LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Why are kits slower than my GP200 I had in 1973

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Re: Why are kits slower than my GP200 I had in 1973

Postby Tractorman » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:41 am

I was clocked doing 71 down the A46 by a police car on mine back in early 70's.
Tractorman

Postby Rich Oswald » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:58 am

Tractorman wrote:I was clocked doing 71 down the A46 by a police car on mine back in early 70's.

Cops had Veglia speedo's too ya know! ;)
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:58 pm

Lockman69 wrote:
ROClarke wrote:
Lockman69 wrote:leaded petrol...plus the fact I now weigh twice what I did back in the day :D :D

My old stage 4 200, PHBH30, JL3 with SX gearing once wound up would hold 73gps all day long at 600/650 0n the Egt (LI Crank and motoplat ignition) but since shearing the crank I just cant seem to get those speeds again :( :(

Aren't motoplat flywheels heavy, which would explain holding top speed when you got there ?

Good point...could well be the reason :D

A heavier flywheel will have greater inertia but that doesn't contribute to the ultimate top speed. Flywheel weights are very 'swings & roundabouts' & personally, the Lui/J/AFR electronics are as heavy as I would go, making for snappier acceleration & much more forgiving toward the crankshaft & transmission.

Part of a rider's problem is often that they expect the power delivery to be like that of a four stroke car :lol: which explains why they shut the throttle descending hills, the consequences often being leaning off in top gear with less fan cooling :roll:
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby GExS » Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:07 pm

I ran a standard one a few years ago, and was shocked how quick it was, I heard some were quicker than others that’s 2 strokes I guess. It had new tyres on, front fork rubbers and springs which may have helped it otr, back in the late 70’s early 80’s we were pulling them out of sheds and ran them as they were with old tyres etc.
The one I ran made me rethink standard exhausts and 22mm carbs and I’ve only used them on set ups since.
GExS

Previous

Return to Tuning & Kits