LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Too much squish

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Too much squish

Postby Martin s » Fri May 10, 2019 11:02 pm

I have been fitting a rapido classic 225 to my engine build. Fitted barrel piston and head without gaskets and squish
is coming out at 1.8mm. I wondered what would be the options please as it's a standard size 58x107 crank. Indian casing.
Tried an early Mugello 200 on it and squish is massive, doesn't even compress solder. The top of the Mugello kit has
a raised casting which probably doesn't help. Wish I'd got a longer crank now. Would I be looking at getting either
barrel skimmed?
Cheers
Martin.
Martin s

Re: Too much squish

Postby Adam_Winstone » Sat May 11, 2019 12:44 am

TBH 1.8mm squish will be absolutely fine. In your shoes I would assemble it without gaskets, use a dab of a decent sealant and be done with it. You could start to get bits machine but I very much doubt that you would be able to determine any difference in performance or running.

Adam
Adam_Winstone

Postby Knowledge » Sat May 11, 2019 7:55 pm

Where does the piston crown sit at BDC when compared to the bottom of the transfers/exhaust port?

This should be one of the deciding factors when considering shortening or spacing the barrel, but if there are no strange anomalies in the piston/port position, do as Adam suggests
Knowledge

Postby Martin s » Sat May 11, 2019 9:30 pm

The ports were level on both kits. I've gone with the rapido for now, as Adam says I probably
wouldn't notice. Looking to get something more exotic soon so see what happens.
Never straightforward these things, the money I've spent I could have just bored out the SIL barrel
that was on it to 225 or got something like an RT kit and long crank which might have gone together
easier. Cheers fellas.
Martin s

Return to Tuning & Kits