LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

What is the current thinking on cylinder kits?

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Re: What is the current thinking on cylinder kits?

Postby kev johnson » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:02 am

Im currently using Avanti 225, just done 2500 miles from Manchester to Poland and back, ran superb, panel only came off once to change a fouled plug.

30mm Delly, GP200 19X46 with Varitronic and CST3 pipe

Not the fastest but fast enough, 21bhp out the box
kev johnson

Postby Adam_Winstone » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:20 pm

^... like
Adam_Winstone

Postby corrado » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:44 pm

dickie wrote:
corrado wrote:The BGM RT kit has a very similar port layout to the Mugello. I fitted an LTH reed valve conversion to my Mugello 225 and it totally transformed it but you're adding £200 + to your total and an out of the box BGM195 or 225 kit ticks nearly all the boxes for what most riders want.

Seems odd to spend all that extra money on a Reed valve when there are so many Reed valve kits available. Rb22, monza, ss225, gt200 etc.

Is there something special about rt225 with reed?

I'd agree with you but In my case I holed the piston on my Mugello and I didn't have another piston, except a TS1 piston and I also had an LTH reed valve in my possession so I thought why not. One of the best decisions I've ever made, scootering wise. I realise that the tuners can turn a racer into a tourer etc but generally the kits that have reed valves (Granturismo probably the only exception) are high revving kits that produce their power higher in the rev range whereas the piston ported kits are generally not high revving so adding a reed valve gives you the benefits of both worlds. It won't win any races (apart from uphill races in 4th gear against TS1 kits when we both run tall gearing) but they make great touring kits with their extra mpg.
corrado

Postby corrado » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:46 pm

Donnie wrote:so on the BGM225 with a reedvalve what exhaust ye using?

Mine's a Mugello 225 and I'm using an ADS3 exhaust, they're now named CST3.
corrado

Postby corrado » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:49 pm

Donnie wrote:
ULC Soulagent wrote:
Donnie wrote:so on the BGM225 with a reedvalve what exhaust ye using?

Donnie,
I’m using Bgm v3 on mine and happy with it. A fellow club member has the same kit but used the Bgm V4 and it ended up strangling the engine :shock: weird so he reverted back too a dev-tour which transformed it.

aye, I had 2 bgms and both broke in little time :-/ Don't think I'd bother again

Avanti ex-box pipe would be the answer if you want to retain standard looks.
corrado

Postby Donnie » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:57 pm

Hmmmm Hard to choose between the 2 I have to admit, not too bothered about standard looks as such and have time as I need to suss out a reliable ally welder to do the work to the crank mouth too.

I like the idea of a reed I admit
Donnie

Postby ToBoldlyGo » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:18 pm

For what all this is going to cost you why don't you wait a little and buy one of the new Uni engine cases and stick a standard 200 top end on?
ToBoldlyGo

Postby Donnie » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:00 pm

Mainly as I've no interest in a new case, would rather use what I have to be honest especially as its a matching case to the scooter.
Donnie

Postby burnside » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:41 am

ToBoldlyGo wrote:For what all this is going to cost you why don't you wait a little and buy one of the new Uni engine cases and stick a standard 200 top end on?

Haven't there been issues with the UNI cases, something to do with endplate stud positions? Quite a lot of talk about it on Faceache over the last week
burnside

Postby shane BBoys » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:03 pm

HxPaul wrote:I have two Casa 185's with PHBL 25 carbs and clubman exhaust's.Not very fast(60 mph all day)but ultra reliable.

Paul what gears you using? A pal of mine is re- building and was hoping to use his GP 125 box, I presume an LI 150 box would be better.
Cheers Shane
shane BBoys

Postby ULC Soulagent » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:32 am

shane BBoys wrote:
HxPaul wrote:I have two Casa 185's with PHBL 25 carbs and clubman exhaust's.Not very fast(60 mph all day)but ultra reliable.

Paul what gears you using? A pal of mine is re- building and was hoping to use his GP 125 box, I presume an LI 150 box would be better.
Cheers Shane

Shane,
Get ur pal too use a 18t front sprocket, 82 link chain and a pull down tensioner. Nice 5.1 Fd instead of a 6.1. Fd ;)
ULC Soulagent

Postby Solid Air » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:01 am

brumtony wrote:Have you tried a quattrini ??? , they pull from nothing and you can go on a normal ride out hardly changing gear because of the torque or you can ride it like you stole it 6-8000 rev band .This kit is so versatile its untrue 40 mph for big steep hills just twist the throttle and its pulls you up when you see all around dropping down a cog .

Totally agree, try one ;) they are so useable, adaptable and easy to ride, pair with a Ron Moss Ex-Box ST and I'd be surprised if you didn't like it.
Solid Air

Postby gizmo » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:32 pm

Solid Air wrote:
brumtony wrote:Have you tried a quattrini ??? , they pull from nothing and you can go on a normal ride out hardly changing gear because of the torque or you can ride it like you stole it 6-8000 rev band .This kit is so versatile its untrue 40 mph for big steep hills just twist the throttle and its pulls you up when you see all around dropping down a cog .

Totally agree, try one ;) they are so useable, adaptable and easy to ride, pair with a Ron Moss Ex-Box ST and I'd be surprised if you didn't like it.
would one of the sil crankcases with the thicker cylinder flange be suitable to use on the quattrini kit
gizmo

Postby Solid Air » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:44 pm

A small block should be, there's varying ideas on whether beefing up the crankcase mouth with weld and matching the transfers is necessary but it's a great kit for the smallblock either way.
Solid Air

Postby corrado » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:28 am

gizmo wrote: would one of the sil crankcases with the thicker cylinder flange be suitable to use on the quattrini kit

As far as I know Martin at Chiselspeed has built plenty using unmodied Italian cases. It doesn't leave much gasket space but if it seals, it seals. I paid £30 to get a bit of weld added on either side to be safe rather than sorry, possibly overkill, but £30 versus £140 for a new piston.
corrado

Postby Solid Air » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:50 am

The reduced gasket face with opening up the transfers was a concern for me and the reason for building up with weld, but like you say Martin if it seals it seals. Whether the transfers need matching or not is another issue I think and everyone will have their own view on it.
Solid Air

Postby gizmo » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:49 pm

Solid Air wrote:The reduced gasket face with opening up the transfers was a concern for me and the reason for building up with weld, but like you say Martin if it seals it seals. Whether the transfers need matching or not is another issue I think and everyone will have their own view on it.
Scooterrestorations have the SIL crankcases with thicker cylinder flanges as an option
gizmo

Postby Meds » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:02 pm

This my experience only
I have an RT195 kit - and it pulls beautifully - cruises at 60 (gps) - drags my fat arse up hills and down dales, easy and a joy to ride.
I have an RT225 - reed and all the bits, pulls my fat arse up hill at 70 and cruses high 60’s- winner in its class at the Teesside 6
One of the riders - rides a Quattrini - his comment is that it feels like his, just not as quick- but having chased him round the dales- the quat is much much faster- more torque and better top end.
Honest opinion
Don’t blow the cash converting the case - there are smallblock kits that will provide you with what you want.
Meds

Postby GExS » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:54 pm

As mentioned, standard 200 kits with a decent piston are a good option. I don’t go any bigger than a 22mm Dellorto/ Jetex these days which are cheap, easy to set up and perform well. Exhausts, there’s nothing wrong with a standard DL/ GP one. Well put together parts and the carb jetted correctly and you can ride full throttle at 60/65mph all day long. Any speed over 65 and the front end starts to feel too light for me. Electronic kits are still worth the upgrade. Things like reed valves are just something else to go wrong. I also shoot for a final gear ratio of around 5.
If you get the chance have a ride on a well set up, standard GP200 with decent tyres on etc and you’ll be surprised how well it goes.
If I want to ride comfortably at a real 75/80+ I’ll jump on a motorbike.
GExS

Postby robbbee » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:45 pm

MickYork wrote:Avanti TT3 225.......now a proven kit with plenty of info'.

Recommend.
I run one with a TSR Evo pipe in a S2. Will pop along happily at 60, can wind it up to 70 for an overtake (if the road is long enough!!) and had it dynoed at around 19hp. Runs very cool (around 65/70 degrees according to my SIP speedo CHTG, sitting on the plug). Previous Imola kit produced only very slightly lower HP and was hitting a terrifying 120 degrees and more sometimes.

It did blow up though! :D :lol:
robbbee

PreviousNext

Return to Tuning & Kits