LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Jolt on initial gear engagement

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Jolt on initial gear engagement

Postby Covboy » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:44 pm

Hello

Every time I start up my Scoot from cold and engage 1st gear, there is a massive jolt forwards as if the clutch is not engaged properly or the plates are stuck together. This usually makes the engine stall.
I am concerned that I might end up damaging the gearbox with this mechanical shock.

it only ever happens the first time I engage 1st gear from cold. (GT240 / powermaster clutch / Cyclone)

Any practical solutions, or start up procedures that would eliminate this initial issue? The clutch works fine in every other respect.
Thanks
Covboy

Re: Jolt on initial gear engagement

Postby ULC Soulagent » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:34 pm

I’d push it back n forward and release clutch lever too rule out sticky plates.
Do you not have that new casa clutch fitted with internal Cush springs that’s supposed too stop that sort of thing?
ULC Soulagent

Postby rossclark » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:09 pm

Clutches can stick, especially if you're not using it all that regularly.

I usually give it a few kicks then engage the clutch and kick it over a few times till the clutch slips before starting it if it's been sat for more than a week or two.
rossclark

Postby trotsky » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:58 pm

Hi,
My MB 6 plate used to do the the same. All I did was when starting from cold was click it into 2nd (1st) & then into 1st if that makes sense! It was perfectly fine after that. Hope this helps, Steve.
trotsky

Postby peejay » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:01 am

my golden rule for first start of the day regardless of what motor or clutch you have is pull the clutch lever in and push kickstart pedal down a couple of times, then fire it up and engaging 1st gear is perfect, always!
peejay

Return to Tuning & Kits