LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Sat Nav set up for Dummies

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Sat Nav set up for Dummies

Postby compass » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:13 pm

Ok, off to sunny Poland for the Euro this year and have taken the decision I want a Sat Nav , I love a paper map, however we only have 2 weeks and life is too short to spend riding around towns in the middle of France all afternoon looking for a south bound D road, as much fun as it sounds . :lol:

So...I want to fit a good, lets say best currently available Sat Nav for looks /ease of use/size etc to my series 1 with Casatronic ignition .

From SAT NAV to fixing to wiring/battery etc as said above, a complete guide for dummies, can anyone point me in the right direction based on your own fittings and mistakes (you dont become an expert until you make mistakes :roll: )

Thanks in advance

Compass (often said with irony) :lol:
compass

Re: Sat Nav set up for Dummies

Postby Solid Air » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:18 pm

compass wrote: Compass (often said with irony) :lol:

I wanted to make that point... you're no fun Compass :lol:
Last edited by Solid Air on Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Solid Air

Postby Solid Air » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:39 pm

More seriously, I have a Garmin Zumo 550 that a biker mate let me have cheap and it works well.

My scooter has a battery fitted so it takes its power from that. It came with a Garmin mount that it plugs into for power and can be locked into for security and made an adaptor for it to mount onto the front hydraulic mount.

There is a program called Tyre to use for planning routes and then transferring via usb to the unit, operator error is the biggest problem here - make sure you zoom in close enough when picking way-markers or you ride up a mountain in the pouring rain with steep drops, thunder and lightening only to "reach your destination" and have to turn around! :o :lol:

You cannot connect the unit to a usb charging point on the scooter sadly, as soon as you connect the cable it enters storage mode, a Garmin foible apparently.

Because it's a proper bike sat-nav it's fully waterproof. It worked well when I used it for Italy and around the UK but last year going to Spain after a day in France it started playing up big-time. It turned out that it had lost a lot of the maps stored on it. To fix this I've bought a bigger SD card and it's going to be reloaded for Poland, fingers crossed ;)
Last edited by Solid Air on Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Solid Air

Postby Solid Air » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:45 pm

Haha yes you're absolutely right there!
Embarrassed by my incompetence and edit completed, must preview properly next time :oops: :lol:
Solid Air

Postby Solid Air » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:49 pm

Where did post 4 go Bolzenanker? It disappeared while writing (and checking/editing/posting ;) ) a reply :D
Solid Air

Postby Timexit17 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:29 pm

tomtom rider powered from a 12v dc feed from the excellent scootronics intelliconverter.
Timexit17

Postby Toddy » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:38 pm

I have the Zumo as well as it’s waterproof running 12v dc , was a lifesaver coming home from Italy :lol: :lol:
Toddy

Postby Covboy » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:28 pm

On my italy trip my tomton broke day 1
I used google maps on my iPhone- so much better than the Tom Tom
Lots of route options, easy and clear directions
Mounted with a water proof case from eBay
Covboy

Postby Mr G in NYC » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:17 am

Covboy wrote:On my italy trip my tomton broke day 1
I used google maps on my iPhone- so much better than the Tom Tom
Lots of route options, easy and clear directions
Mounted with a water proof case from eBay

+ one 8-) G.
Mr G in NYC

Postby ROClarke » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:49 am

I have a helmet with blue tooth, works so much better than trying to hear the sat nav at high speed and means I do not even have to look at the sat nav when it is connected to the helmet.
ROClarke

Postby Watfordwhite » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:06 am

ROClarke wrote:I have a helmet with blue tooth, works so much better than trying to hear the sat nav at high speed and means I do not even have to look at the sat nav when it is connected to the helmet.
i

As above, google maps on my IPhone in a magnetic waterproof cover c/w Bluetooth to helmet. Works a treat. The Bluetooth headset also allows intercom between bikes >50mtrs if others in the group have it as well.
Run from a USB fitted on the leg shield tool box, phone sits the other side. Legshilds protect it from the worst weather and block the sun on the screen. Ru. From Stootertronics regulator with DC output.
Watfordwhite

Postby Watfordwhite » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:06 am

ROClarke wrote:I have a helmet with blue tooth, works so much better than trying to hear the sat nav at high speed and means I do not even have to look at the sat nav when it is connected to the helmet.
Watfordwhite

Postby Kev Fox » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:00 pm

TomTom Rider 410 here in conjunction with Tyre as mentioned in a previous post. Took us to Adria pre plotted road by road. Also used a couple of times for C2C plotting Pricey's route in corner by corner. Downside is they can take away from the beautiful ride and scenery watching it constantly.
Kev Fox

Postby bookertmgs1 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:31 am

Tomtom rider powered by scootronics converter.

You need a stable power source

Definitely go for the biker version rather conventional car one.

Revelation for me - no more worrying about how long to petrol stations, accurate speed, etc etc. I Don’t bother with listening to the directions - the screen is enough for me
bookertmgs1

Postby compass » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:50 pm

So..(remember this is for dummies-me), I can plug a scootronics converter to my Casatronic AC ignition to get a steady DC current to power the Sat Nav which is plugged in line to the converter.

What are peoples using for brackets/mounting etc?

Thanks for all suggestions so far.

Compass 8-)
compass

Postby NorthernJordan » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:20 pm

https://sw-motech.com/en/products/navig ... 036716.htm

I use this, lots of options for mounting and a good case. Cheaper kits from ebay are crap.

I found it is easier to mount sat when using a hydraulic brake.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-M ... SwVuNbF9vo

Also helpful when coming to place the satnav.
NorthernJordan

Postby Knowledge » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:42 pm

I have constructed my own version of the C2C screen, but manufactured from ali sheet, which is welded to the headset top.

The idea is to get the Garmin Nuvi satnav as high up as possible so you don't have to take your eyes off the road, or crane your neck.

You can see that I have fitted a pukka cradle for the Garmin, which includes the proper charger within.

Although the angle of the screen looks about right in these photos, it isn't. The screen needs to lie flatter than this, and I have subsequently altered the bracket so it is easier to read.
Knowledge

Postby compass » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:33 pm

Knowledge wrote:I have constructed my own version of the C2C screen, but manufactured from ali sheet, which is welded to the headset top.

The idea is to get the Garmin Nuvi satnav as high up as possible so you don't have to take your eyes off the road, or crane your neck.

You can see that I have fitted a pukka cradle for the Garmin, which includes the proper charger within.

Although the angle of the screen looks about right in these photos, it isn't. The screen needs to lie flatter than this, and I have subsequently altered the bracket so it is easier to read.

Very nice Knowledge and best set up I have seen yet...but you know what they say!

No one likes a show off :lol:
compass

Postby Knowledge » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:15 am

LoL
Knowledge

Postby maddogmadox » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:46 pm

A few people on this page have mentioned the program tyre for pre planning a route for your garmin or tom tom .
the tyre program if you dont know has gone tits up , due to the free program not having the google maps licence anymore, but this is no problem just switch to
https://www.myrouteapp.com/routelab this is the other side of the program that is part of the tyre company you can use it on a free option , but i can promise you it is well worth paying for the year licence as it gives you better map options and opens up different route planning options, it takes a little while to get used to but on the main page just click the new routes tab and give it a go, then all your routes will be in your routes tab to get again.
you can get the full program for a short period to try it out but it then defaults to basic again, you can continue using it in basic mode but the paid mode is better, i suppose it depends how much you like it if you think its worth paying for
I have the ten legs of our poland trip all logged and saved using this program all ready to stick into the tom tom rider 400

i have found the tom tom rider to be a perfect scooter option coupled with the program listed above, i am using the varitronic kit to power it via the trickle feed going to a small battery located behind the leg shield wheel carrier and it has worked well this way for years
maddogmadox

Next

Return to Tuning & Kits