LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

New ignition from SIP/Vape

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

New ignition from SIP/Vape

Postby Scooterdude » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:35 am

Just been looking at the new multi-coil ignition system front SIP. One piece cnc flywheel, 8 coils on stator, built in advance/retard, bright lights etc etc.

Looks to good to be true and less expensive than casatronic and varitronic, Anyone using one? any good?
Scooterdude

Re: New ignition from SIP/Vape

Postby ULC Soulagent » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:40 pm

Only just been released so early days if somebody has taken the plunge and bought one.
ULC Soulagent

Postby MickYork » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:50 pm

My only thoughts with these type of kits is spares. Basically if you do the rallies and some decent miles you may want to carry spares. These type of kits make it cost prohibitive to carry spares and the chances of someone else having a spare is virtually non-existent. They may be more reliable but at some point they will fail.....then what.

Testing is also tricky as the best way to test is fit another unit (stator/cdi/flywheel). Again it is cost prohibitive to keep a spare kit to merely check when there's an issue.

I had a Varitronic but replaced it when going to the German Euro for the reasons stated. No issues with the Varitronic but breaking down in Germany with a faulty stator would have been critical.

Just some food for thought.
MickYork

Postby Digger » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:23 pm

MickYork wrote:My only thoughts with these type of kits is spares. Basically if you do the rallies and some decent miles you may want to carry spares. These type of kits make it cost prohibitive to carry spares and the chances of someone else having a spare is virtually non-existent. They may be more reliable but at some point they will fail.....then what.

Testing is also tricky as the best way to test is fit another unit (stator/cdi/flywheel). Again it is cost prohibitive to keep a spare kit to merely check when there's an issue.

I had a Varitronic but replaced it when going to the German Euro for the reasons stated. No issues with the Varitronic but breaking down in Germany with a faulty stator would have been critical.

Surely if you are going on a big trip with roadside repairs in mind you'd carry a spare stator, CDI, regulator and even a flywheel - whatever the flavour and not expect someone else to be carrying one?
Digger

Postby MickYork » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:24 pm

Digger wrote:
MickYork wrote:My only thoughts with these type of kits is spares. Basically if you do the rallies and some decent miles you may want to carry spares. These type of kits make it cost prohibitive to carry spares and the chances of someone else having a spare is virtually non-existent. They may be more reliable but at some point they will fail.....then what.

Surely if you are going on a big trip with roadside repairs in mind you'd carry a spare stator, CDI, regulator and even a flywheel - whatever the flavour and not expect someone else to be carrying one?

That's more or less my point. A spare indian stator/flywheel/cdi are relatively cheap, compared to a second Varitronic system (or similar). Plus if you didn't have a spare there would be a fair chance of another scooterist having one or picking one up of a stall/shop at a rally.
We usually travel in a small group of 4-7 and share out the spares between us. We all have "traditional" electronic set-ups.
MickYork

Postby Fast n Furious » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:33 am

I think the whole point of SIP's new development is that addresses the inherent weaknesses that exist with traditional magneto's giving riders some peace of mind. Not much point spending time and money on its development if it doesn't.
Ya don't see Jap bike riders carrying shit loads of spare bits on their rides and neither should we.
Of course,only time will tell if they have succeeded! :roll:
Fast n Furious

Postby corrado » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:52 am

Fast n Furious wrote: Not much point spending time and money on its development if it doesn't.

It's a shame that SIP or Vape didn't spend some time making a holding tool for the fan. Pointing me at the tool used on a Vespa or that I could stick a screwdriver or similar through the fan fins to hold it wasn't what I was hoping to hear from them.
corrado

Postby Knowledge » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:23 pm

Just to save you searching, here is a URL https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/products/ignition+sip+performance+by_510029ra

I note that there are "Road" and "Sport" versions, starting at 289 Euros.
Knowledge

Postby corrado » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:48 am

Knowledge wrote:
I note that there are "Road" and "Sport" versions, starting at 289 Euros.

Road is static timing and Sport is variable. Both versions available in AC or DC.
corrado

Postby dickie » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:14 am

I'm thinking of using one of these kits. But I've not been able to find any ignition curves. Does anyone have them?

Also, does the DC version still have an LT coil, or just a trigger to the CDI?
dickie

Return to Tuning & Kits