LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

GT kits and Reed advice

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Re: GT kits and Reed advice

Postby Scooterdude » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:08 pm

So after all that have any of you ordered the reeds I mentioned from Darrell Taylor? Or are you continuing to use the original ones that split?
Scooterdude

Postby burnside » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:19 pm

I use the original doubled up and not had any issues
burnside

Postby Leotech » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:56 pm

I’ve got double reeds in mine on both sides. I love the kit but this pisses me off. I went through 2 sets last year. Single ones lasted 600 miles. Double ones about 2500. Like I said it’s not a massive problem as you can actually keep riding but it should not be like this.

Whilst he blames ignition problems for breaking reeds my RT and Avanti kits both with reeds and my Imola also with reeds never have a problem and they all have Varitronic ignitions fitted.

Allegedly it was my fault when my GT 240 kept seizing up running in even after 2000 miles until it wasn’t and they were all re called to be re bored.

That said it’s a great engine otherwise.
Leotech

Postby nsaints » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:25 am

Psychedelicropcircle wrote:I’m doubled up on a GT186 28phbh & a BGM box pipe. Avoid going onto reserve as that’s when my two failures have happened.

Interesting: This is the symptom I had on my GT186. Whenever I went on reserve, the engine backfires. Tried various things to figure this out living with the backfire until it took out a set of reeds

Took the top end off, and found the compression was way to low, although the squish was correct

Had the cylinder head bowl re-profiled to raise the compression, and a never had problem since, no backfire nothing..
nsaints

Postby Scooterdude » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:46 pm

nsaints wrote:
Psychedelicropcircle wrote:I’m doubled up on a GT186 28phbh & a BGM box pipe. Avoid going onto reserve as that’s when my two failures have happened.

Interesting: This is the symptom I had on my GT186. Whenever I went on reserve, the engine backfires. Tried various things to figure this out living with the backfire until it took out a set of reeds

Took the top end off, and found the compression was way to low, although the squish was correct

Had the cylinder head bowl re-profiled to raise the compression, and a never had problem since, no backfire nothing..

I’ve experienced that when i go onto reserve on my RT reed but never blown the reeds, indeed ive never heard of this happening on any other two stroke engine.
Scooterdude

Previous

Return to Tuning & Kits