LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Standard with Steroids

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Re: Standard with Steroids

Postby rossclark » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:27 pm

steveg wrote:Malc Andreson (mechanic at MSC) used to get fantastic results with the Honda 205 conversion, but scarcity of pistons means it's not viable these days

MB has been advertising a newly made batch at about £90 for the piston it might be a viable conversion again

https://www.lambrettaspares.com/search/honda.html
rossclark

Postby superhooper » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:40 pm

[quote="Knowledge"]Superhooper on here has a standard 200 Indian barrel with a couple of minor port tweaks and a bolt-on reed valve (BGM?). It also has a boost port opposite the exhaust.

It runs on a BGM box pipe and 28mm Dell'orto and runs really well. All day, every day.
As knowledge has stated, but it's fitted with a LTH reed block & 26mm phbh not 28mm. Reed piston. Done quite a few thousand miles over the years, never missed a beat. Upto 50mpg maybe more with no luggage or pillion. Cruise at 60-63 loaded all day.
superhooper

Postby Bilko » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:56 pm

superhooper wrote:
Knowledge wrote:Superhooper on here has a standard 200 Indian barrel with a couple of minor port tweaks and a bolt-on reed valve (BGM?). It also has a boost port opposite the exhaust.

It runs on a BGM box pipe and 28mm Dell'orto and runs really well. All day, every day.
As knowledge has stated, but it's fitted with a LTH reed block & 26mm phbh not 28mm. Reed piston. Done quite a few thousand miles over the years, never missed a beat. Upto 50mpg maybe more with no luggage or pillion. Cruise at 60-63 loaded all day.

This is exactly what I want!

Martin suggested that you've had porting done. Can I ask to what extent?
Bilko

Postby superhooper » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:13 am

It was a second hand stage four indian barrel & head. Jb tuning reprofiled the head & did the porting. i don't know much about porting but sure it wasn't anything major, it has what i believe is called a finger port? running vertically along barrel. using li150 box. If your around the Essex/Suffolk border your welcome to have a ride of it. As long as your insured that is.
Regards Roy
superhooper

Postby Bilko » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:05 am

Thanks Roy. Appreciate it. That helps.
Bilko

Postby Knowledge » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:57 pm

Roy,

Do you remember what piston is fitted? I remember buying some new rings for it, but I can’t remember which piston. I don’t think it was anything fancy. Did the piston have holes in the skirt?

Bilko,

I don’t imagine the JB did too much to the barrel by way of porting, with the exception of the boost port, as it was already “stage 4”. You could try the Indian stage 4 barrel, LTH Reed, clubman and see how you get on. If it is not delivering, then send the parts to a tuner for a bit of porting over the winter.
Knowledge

Postby steveg » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:45 pm

Moving away a little from the subject but Dave Betts up in Mansfield used that finger port with a window in the piston skirt on those cheap ally 225 kits. I ran one for a couple of years and seemed to work well enough.
I'd originally asked him to fo me an Indian stage 4 bored to 205+ using an MB recetour piston when they first came out and were cheap.
He didn't but still think it would've been decent
steveg

Postby Bilko » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:22 am

Knowledge wrote:Bilko,

I don’t imagine the JB did too much to the barrel by way of porting, with the exception of the boost port, as it was already “stage 4”. You could try the Indian stage 4 barrel, LTH Reed, clubman and see how you get on. If it is not delivering, then send the parts to a tuner for a bit of porting over the winter.

I think this will be the first thing I'll try.
Bilko

Postby Bilko » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:45 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone. :)
Bilko

Postby corrado » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:41 am

Bilko wrote: I have TS1230, RT230 and GT193 engines. The TS1 gave me the best fuel economy at approximately 40-ish MPG.

I'm amazed that you can't get over 40 mpg from the GT kit. I've heard of them regularly getting 70mpg.
corrado

Postby Bilko » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:58 pm

corrado wrote:
Bilko wrote: I have TS1230, RT230 and GT193 engines. The TS1 gave me the best fuel economy at approximately 40-ish MPG.

I'm amazed that you can't get over 40 mpg from the GT kit. I've heard of them regularly getting 70mpg.

I'd have been delighted with 50!
Bilko

Postby Cgt75b » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:39 pm

Adam_Winstone wrote:Straight 70mm reborn 4.8 4th, clubman, clubman.

Job done.

Great with a forged Wossner piston, much more responsive off the throttle.
Cgt75b

Postby Adam_Winstone » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:17 pm

^... like
Adam_Winstone

Previous

Return to Tuning & Kits