LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Af 5speed

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Af 5speed

Postby steve chapman » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:20 pm

So how is everyone getting on with the af 5speed since the initial problem
Steve
steve chapman

Re: Af 5speed

Postby dscscotty » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:02 pm

Our group 6 race bike was the first one to let go, we also tested the new selector, which is still in, no issues, puts out around 36bhp; also fitted several In road motors including one that was 2nd in last yrs LCGB;-BSM Championship, so they get my thumbs up!
AFRB250-Close 5 gearbox
dscscotty

Postby Knowledge » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:02 pm

I am fitting one at the moment Steve. I have started with the new double-row hub bearing, which it fitted tonight. I have also fitted new pawls to the selector arm and a new sleeve to the selector rod.

Tomorrow I will start the business of fitting the actual gear box.
Knowledge

Postby steve chapman » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:38 pm

Thanks guys , let me know how you get on both fitting and using it knowledge
steve chapman

Postby Knowledge » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:25 pm

Hi Steve.

I got the box in tonight, and after a couple of false starts, the gearbox is in, the end plate on and the shins all in place.

I have got to say, it spins better than any gearbox I have installed previously, though this might be in part due to the new double-race rear hub bearing, which has a lot less friction.

Now to get the clutch back in, and ride the thing.

(BTW, the 5speed cluster is undrilled, so you need a clutch pressure plate without a spindle, or a different sort of clutch)
Knowledge

Postby steve chapman » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:36 pm

Just started fitting my 5speed , and I'm struggling to shim it up, the gearbox originally had a 1.8 shim in, af recommend you use 1mm lower which would take me to .8mm , but again af say shim must be between 1.4 and 2mm, I have gone down to 1.4 and the gearbox is locking up , spoken to af and they are sending me 2 x 0.5 sims to go under the rear hub bearing has any one else had this problem if so how did you sort it . Thanks Steve
steve chapman

Postby dscscotty » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:33 pm

Hi Steve, 5 speed gearboxes take time and patience to fit, correct shimming is crucial and at times difficult/time consuming often due to the vast amount of different parts/layshaft/rear hub bearings/end plates from various origins, I've had some go straight in and some where packing the layshaft or rear hub bearing is require to get the gear stack and cluster to mesh correctly, it'll be worth it in the end, Good Luck!
dscscotty

Postby steve chapman » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:39 am

Thanks dscscotty
steve chapman

Postby Scooterdude » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:19 pm

Knowledge wrote:
(BTW, the 5speed cluster is undrilled, so you need a clutch pressure plate without a spindle, or a different sort of clutch)

Ive had this when fitting an AF cr 4 speed, i got round it by simply cutting the spindle off with a die grinder. :o
Scooterdude

Postby Knowledge » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:38 am

I didn’t want to cut off the spindle, as I thought it unlikely that I would ever find another Atomic deep pressure plate with a spindle.

I was directed to Beedspeed who sell a deep pressure plate without a spindle. It arrived the next day and worked a treat.
Knowledge

Postby steve chapman » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:18 pm

got it fitted and so far so good , not sure what you mean about the cluster not been drilled and pressure plate ?
steve chapman

Postby Knowledge » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:31 pm

Hi Steve.

Some Innocenti clusters (Christmas trees) are drilled down the centre of the tree, from the clutch end. This practise was discontinued during production, no doubt as a cost saving exercise.

With the drilled trees, you can fit a pressure plate with a centre spindle. This design helps stabilise the pressure plate as it is depressed, which is a accepted as being a good thing.

I can fully understand it if you have never seen one in your travels, but they do exist. I might even pop a photo up later.

Martin
Knowledge

Postby Mark97 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:03 pm

It was common practice to drill them to allow the use of the pressure plates with spindles. Sure it was in Webbos tuning manual - I remember him sorting me out all of my racing clusters to make sure they were all drilled...... even when they were'nt originally.
Mark97

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:12 am

Mark97 wrote:It was common practice to drill them to allow the use of the pressure plates with spindles. Sure it was in Webbos tuning manual - I remember him sorting me out all of my racing clusters to make sure they were all drilled...... even when they were'nt originally.

They are hardened, so very difficult to drill, although Malc was a toolmaker by trade.......

The clusters with the holes are easily the best as far as clutch life, especially when having to sit on the line for extended periods @ the start of a race, as I'm sure you can equate to, Mark ;)
Warkton Tornado No.1

Return to Tuning & Kits