LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Ts1 replacement piston Ron Moss Matika piston

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Ts1 replacement piston Ron Moss Matika piston

Postby al pushpak » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:15 pm

Hi, I want replace the asso piston in my ts1 kit & was wondering if anyone has used one of the above pistons, my kit is totally standard with no tuning .I run it one of Ron Moss ex box exhausts & a 30mm phbh . I was going to purchase a wossner piston as a replacement but they are out of stock everywhere so was considering one of these. thanks for any info ;)
al pushpak

Re: Ts1 replacement piston Ron Moss Matika piston

Postby Norrie Bodge » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:00 pm

al pushpak wrote:Hi, I want replace the asso piston in my ts1 kit & was wondering if anyone has used one of the above pistons, my kit is totally standard with no tuning .I run it one of Ron Moss ex box exhausts & a 30mm phbh . I was going to purchase a wossner piston as a replacement but they are out of stock everywhere so was considering one of these. thanks for any info ;)

Got one running in a steel liner TS1
As long as your inlet boost port hasn’t been opened up these pistons are fine...

Wouldn’t a new set off rings for the Asso be suffice? Or is this piston damaged?
Norrie Bodge

Postby al pushpak » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:11 pm

Hi Norrie thanks for the quick reply & info, the cylinder is totally standard with no porting, my asso piston is little scuffed but nothing major, I just fancied upgrading to a lighter piston ;)
al pushpak

Postby dscscotty » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:20 pm

Be careful of piston to bore clearance- Avanti piston grades do not match nicasil TS1 grades i:e grade A avanti does not match grade A Asso TS1 The clearance will not be sufficient and will cause issue
dscscotty

Postby al pushpak » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:33 pm

Ok thanks, I think I will probably wait until the wossner pistons come back into stock as I was told by both AFR & Andy Francis that the wossner piston will be a straight swap for my " B " grade cylinder ;) cheers
al pushpak

Postby Scooterdude » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:44 pm

Why not use one of the MB Meteor reed pistons designed for the RT reed kit? These come graded, a, b, c, and d. I tried one of the Mitaka ts1 pistons on my RT and found it rather heavy compared with the Meteor or Wossner.
Scooterdude

Postby Norrie Bodge » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:04 pm

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3988852292

Give Ron a Pm regarding grade/clearances for your TS cylinder
I thinks his username is grandpa on here
Norrie Bodge

Postby dscscotty » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:12 pm

He doesn't need to I've told him! if you do contact him tell Ron I said hello and sorry i didn't make him that brew at Lydden!
dscscotty

Postby coaster » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:23 am

dscscotty wrote:He doesn't need to I've told him! if you do contact him tell Ron I said hello and sorry i didn't make him that brew at Lydden!

The Matica pistons that Ron sells are not tyhe same as ther Avanti ones, I have used one in a standard TS1 and it worked fine untill an air leak killed it. I tried to buy another one to use in an Avanti with a rteed valve but Ron intercepted the sale to tell me it would be suitable for my Avanti as they were made for the TS1.

Hope that helps 8-)
coaster

Postby gaz_powell » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:39 pm

RM pistons on ebay today noted as;
A - 69.97
B - 69.98

I'm sure they did a 69.99 - C shown on website

Having used only one, ring peg very close the inlet edge and made by KHC (Mitaka don't actually make pistons)

Only way to select one against a used nicosil barrel is have the barrel accurately measured.

When I last swapped a TS1 piston in a used barrel, it ended up been a C piston in a B barrel. That's was an asso and AF did the measuring etc. Done loads of miles on it.

Personally I don't think you can go wrong with Asso
Last edited by gaz_powell on Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
gaz_powell

Postby al pushpak » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:34 pm

Thanks for all your replies , think I'm going to wait til the wossner piston's come back into stock, nothing against asso piston's or Ron Moss piston's I just fancied using a wossner as they are said to be a lot lighter. cheers ;)
al pushpak

Postby Scooterdude » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:55 pm

al pushpak wrote:Thanks for all your replies , think I'm going to wait til the wossner piston's come back into stock, nothing against asso piston's or Ron Moss piston's I just fancied using a wossner as they are said to be a lot lighter. cheers ;)

The MB reed piston is very slightly lighter than the Wossner. Last time I checked there were no spare rings available for the 70 mm Wossner, this was over 6 months ago and I’ve heard nothing since dispite being promised a call as soon as they are available.
Scooterdude

Postby al pushpak » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:26 pm

Just had a look at the MB meteor reed piston's & they do look a nice bit of kit, I also like the fact they are lighter than the wossner piston. My next question is ( & please be gentle as maths isn't my greatest subject lol! ) that I have measured my cylinder with a digital Vernier gauge internally at several different points & the measurements I get seem to between 69.5 & 69.6 does this seem correct? thanks for any info ;) ps as stated in my earlier post my asso piston is a grade B cheers.
al pushpak

Postby Fast n Furious » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:18 pm

Verniers can't be used accurately enough when measuring cylinder bores. You need a bore micrometer.
Fast n Furious

Postby al pushpak » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:23 pm

Thanks, just had a PM regarding the correct way to measure the cylinder will try & get it measured at a motorcycle cycle dealer near my place of work thanks again for all your input
al pushpak

Postby carlos fandango » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:50 pm

I changed from Asso to Wossner on my TS in the summer , Wosner has a lower crown profile than the Asso , so the head needed reprofileing.
carlos fandango

Postby gaz_powell » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:21 am

My well used grade B with C piston is back after an emergency loan to a friend to go Poland. Piston looking a bit tired so both off to be measured/checked on Monday. Hoping it will take the next piston before a replate.
I'll report back Monday.
gaz_powell

Postby al pushpak » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:26 am

Anyone ever used one of the Casa reed valve 70 mm pistons in their Ts1 ? cheers
al pushpak

Postby ULC Soulagent » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:37 am

I’ve a casa reed piston for my spare ts1 that mb had tuned for touring, turns out the ring peg position will only fit in a standard barrel and the crown has a flatter profile so ended up using mb meteor piston and head. Managed to get a standard ts1 barrel which needs a replate so the casa piston n black line head will be used for that as a spare spare :lol:
ULC Soulagent

Postby al pushpak » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:56 am

I thought the Casa pistons had the same crown heights as the asso's 39mm but then again all this piston malarkey has definitely been a learning curve lol! :D
al pushpak

Next

Return to Tuning & Kits