LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

JL4 vs Franspeed Supertourer

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

JL4 vs Franspeed Supertourer

Postby Leotech » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:23 am

Anyone have any real world experience of using these two pipes one the same engine?

I'm currently using a Fanspeed Supertourer, but not 100% happy with it.
Leotech

Re: JL4 vs Franspeed Supertourer

Postby Scooterdude » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:56 am

I’ve not got any experience of the above but have heard it said on many occasions that dispite it’s name the Super tourer is much more revvy/ peakey than the fran race which again dispite the name has a broader power band and isn’t peakey.

Would be interested to hear differences between jl4 and fran race.

Ps: sorry to jump all over your thread :shock:
Scooterdude

Postby ULC Soulagent » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:56 am

Leotech wrote:Anyone have any real world experience of using these two pipes one the same engine?

What are you not happy about on Supertourer?
The two pipes that u mention are like chalk n cheese depending on the engine spec.
ULC Soulagent

Postby MickYork » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:18 pm

On my Avanti i found the Tourer could pull 4.4 or 4.6 without issue and with a good spread of power. The JL4 needed a 4.8 minimum and the power band was quite high and narrow. Hills and head winds were it's downfall. And riding in slow moving groups (up to 60mph) was a pain.

I would suggest the Tourer to be a good all round pipe and the JL4 good for motorways and fast riding...but little else.

Saying that i now run a Franspeed race which has similar characteristics to the JL4 but a slightly lower power band and possibly not quite as narrow as the JL4. Although it's a pain slow riding and hills and head winds can be quite challenging on the gear change, i keep the pipe on for it's fun factor !! No crawling past lorries on the motorways, hit the power band and fly past them :D
MickYork

Postby col68 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:06 pm

Leotech wrote:Anyone have any real world experience of using these two pipes one the same engine?

Sold mine and fitted a tsr evo . In what way not happy ??
col68

Postby Leotech » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:35 pm

Its just flat below 5200 revs in top. then it goes well. to about 7500 rpm

I want a broader spread of useable power. its on a Avanti 60x100 and it won't pull anywhere hear 4.4 5.2 standard GP200 gearing.

it will cruise at 50 and hold power at 4500 but to get it to accelerate well you have to change down or wait a lifetime.

I ask about the JL4 as I have one here I bought cheap.
Leotech

Postby MickYork » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:23 pm

With the JL4 you'll be changing down more often...

Mine pulled 4.4 fine, what's the rest of your spec' ?
MickYork

Postby Leotech » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:09 pm

MickYork wrote:With the JL4 you'll be changing down more often...

Mine pulled 4.4 fine, what's the rest of your spec' ?

Its the usual PHBH30 carb Varitronic etc. GP200 box std sprockets.

60x110

Avanti Reed.
PHBH 30
Atomiser AV266
Main 140
Pilot 55
Needle x7 2nd clip

JL3 pipe

1.25 squish

I'm pretty sure its just a bum cylinder.

I built it 3 years ago first to ride to Milan but it was even worse then and I gave up with it. The transfer timings were like 117 so I raised them to 124 and its a bit better, It just wants to rev but this kit is meant to be all about torque
Last edited by Leotech on Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leotech

Postby MickYork » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:40 pm

You could be right about the cylinder. There's four of us that ride Avantis and they all seem to perform differently.

Can't comment on the RT or GT but i'm very happy with the Avanti.

TMX 35
Franspeed Race
GP box with 46/19
Untouched barrel (other than matched inlet and exhaust)

23 BHP and topped out at 84 on GPS (18 stone with tent and gear).
MickYork

Postby Leotech » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:52 pm

Of the 3 I have the RT235 with a reed is trust worthy and reliable, the GT240 is probably the fastest but it breaks reeds when you lease expect it.

Its a toss up between those two. Avanti has potential but its just not what everyone said theirs is. I fitted a reed block etc.
Last edited by Leotech on Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leotech

Postby holty » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:59 pm

when you added the reed block did you also add a boost port ?
holty

Postby Leotech » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:10 pm

No, Ron said not to but I scooped the back out of the piston It's got almost 180 inlet timing.

The reed wasn't about top speed performance, it was about trying clean up the bottom end and saving fuel compared with the blow back of the piston ported engine.
Leotech

Postby Adam_Winstone » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:14 pm

If you're after low RPM touring grunt then neither of those pipes is going to help you over the JL3. I've run all 3 on Avantis and the JL3 is going to give you the better touring and/or ability to pull a higher 4th ratio.

That said, I actually settled on the Supertourer, 4.8 and advance/retard ignition to bring back the low RPM range power.

The JL4 is happily a 10K pipe on the right motor... hardly touring in my book.
Adam_Winstone

Postby Adam_Winstone » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:16 pm

Ps - JL4 always split/crack on the u-bend wiggle, which is another reason not to tour on one.
Adam_Winstone

Postby Leotech » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:12 pm

I can see a Indian Stg 4 cylinder coming soon.

As you know Adam I've been struggling with this top end for 3 years. It's nothing like everyone says it should be. Ive had 3 or 4 pipes on it over the time, even a BGM but that really didn't make much difference.
Last edited by Leotech on Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leotech

Postby coaster » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:03 pm

Leotech wrote:No, Ron said not to but I scooped the back out of the piston It's got almost 180 inlet timing.

The reed wasn't about top speed performance, it was about trying clean up the bottom end and saving fuel compared with the blow back of the piston ported engine.

Ron said the same to me, its because he believes that cutting windows in the piston will lead to failure. I had alredy modded my piston when I fitted a ScootRs reed manifold to it and it was utterly fantastic and would pull from 25mph in 4th pulling strongly until it came on pipe when it would take off like a TS1, no spitback, no flat spots with 4.6 gearing and a Supertourer. Unfortunately I was plagued with air leaks with that reed manifold and it ate 2 pistons. The second piston I left as standard apart from 3mm off the inlet side of the skirt. Ron said ity wouldnt make any difference but it was nothing like it was with the windows in the piston :( it was fine up to about 40mph but then fealt strangled. I should point out that I'd fitted a 60/110 GT crank when I changed the piston so maybe that had an effect? Unfortunately the reed manifold let air in again and I blew that piston too and the barrel has sat on my shelf ever since. and was replaced by a GT200 kit.

I will try again with the Avanti as I have a spare big block case and will need an engine for my recentlty aquired Winter Model project 8-)

If you were tempted by the Fran Supertourer, I have a new one which was sold to me as a Race which is surplus to requirements and Im open to offers ;)
coaster

Postby westy » Mon May 30, 2022 10:36 pm

Sorry to jump in to your post but, can anyone give advise on which gives broadest power range across all revs between JL3 vs JL Supertourer ?

I emailed Oliver Lomas and he reccommended the Supertourer has best all range power better than the JL3, but is the Evo more usable?
Im running a Mugello 198, 26mm jetex on an Sx150 standard gearbox. Despite the 3 to 4 ratio, I'd prefer to keep it. Any advice?
westy

Postby coaster » Tue May 31, 2022 12:07 am

westy wrote:Sorry to jump in to your post but, can anyone give advise on which gives broadest power range across all revs between JL3 vs JL Supertourer ?

I emailed Oliver Lomas and he reccommended the Supertourer has best all range power better than the JL3, but is the Evo more usable?
Im running a Mugello 198, 26mm jetex on an Sx150 standard gearbox. Despite the 3 to 4 ratio, I'd prefer to keep it. Any advice?

The JL3 runs out of puff well befor 7k rpm
coaster

Postby westy » Tue May 31, 2022 10:49 am

if theJL3 runs out of puff early, am i better going with the JLSupertourer, or the Evo?
I want good pull around town and useful for long trips..
westy

Postby coaster » Tue May 31, 2022 12:48 pm

westy wrote:if theJL3 runs out of puff early, am i better going with the JLSupertourer, or the Evo?
I want good pull around town and useful for long trips..

That depends on which top end you are using it with, also the JL3 has pretty bad ground clearance issues with the down pipe grounding on left hand bends especially two up. I have heard that said about the TSR pipe too.
coaster

Next

Return to Tuning & Kits