LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

BGM RT

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

BGM RT

Postby rossclark » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:36 pm

I was doing the dry build on my RT tonight and have hit a bit of a problem.

I fitted the piston, pushed down the barrel as far as it would go, no base gasket and checked the alignment of the piston with the transfers - it's about 2-3 mm below. Odd, because it's a Spanish casing and while I know some of these can be a little high at the gasket face, I wasn't expecting that much.

Looking round I can see the barrel isn't all the way home. I think it must be hitting the casing on the spigot.

image.jpeg

I take it off remove the piston and refit looking down the barrel the spigot is definitely well short of the casing.

Off it comes again and I check my SX barrel back on - it goes down all the way. I check the spigot length and the BGM is actually shorter in the spigot by about 1.5mm.

I push the barrel back on and it's definitely coming to a hard stop with a distinct 'tink'.

I pull it up and down a few times till eventually I get a little witness mark -

image.jpeg

Turns out it's hitting on the back of the mag flange where the additional base gasket area is (arrowed)

image.jpeg

Anyone seen this before?

I'l thinking to relieve the area where the witness mark is with a file to clear the mag flange. There's plenty of meat for it still to seal.

Anyone think I should relieve the mag flange or possibly both?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rossclark

Re: BGM RT

Postby ULC Soulagent » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:47 am

Never had any fitting issues with my 3 Rt kits :?
ULC Soulagent

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:34 pm

rossclark wrote:I was doing the dry build on my RT tonight and have hit a bit of a problem.

I fitted the piston, pushed down the barrel as far as it would go, no base gasket and checked the alignment of the piston with the transfers - it's about 2-3 mm below. Odd, because it's a Spanish casing and while I know some of these can be a little high at the gasket face, I wasn't expecting that much.

Looking round I can see the barrel isn't all the way home. I think it must be hitting the casing on the spigot.

image.jpeg

I take it off remove the piston and refit looking down the barrel the spigot is definitely well short of the casing.

Off it comes again and I check my SX barrel back on - it goes down all the way. I check the spigot length and the BGM is actually shorter in the spigot by about 1.5mm.

I push the barrel back on and it's definitely coming to a hard stop with a distinct 'tink'.

I pull it up and down a few times till eventually I get a little witness mark -

image.jpeg

Turns out it's hitting on the back of the mag flange where the additional base gasket area is (arrowed)

image.jpeg

Anyone seen this before?

I'l thinking to relieve the area where the witness mark is with a file to clear the mag flange. There's plenty of meat for it still to seal.

Anyone think I should relieve the mag flange or possibly both?

I have encountered similar issues with other kits, though not bought into the RT specifically.

I have always modified the magneto housing by filing a nice, radiused clearance.

You are obviously being careful & aware that fitting of parts that cause interference need addressing, & my outlook is that the casing & magneto housing are best modified just in case any other kit needs fitting, RT or otherwise.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby rossclark » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:26 am

Thanks for the thoughts guys, I've spent a little time with it tonight and filed a little relief into the base face of the barrel. It now sits down ok.

As its a Spanish casing with what appears to be a high gasket face, it looks like I'll have to run it with no base gasket in order to get the ports and squish right, so I will also relieve the back of the mag housing a little just to be sure that it's clear.

Cheers.
rossclark

Return to Tuning & Kits