.
Hammer RB230

Postby Dom » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:17 pm

I’d recommend the new clubman from Ron Moss , they’ve not been out to long so can’t comment on how long they will last but they are certainly appear well built and fit like a glove
Dom

Postby CHRIS in MARGATE » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:23 pm

Not much wrong with AF Clubman. Never had one break. So important not to "stress" the fitting; widen mounting holes for stress free fitting.
CHRIS in MARGATE

Postby lozmondo » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:48 pm

i love the BGM clubman on my RT. Advantage as well that it has the 4 point fixing on the stub
lozmondo

Postby Fred » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:04 pm

I've had 4 Bgm clubmans. Two fell to bits, totally unrepairable. After very little use. Another One the baffles came loose,so I chopped it up to take them out, I've refitted it. One, a version one is still going strong. They do pull better than a scootopia, although top speed isn't much less. I've just fitted a Ron moss clubman to a rt kit. It seems to pull better than a Bgm. Top revs seem about the same on the rt , with its low exhaust timing,it may be better suited to something more tuned. Or it might pull taller gearing..Early days yet to see how it lasts. I don't think I'd buy another Bgm after having 3 out of 4 falling to bits.
Fred

Postby NorthernJordan » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:41 pm

I had an interesting chat with Scotty on the version 4 bgm retaining heat in the quest to quieten them down and keep low end power.

Its a hit of a concern with doing big motorway miles two up.

Need to have a think.

Jordan
NorthernJordan

Postby Norrie Bodge » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:57 pm

NorthernJordan wrote:I had an interesting chat with Scotty on the version 4 bgm retaining heat in the quest to quieten them down and keep low end power.

Its a hit of a concern with doing big motorway miles two up.

Need to have a think.

Jordan

Jordan give Gaz Powell a Pm
He might have something to interest you m8
Norrie Bodge

Postby bike grim » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:10 pm

Not impressed with power delivery on the v4 BGM when compared directly with a v3 ( which baffle fell to bits after a year )
Feels restricted at top end revs. Had a mess about with jetting, still not great. Rapido Reed with 30PHBH. Gori 50 Sport works well. Never had issues with no stub fitting.
bike grim

Postby Nudger » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:50 pm

CHRIS in MARGATE wrote:Not much wrong with AF Clubman. Never had one break. So important not to "stress" the fitting; widen mounting holes for stress free fitting.

Same here; had mine several years now and no issues. My neighbour powder coated it black 10 months ago & it's still looking fine, I just give it the occasional wipe with an oily rag.
Nudger

Postby Cgt75b » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:07 pm

Great supplement on clubmans in this months scootering. It maybe worth a look.
Cgt75b

Postby DaveTomo » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:12 pm

I had BGM V3 - lasted 3 years, baffles fell to bits last year on the way back from Belgium.Now have the Ron Moss ex-box,seems like a well built piece of kit,obviously can't comment on longevity.Couple of mates of mine run the scootopia clubmans , seem good value for money.Saying that I've got an old AF Rayspeed 48mm clubman which seems to go on and on, I bought it second hand about 9 or 10 years ago and its still going strong
DaveTomo

Postby NorthernJordan » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:25 am

I'm thinking of trying the Ex-Box.
Talks about all the right things about heat, gassing up and noise. I like the look of the construction...

Would probably have used an expansion, however, I don't want to cut runners on this particular scooter.
NorthernJordan

Postby ToBoldlyGo » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:52 pm

Jordan, there's that new under the kickstart expansion pipe that looks interesting. From Chiselspeed I think. Looks a lot nicer than the usual set up, in my opinion.
ToBoldlyGo

Postby NorthernJordan » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:32 pm

They are nice looking pipes. To be fair an expansion would look daft in any way in this scooter. Just isn't that style to be honest.
NorthernJordan

Postby dickie » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:19 pm

I'll be putting my touring tune TS1 with ex box clubman on a dyno in 2 weeks if you can wait that long.

Really nice construction and acceptable noise, but as I've not been far (just round my estate), I can't tell you much about real world use.
dickie

Next

Return to Tuning & Kits