LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Silk purse from a sow's ear

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Re: Silk purse from a sow's ear

Postby Fast n Furious » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:29 am

dickie wrote:I need a flywheel. Usually, I use a 2kg gp type, but I'm thinking of being a bit different and using an af lightweight one at about 1.4kg.

I'll have external trigger, so no issue there, but I'm sure I've heard of problems with them.

Anyone know more?

I think it's a 'pot luck' situation really and it just depends on how you wrag it.
Under 25hp, then those machined down indian flywheels are usually ok.
Best to lap grind any new flywheel to the crank first. and make sure the woodruff key doesn't "bottom out" after the flywheel has been taper locked to the crank.
Fast n Furious

Postby dickie » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:06 am

Fast n Furious wrote:I think it's a 'pot luck' situation really and it just depends on how you wrag it.
Under 25hp, then those machined down indian flywheels are usually ok.
Best to lap grind any new flywheel to the crank first. and make sure the woodruff key doesn't "bottom out" after the flywheel has been taper locked to the crank.

Thanks f&f but it's the af one I'm asking about. I usually use those lightened Indian ones and can get round their issues no problem.

But I hear the af one has some other problems. But I don't know what they are.
dickie

Postby martyn dwane » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:29 pm

i believe they run fine with the external pick up.
martyn dwane

Postby Wee Mark » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:29 pm

The very light AF flywheels make starting a pain and it also makes the Scooter difficult to ride round town
Wee Mark

Postby martyn dwane » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:15 pm

Wee Mark wrote:The very light AF flywheels make starting a pain and it also makes the Scooter difficult to ride round town

gotta disagree with your statement , ive used an original AF light flywheel (Ducati type) since they first came out . not hard to start at all and a joy to use up and down thru the gears and around town.
martyn dwane

Postby Fast n Furious » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:28 am

Agreed... it doesn't make it any harder to start. However......... it is likely to make it more prone to kickback which isn't good for our aging knee joints!
One way around this (albeit costly) is to use a programmable ignition system that sets the ignition advance to 14 degrees BTDC for speeds under 800RPM. Programmable ignition maps are very good at compensating for lumpy low rpm running caused by the lack of inertia from a lightened flywheel.
Fast n Furious

Postby dickie » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:48 am

Well, I've bought one anyway. As this build will have fairly high port timings and an expansion, it seemed to make sense. Also, when I searched around, it seemed like pick up alignment was an issue but as an external-pickup-convert, this isn't an issue for me.

Barely touched it lately as I've been doing a couple of jobs for others and fixing the car. Then there's all the boozing commitments to deal with :D
dickie

Postby ROClarke » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:22 pm

8-)
ROClarke

Postby dickie » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:41 am

Decided to shelve this job for a while. I've got too many jobs half-cocked at the minute. Next winter probably.
dickie

Previous

Return to Tuning & Kits