LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

JL4 vs Franspeed Supertourer

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Re: JL4 vs Franspeed Supertourer

Postby Storkfoot » Tue May 31, 2022 6:00 pm

westy wrote:if theJL3 runs out of puff early, am i better going with the JLSupertourer, or the Evo?
I want good pull around town and useful for long trips..

I haven’t ridden a Mugello 198 first of all. But, I’d hazard an educated guess, given your carb and especially gearing, you may end up with a scooter where you have to slip the clutch and absolutely rev its nuts off in third before slamming it into 4th. That would not be fun to ride at all.

That applies to both the exhausts you refer to. I’d pick up the phone and speak to CamLam if I were you.

PS. I ran an SX 150 gearbox for several years on a modestly tuned 185 SR barrel. It was just about okay with an AF Clubman on it but when I swapped that exhaust to a Fresco, I really noticed the 3rd to 4th jump. I think that gearbox is probably fine on, say, a 175 with a Clubman but anything more powerful with an expansion, no.
Storkfoot

Postby westy » Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:10 am

mostly just me riding only occasionally 2 for short journeys.
It's running a Mugello 198, 26mm Jetex, variotronic 12v, sweet breath filter but standard SX150 gearing & sprockets.
Did ask Camlam, they suggested a JL3 so this is a bit confusing if you think it runs out of puff quickly and has crap ground clearance.....confused.com....is the carb too small ?
What do I need to do to get better all round use, change front sprocket ? Would like to try and keep the original SX box...Advise?
westy

Postby westy » Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:13 am

as for slipping clutch and slamming 3 to 4, Im already doing this as I have an Ancollotti / Big Bore Club type pipe on as it is...not sure what size it is... :|
westy

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:30 pm

westy wrote:Sorry to jump in to your post but, can anyone give advise on which gives broadest power range across all revs between JL3 vs JL Supertourer ?

I emailed Oliver Lomas and he reccommended the Supertourer has best all range power better than the JL3, but is the Evo more usable?
Im running a Mugello 198, 26mm jetex on an Sx150 standard gearbox. Despite the 3 to 4 ratio, I'd prefer to keep it. Any advice?

in the 70's, the cheap GP 150 that I bought to keep mobile whilst I fixed my GP 200 was caned everywhere & the only modification made was the gutting of the standard silencer. TBH it coped well with two up riding which is indicative of the top end set-up. The OEM 22 mm Dell'Orto suited it perfectly.

That's not to say that's the case for a Mugello kit, though, to be fair, with identical inlet & exhaust to OEM, the Mugello might work well.

As you have changed the exhaust & carburation, very likely there is an increase in power but the useable torque will have gone up the rev range.

I reckon your cheapest option to get around the 'mismatch' created is to fit a 'good' used gearbox with better ratio differences. There must be loads of OEM 'boxes no longer in use as the popularity of five speed gearboxes has risen.

That could well be the simplest solution rather than speculating on various exhaust options.... ;)
Warkton Tornado No.1

Previous

Return to Tuning & Kits