LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Crank

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Crank

Postby Binny » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:51 am

Has anyone any experience of using one of Cambridge Lambretta’s Ultimate cranks?
Also any thoughts on fitting the mag side bearing track to a new crank? In the past I’ve chilled the crank in the freezer and warmed the track so it pushed on but wondered if this was still acceptable practice.
Binny

Re: Crank

Postby Toddy » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:52 pm

Binny wrote:Has anyone any experience of using one of Cambridge Lambretta’s Ultimate cranks?
Also any thoughts on fitting the mag side bearing track to a new crank? In the past I’ve chilled the crank in the freezer and warmed the track so it pushed on but wondered if this was still acceptable practice.

No experience of cam lam cranks usually use Scotty on here to build mine and have used Darell Taylor cranks in other builds as well usually spot on , I warm the track but not directly usually role it on a piece of heated alloy in the vice then tap on with drift
Toddy

Postby Fast n Furious » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:47 pm

Freezing the crank and warming the inner race remains the preferred practice as far as I'm concerned. I used to warm my races in the oven but prefer to use my trusty electric paint stripping gun now. Avoid using a flame torch as this can easily blue the metal if you're not really careful.
I usually find the race will drop straight on this way, but not always. So, you will need a hollow drift and mallet at the ready to complete the job sometimes.
Fast n Furious

Postby rossclark » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:28 pm

I have blued one with an electric air gun, so now prefer to freeze the crank and emerge the race in hot water.
rossclark

Postby Dibs/SFSC » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:42 pm

BL, the last one I did had crank in freezer and warmed up the race (not too hot mind) and slips on nicely, you have to be quick and true though as you only get one chance.
Dibs/SFSC

Postby Binny » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:50 pm

Thanks for the replies lads - I’ll put the crank on ice!
Binny

Postby Scooterdude » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:32 pm

No experience with cam lam cranks but as far as mag side bearing tracks go I generally use a piece of tubing and bang em on cold all to easy to blue them with heat.

If i was in the market for a new crank I’d be looking at MB or DT.
Scooterdude

Return to Tuning & Kits